Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Now playing this one:

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing disc 6 of Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings ...

4. coopmv

:edthumbs: Philips has not issued many CD's with 24/96 res.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

In this case it was to help make a poor sounding recording fair, not to make a good recording superb.

6. coopmv

Now playing disc 7 of Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings. It is JS Bach keyboard works... :righton:

7. coopmv

We are now 69 posts away from thread #5.

8. coopmv

Now playing disc 8 of Martha Argerich's Solo Recordings, the last CD in the set. While I already owned some of the singles before I got his set, I have noticed some sonic improvements. At under $30, this set offers tremendous values ...

9. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I'm honestly thinking about buying 80 slim CD cases to house the CDs from the GG set. I haven't noticed any problems with the discs yet, but I'm paranoid.

Oh, and I totally have that Sofia Recital disc!

10. coopmv

Yeah, but the 80 slim CD cases will not all fit into the outer box. IMO, I do not think the paper sleeves will damage the CD's.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

If I might chime in, does this preserve the ghastly, gratuitous No-Noise job that Philips inflicted on its original CD remastering of this material, which I think has marred at least one other issue since then? Sonic warts and all, this is THE recording of "Pictures" to own, but the N-N largely eviscerates its impact and power. That's why I've routinely advised those who can play LPs to seek out the old Columbia issue in that form, the one with the gushy critical quotation on the silver cover. It's by no means an uncommon or pricey LP, and to my ears at least it far better conveys the excitement of this unique performance. (It does not, of course, contain the other material from that recital.)

NOTE: I am *not* a reflexive CD basher. In this case, I just think that the remastering for CD was very poor.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

13. coopmv

Musical contents are continuous while noise tend to be random. As digital recording technology advances, I am sure the noise-filtering software gets better all the time as well. Filtering out the noise does not have to mean filtering out the music ...

14. coopmv

Now playing disc 1

Attached Files:

15. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Philips has not issued ANY CD's with 24/96 res (nor has anybody else for that matter ;)). Redbook CD is 16/44.1, always has been, always will be. This simply means higher resolution gear was used for the analog to digital transfer, with the end result being dithered down to CD resolution, which is par for the course these days. Interesting side note - Steve doesn't believe in doing it this way and transfers to digital at 16/44.1 if the target medium is Redbook CD.

16. coopmv

Not true. I have a number of baroque CD's by Collegium Musicum 90 on the Chandos label that are 24/96. Decca re-issued a number of HvK's recordings from the late 50's that are 24/94. These CD's are out there but not in large quantity.

17. coopmv

18. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Stuart, they are just 16/44.1 CD's like any other Redbook CD. They wouldn't play in your CD player if they were anything else. The big remastering numbers on the cover are little more than marketing. 24/96 has only been available on DVD-Audio (also I think some DVD-A's were 24/192). High-res has been tried and is largely dead due to public apathy. There's still a market for SACD in classical, but that's about it.

Not that I'm dissing on Philips remasters BTW - I have one of those "24/96 transfers" and it sounds nice, as do most Philips classical CD's.

19. coopmv

Here is the order I placed with MDT today.

Attached Files:

20. coopmv

Now playing disc 2 ...

Attached Files:

21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Plain old DVDs, not just DVDAs, can handle 24/96 audio, witness the Neil Young "because sound matters" releases. CDs of course, as you say, can't. I'm not sure what classical releases on vanilla DVD (not DVDA) have a 24/96 audio track, I would think that there must be some.

22. coopmv

I have over a dozen of various DVD's of concerts by HvK, John Eliot Gardiner, Christopher Hogwood, Karl Richter and Nikolaus Harnoncourt. Many of them even boast 5.1 surround. I only play them in stereo mode. Video continues to be an afterthought for me ...

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I have Vol. 3 of that PentaTone Handel Organ Concerto series. You'll love it. Stunning sound.

24. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Really? I thought the audio layer on DVD-V was fixed at 16/48.

25. coopmv

Since I already have the other 2 volumes and prices at MDT are just so much better than what I can find in the US, I may just as well give the business to the Brits ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.