Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

zobalob could be right. The sound of many of these DVD's is quite stunning compared with the regular redbook CD's. I am tempted to rip the audio tracks to my hard-drive and burn them to CD's.

2. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

There's a clacking noise quite prominent in parts of Vol. 3 - I assume it's part of the mechanics of the organ, which must have been closely miked? Have you heard anything like that on the ones you have?

Apart from that, totally stunning sound...

3. coopmv

Now playing disc 3, the last disc in the Symphonies Concertantes set by the Academy of St Martin with Iona Brown ...

4. coopmv

I don't recall since I last heard mine at least 2 years ago. I have, however, heard clacking noise in this historical set of JS Bach Complete Organ Works performed by Helmut Walcha ...

BTW, the set was mainly recorded in the 50's and all discs are monaural but the sound is quite stunning ...

Attached Files:

5. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

No, it's not, it can definitely handle 24/96 audio, as I said earlier, Neil young has issued several albums with a standard DVD having hi-res 24/96 audio.
    Here's a quick link I found through Google pertaining to a company releasing music in this format... http://www.uhfmag.com/Hi-res.html
    It's a pity that more use isn't made of this facility.

6. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

You learn something every day :) I thought ordinary DVD players resampled all audio to 48khz - every one I've had has done that with CD Audio. These hi-res DVD's would be pretty few and far between I imagine?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I know that one lay use of this technology is with recording needledrops. They are said to more closely resemble the sound of the original LP. I haven't heard one as I am still a CD player only guy.

8. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I would think that hi-res DVDs would be few and far between, as you say. It depends on whether the player can handle it, I would also think that most players from the past few years should be capable.

9. coopmv

Now playing

Attached Files:

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Philips vinyl

Today, I celebrated 83 degrees & sunny wintertime weather by consuming an armload of vintage sealed 'n mint, non-digitally-recorded Philips vinyl from the mid- to late-70's. Twenty-seven LP's total for under $175.

Now playing:
    • Brahms: Serenade No. 1, Op. 11 in D Major - Kurt Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.
      Orig. Philips 1981 LP.

Up next:
    • Brahms: Violin Concerto - Salvatore Accardo (violin) with Kurt Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.
      Orig. Philips 1979 LP, never heard Accardo before.

Last:
    • Debussy: La Mer + Prelude a L'Apres-Midi d'un Faune + Rhapsodie pour Clarinette + Marche Ecossaise - Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw Orchestra.
      Orig. Philips mid-70's LP.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Philips LPs always sounded the best to me.

12. Jay F

I am in Mahler heaven with these new Gergiev SACDs. His 7 is a bit fast in the first Nachtmusic, but the others are just so wonderfully atmospheric. I'm really taken away to the places music takes you.

I've seen a headline for a recent thread, something like, how do you picture the session for the music you're listening to, and I realized I don't actually picture recording sessions when I hear music. I'm taken to a far more impressionistic place, full of color and pictures that have no literal relationship to anything, really.

There's a place in the above-mentioned first Nachtmusic of the M7, where I see different things flying slow-motion through space: Speedy Alka-Seltzer is wearing a smart little Infant of Prague outfit as he hurtles around the atmosphere; my dog Jasper, dead now nine years, is also out there in the imaginary visual space this music creates.

How literally do any of you "see" your music?

13. coopmv

Philips LP's easily make up 50% of my vinyl collection. They are often even better than DG's.

14. Jay F

That's very interesting to know. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who realizes, or even thinks about, these things. It has been my experience, however, that DG records can be very uneven in sound quality, at least when talking about the ones you can buy used today. I was not a classical listener (it made up less than 10% of my LP collection) until CDs came out, so most of my classical LP buying started in 1997, and I have never had many of them. The only label I would buy without hesitation is Philips.

15. coopmv

For LP, Philips has always had the least amount of surface noise compared with most other labels. I can play a Philips LP and do not hear more than 1 or 2 pops on a single side. LP's from the old CBS and Angel labels were the worst. Listening to those LP's was like living through mini fireworks. I am done with LP buying and have not bought any since 1988 or 1989. Yeah, I may leap for some if I see some NOS, but LP's are not for mail order in my book and I am not aware of any LP shops in CT.

16. Jay F

That's exactly my feeling, up to and including the fact that I don't want to buy any more classical LPs (I have only a precious few now, as I gave a lot away ten years ago). Surface noise is so much more noticeable on classical than on rock LPs. My biggest disappointment was buying the LB box set on the CBS Masterworks label (orange typeface, gray label). I didn't know records could sound that bad.

I am now going to listen to some Beethoven 3rds. First up is HvK on the Galleria label (1977).

17. coopmv

Calling it the nostalgia factor if I may. Listening to LP and watching the vinyl spinning away on the TT do bring back fond memories. That was the way people listened to music for decades prior to the introduction of CD to the masses. I avoided the "American pressing" LP's like a plague and the store manager at J&R Classical considered me a royal pain in the you know what for the frequency at which I returned my LP's for exchange. For CBS and Angel classical LP's, the pops and clicks came in a steady stream even if the LP's were bought brand-new. I can play a Philips LP I bought over 25 years ago and the surface noise remains minimal ...

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Paavo Jarvi's Beethoven 5 (RCA SACD) is one of the best performances of this symphony I 've heard in my life!!

19. coopmv

Now playing

Attached Files:

20. coopmv

21. coopmv

22. coopmv

Now playing Beethoven 9th by Eugene Jochum and the RCO

Attached Files:

23. coopmv

24. George P

George P Notable Member

I have all but the Rediscovered disc, which I intend to get. They are great choices, Stuart! The did not make my list because I usually prefer CDs with all one compser on them. In the case of Richter I make an exception, though.

25. coopmv

I hear you. I generally prefer 1-composer CD's. However, I will make an exception for concerts or for some exceptional virtuoso ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.