Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Why the language filters object to this artist's name I do not know, but for those who are wondering it is spelled M-e-w-t-o-n hyphen Wood. I much admire his work, and I'm especially fond his account of the Beethoven 4th cto. Many of his recordings, including that one and the one you have, first appeared on Musical Masterpiece Society 10" LPs. MMS was a mail-order club type outfit, as I understand it the "music for the masses" wing of the more esoterically inclined Concert Hall Society. Nearly all the MMS issues were 10" LPs. M-W recorded all three Tchaikowsky concerti for that label, and somebody or other reissued them on CD some years back. Incidentally, he died young by his own hand.

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

More on M-Wood

I should have added that he did record for English Decca during the 78 era, including the first two Weber piano sonatas and Schumann's Symphonic Etudes. Maybe more, but those are what I have (aside from an odd bit of Chopin).

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Drh, thanks for the info on NMW. I came across him by way of www serendipity last week, so I was glad to discover a hard-to-find, OOP CD in the bins. And it is very good, I'm happy to report.

Now playing:
    • Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 1 - Artur Schnabel.
      Naxos Historical 2002, Producer and Audio Restoration Engineer: Mark Obert-Thorn, this is my first Schnabel disc of Beethoven's 'New Testament' and I am floored by Schnabel's performance and Obert-Thorn's careful restoration -- fantastic!!

4. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now playing (recorded 1960):

Attached Files:

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Surely an opportunist who lies in wait for all the other copies to be sold and for that compulsive buyer who just "has to have it" come along.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Glad you are liking it! MOT is easily my favorite restoration engineer. He makes historical stuff more user-friendly without placing the piano underwater. :D

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Can any of you recommend a good CD with mandolins? I don't know if I want one with just the mandolin, but maybe some concerto, or maybe chamber music, or rock/pop/folk. I love it in Mahler, in Vivaldi, and in R.E.M.'s music.

8. Jay F

I thought it must have been Button-Wood.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

How about newgrass?

http://www.amazon.com/Telluride-Ses...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231951249&sr=1-1

(the cornerstone newgrass album)

Anything with Chris Thile (although the Nickel Creek stuff is closer to bluegrass). Try

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Cauldron-Marshall-Chris-Thile/dp/B00008YJHY/ref=pd_sim_m_2

I also have an album by the Modern Mandolin Quartet, but they all appear to be out of print

10. Jay F

11. john greenwood

12. George P

George P Notable Member

13. George P

George P Notable Member

14. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Any thoughts on Martha Argerich? BMG has a box set from DG that's 8 CDs and less than $20.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

That's an incredible set by an incredible pianist at an incredible bargain! Do it!

16. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied

Please excuse my jumping in out of nowhere, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any *great* recordings of Choral Rachamninoff on vinyl? I have some on CD, but I'm really looking for vinyl.

17. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I'm kinda waiting on a box set sale before jumping in. If one doesn't pop up in the next few months, I might just buy em with a free shipping code.

18. Jay F

Thanks, Evan. I just bought it for $18.22 total. The code is J9S1. I also got Bernstein's Tchaikovsky 4-5-6 on DG for $12.71.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Listening to this:

[​IMG]

More great Cortot peformances and Mark Obert Thorn transfers.

Part of my MDT order, which arrived today! It was well packaged in a strong cardboard box with double bubble wrap on the inside. :)

For those keeping score, it was shipped on 1/7/09, so it took a week to arrive. Not bad.

20. Jay F

That's good to hear. Nothing for me today, though.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you get a confirmation email about your order being dispatched? If so, when?

22. john greenwood

The first of two pending MDT orders arrived today.

:goodie:

Took 8 days from the notice.

Haydn, Couperin, Prokofiev and Carter. 27 discs. Almost all new music for me. Beethoven may have to wait.

23. Jay F

I got two of them, both on 01/09/09.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

BMG Music Club?

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I received an email from MDT today titled "8,000 Offer Prices Ending Soon - Prices valid until 27th January". Among the labels advertised are Warner Box Sets, BIS, Hyperion and a few others. If all the great prices we have been seeing are sale prices, I wonder what their regular prices look like. At any rate, it looks like the NY sale tax collection by out-of-state e-tailers, as recently imposed by NYS, has been upheld by the NY superior court and Amazon's legal challenge went down. It means many other states may follow. If MDT prices remain good going forward, I will only buy from the Brits since CT cannot force MDT to collect sale tax from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.