Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks very much!

I have heard some negative things about his Beethoven (he skips repeats, plays them too slow) and his Schumann.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've also read some of those comments about his Beethoven but I think it depends on the recording. He was much better live than in studio.

This is from an overview of various recordings of Beethoven's 9 from WETA FM 90.9 blog.

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=370

I think that the secret for a listener to appreciate Celibidache's performances is to examine carefully his lifestyle and the principles behind it.

Here is his biography from Oxford Music Online

A very controversial person and musician indeed.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks very much for all of that, Chris! :wave:

4. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Jay, I am strictly a two-channel guy. Even for movies I find surround little more than a novelty (and I've watched movies and listened to music on some very good surround systems). Not trying to start a two vs multi-channel war here - just my experience and taste.

5. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You are welcome, George.:)

Maybe this has mentioned here previously, but I was reading at wikipedia about Annie Fischer that

Is this the set?

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Piano-Sonatas/dp/B00005YK81

7. George P

George P Notable Member

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I just noticed it said "surround sound" on your Telarc M9, and I thought maybe that had been your reason for choosing it.

9. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Ah, yes Telarc did put that on some of their 90's CDs. They're just ordinary two-channel audio - I don't know what the "surround" actually refers to. I would have picked that CD for Telarc's general SQ more than anything else. I'm trying to place more importance on performance these days ;)

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My favorite M9 is Bernstein's on Sony or CBS (as I am sure I have mentioned before).

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Very glad to hear this, Russell!

12. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Still some work to be done George - I think I've moved from 60 SQ/40 performance to about 50/50 :shh:

13. George P

George P Notable Member

That's certainly progress! :righton:

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Now onto disc three

Attached Files:

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you heard other performances of those works, Simon? I'm curious how this set might compare.

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I am enjoying the Argerich box set more than I have liked anything in a long time. I've mostly listened to the Chopin discs so far, including the Marche Funebre, which my brother used to hum all the time before he would do something Three Stoogesesque like hit me in the head with a hammer. This is the first recording I've ever had of this, and it doesn't creep me out.

I've switched to the Liszt Sonata, which is followed by a Schumann piece, and then two other discs (Bach and another composer, but I'm not getting up to look).

17. darkmatter

Not in my recent experience I am really only familiar with Symphonies 1 & 5 the performances are very good but SQ wise just behind the best, this set is on loan to me by a friend who wanted my SQ opinion.

I want to improve my experience in the works of Prokofiev so this is a learning curve for me.

I am going to research other versions (sets) suggestions welcome:) but my friend feels that there is no one set that would be on top, he feels that this set has flashes of brilliance but is very good at worst so performance wise I could recommend it so far.

Some time ago I heard an old Decca LP of No.1 which is a splendid disc coupled with Peter and the Wolf was it Sargent conducting?

Simon :)

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I must say I much prefer his piano works. I have only heard the recent Gergiev set. No, I actually have heard Muti's Symphony #3 on Philips, which is spectacular!

19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Rain check, English style ... I received the same email for some Handel's SACD I have ordered ...

20. darkmatter

It is this one sorry about the first pic, It has been released on CD as Decca - 433 612-2

Attached Files:

21. darkmatter

One to investigate some time. Thanks George :thumbsup:

22. George P

George P Notable Member

How quickly did they amend things? Did you still get it at the sale price?

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I love the Lieutenant Kijé suite. Never heard Peter and the Wolf.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

And I just found out MDT is selling this set at almost 40% less than what I paid an Amazon MarketPlace vendor. :realmad:

Attached Files:

25. darkmatter

A work that is great fun, this was featured as part of the first concert I attended as a child. :)

Love the Kijé suite :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.