Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, I finally received my email confirmation about my 18-CD Vivaldi's set being dispatched yesterday. I have no clue when the set will arrive.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I double-checked - I received the MDT discs one week from the date of the notice.

3. coopmv

Too bad, it does not look like my Vivaldi's set will arrive before the start of the MLK's Birthday long weekend ...

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yourmusic.com (the other BMG site) has the Argerich set as well. But since they charge $6.99 per disc, no matter what, they want $55.92 (plus shipping) for the set of 8. How many do they think they'll sell?

5. coopmv

I got my set from Amazon for $29.95 with free shipping. I have been too busy to open the set ...

6. coopmv

I have fewer than a dozen of DG or Philips CD's I bought through the BMG Music Club in the early 90's. Those were the CD's licensed to BMG by DG and Philips. That membership was quite unattractive as the CD choices were quite limited IMO. I quit the membership the moment I fulfilled my obligations.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, so assuming your shipment takes as long as mine (a safe assumption, I think), it still shouldn't be there for a few days yet.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Since we both live on the east coast, I'd say it will take as long as mine did, 7 days.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Yep. I'd say this is how long orders in the past have taken for me as well. Considering this, they are faster than some amazon sellers I have ordered from.

10. coopmv

I have no clue. I most likely will not place my second order until this first order has arrived.

11. coopmv

Now playing disc 6, the last in the set ...

Attached Files:

12. coopmv

139 posts to thread #5 :righton:

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Yep. I ordered it today. It came to $18.24, I think.

14. coopmv

DG has already licensed this set to BMG Music? Isn't this kind of fast?

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

I don't know when it came out. I heard of it only because of you and George talking about it.

16. coopmv

Check under Vivaldi. There are quite a few of his works that feature mandolins ...

17. coopmv

The individual discs that make up this set have all previously appeared as singles. This is the first time they have been re-packaged as a set. DG generally does not license its "new" CD's to BMG Music this soon ...

18. coopmv

Jay, I did not quite answer your question in my last post. I believe the set was released only 2 months ago ...

19. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now playing (recorded 1988):

Attached Files:

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Mahler: Symphony No. 7 - Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw Orchesta.
      Orig. Philips 1970 2LP boxed set.

Up next:
    • Haydn: The Creation - Herbert von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic and Vienna Singverein.
      Orig. DG 1965 2LP boxed set, it's nice -- well, more than nice! -- to have a big 12 in. x 12 in. libretto with which to follow along, web URLs just don't cut it.

And late night...
    • Philippe Entremont: A Debussy Recital.
      Sony Classical 1992 CD, recorded 1961 and 1964, Digitally remastered by Bejun Mehta (Producer) and Christopher Herles (Engineer).
      -Claire de lune
      -Deux Arabesques
      -Feux d'artifice
      -Pour le piano
      -Images I
      -Images II
      -Children's Corner

21. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I ordered the Rattle M9 from CDUni the other day :righton: Unfortunately for the last couple of years my orders with them have been taking from three to four weeks to arrive. They always come postmarked via Sweden :confused: For the 10 or so years prior to that I was buying from them, around 10 days was the usual delivery time.

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Cool! Now, be sure to make a large cup of tea before you press play the first time -- Mahler 9 is a two-disc symphony. I really hope you enjoy. My favorite movements are the outer ones, the first and the achingly beautiful Adagio. Report back ... in a few weeks. ;)

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

For the last couple of days I am listening to Andras Schiff vol 7 and 8 of the Beethoven sonatas on ECM. And I am impressed.

These are very idiomatic performances and I believe that, as the New York Times wrote, Andras Schiff has done to Beethoven what Gould did to Bach.

The tempos are sometimes taken to the extreme and so are the dynamics. Notice for instance the first movement of Sonata n.27 where the effect of contrasting dynamics creates a very expressive reading. In the slow movements, such as the Agadio Sostenuto of the Hammerclavier, the music flows beautifully and with great articulation.

Something very interesting that Schiff does is to break the sound of left-hand and right-hand in a way that gives you a very in-depth sense of the intricacies and details of Beethoven's writing. It's kind of hard to describe it and maybe is the recording of the piano that creates this effect but I was able to hear details that I had not noticed before.

Both cds contain a 20+ pages conversation with Schiff on the meaning and his views on the sonatas. These notes-conversations are very informative and help understand Schiff's very personal point of view on these works.

The sound is very detailed although a little bright for my taste. Vol 7 is recorded live while vol 8 I believe is a studio recording.

Overall these are some great performances and they offer something very new and unique to these timeless pieces. Definitely worth checking them out.:thumbsup:

24. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Shall do. I'm actually reasonably familiar with the symphony - I have the Lopez-Cobos recording on Telarc: http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-9/dp/B000003D1T/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232000760&sr=1-2. It's just that I've never really got into as much as the other Mahler works, which is why I want to try a different version. I've found a few times previously that the second or third recording of a work finally gets me into it. Then I return to the other recordings and suddenly they've clicked as well!

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Nice review. I've seen two of Schiff's Beethoven sonatas recitals and they were both pretty remarkable. As far as modern (say, the last 15 years) complete sets go, I would take Schiff with me above all others. I enjoy Paul Lewis a lot, but I agree with your assessment regarding hearing things I haven't heard in other traversals. I think George P wasn't too enamored with Schiff's take, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. What do you think, George?? Not only are some performances live recordings, and others studio, Schiff also used different pianos depending on the sound he wanted, or rather that he thought would be in better service of the music. I also like how Schiff took the sonatas in chronological order, by composition date not opus number. The last two of Schiff's recitals will take place in March. Don't know if I can afford both, but I will definitely be at Disney Hall to witness his Hammerklavier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.