Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

I have a box somewhere of classical CDs a friend gave me, and I think this is among them. I can't recall if I've ever played it, and I don't know where the box is, but I think I'll look for it. Thanks, Russell.

2. Jay F

I got my second MDT order today, Gergiev's Mahler 7. It came in a snug-fit cardboard box, like an LP mailer for a CD. Perfect condition.

I ordered this one before Christmas, and they were closed for the week, so I can't extrapolate anything about order time. I ordered the other one on Jan. 6, it was processed on Jan. 9, and it arrived on Jan 15. So, nine days, give or take.

I'm listening to it now.

3. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Has Gergiev completed an entire cycle, Jay?

4. Jay F

Not yet. He's done 1, 3, 6, 7, and most recently 2. I know this is supposed to be a complete cycle. I would love to live in London and be able to go to the concerts.

Do you have an SACD player? That's what these are, and the sound has been uniformly good (haven't heard 2 yet). I like these much more than Michael Tilson-Thomas' SACD series (of which I've only heard a few, I should say).

5. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I don't have an SACD player. I've never really got into hi-res nor surround. I assume these Gergiev's are all SACD-Hybrids though?

Are you referring to the sound or the performance on the Tilson-Thomas SACD's? I read favourable reviews on his M2 when I was looking to buy my first Mahler, but chose the Fischer instead.

6. Jay F

Yes, the Gergievs are all hybrids. As for M T-T, I'm talking about the performances. I kept 3 and 7, but sold 6 and 4. They aren't bad. They just didn't make me want to listen to them instead of my favorite versions. T-T's M7 may be one of my favorites. His M3 is definitely a favorite. I've never heard any Mahler by Fischer, nor M T-T's M2.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have that Anonymous 4 CD too ...

8. coopmv

I have this CD plus M4, also by Zander ...

9. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now trying to wrangle complimentary tix to this: http://www.mso.com.au/cpa/htm/htm_event_list.asp?page_id=77&event_date=2009/3/6 (I'm heavily involved with the MSO's internal IT system, which has allowed me to see them gratis several times :)).

10. George P

George P Notable Member

11. coopmv

Just ordered the following CD's from MDT. Tatiana Nikolayeva was supposed to be one of the foremost interpreters of JS Bach keyboard works ...

Attached Files:

12. George P

George P Notable Member

13. Jay F

14. coopmv

Now playing disc 3 of Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings. Discs 1 and 2 are excellent ...

15. coopmv

This 3-CD set by Iona Brown and the Academy of St Martin just arrived today ...

Attached Files:

16. coopmv

Now playing disc 4 of Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings ...

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thank you! I hope this presages a good, legitimate reissue of the Schubert sonata cycle. I couldn't help but smile at the recruitment of the Wikipedia article for promotional material--for the most part, I wrote it!

I need to read the explanatory text in more detail, but I saw something about "ambisonic stereo." I do hope that doesn't mean the transfer is done in fake stereo....

Oh, by the way, Wuhrer recorded the Beethoven 4th cto. twice--this recording for Vox, and an earlier one for Remington.

18. coopmv

The Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings set is really an "original jacket" set where each disc is housed in a paper sleeve that is a miniature version of the original LP jacket ... :thumbsup:

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Tonight's listening

Now playing:
    • Bizet: Symphony in C + Jeux d'Enfants - Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw Orchestra.
      Orig. Philips 1977 LP, fantastic versions, Haitink really excels in French repertoire, IMO.

Next:
    • Boccherini: Guitar Quintets Nos. 4 and 5 - Pepe Romero/Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Chamber Ensemble.
      Orig. Philips 1980 LP.

Last:
    • Canteloube: Chants d'Auvergne - Madeleine Grey (soprano) with Elie Cohen/unnamed orchestra.
      Pearl 1998 from the release Songs of France, recorded 1930 for French Columbia, apparently this was a super-rare set of 78s till this CD reissue, nice bin find.

20. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now playing (recorded 2000):

Attached Files:

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I was impressed by this too. I hope to find the time to hear more of this set this Looooonnnnngggggggg weekend. :righton:

22. coopmv

These original jackets also look a lot nicer than those that came with the Glenn Gould's 80-CD set.

23. coopmv

Now playing disc 5 of Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings ... :righton:

24. coopmv

The delivery time is really no worse than most domestic e-tailers. While Newbury is right in my backyard, my order with them is also a hit or miss affair when it comes to getting the goods ...

25. coopmv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.