Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Remember that you can always send your order back for any reason at amazon. Although the MDT shipping might bring the savings down quite a bit.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

I have the one with Bowie narrating on a RCA CD. :whistle:

3. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Is that Prokofiev-approved?

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My favorite Lt. Kije is with Abbado.

[​IMG]

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Not sure, but it's Perkins approved. :D

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

No clue. My email has exactly the same verbiage as yours. I presume I will still pay the sale price since the website did not say it was out of stock when I placed the order.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Oh, you're still waiting too. :sigh:

8. coopmv

I think the order might have been shipped already and it was sold by an Amazon MP vendor, not by Amazon itself.

9. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

This is mine (it's not mentioned on the cover, but same artist details and mid-50's recording date). I have heard Alexander Nevsky too, which I liked a lot. In fact I haven't heard anything by Prokofiev I didn't like. His Violin Concerto No. 2 is marvelous.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, but I believe that you can still return it if you wish, especially if you don't even open it. You may have to pay return shipping, though.

11. coopmv

I think the out-of-stock CD is with one of the later orders. I placed a total of 7 orders with MDT this month and just received the "Order Dispatched" email today for the last order. I have only received 3 of the 7 orders so far.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, you got me there.

If I wouldn't have posted an oneliner I would have written that from old performances I prefer Mitropoulos and Reiner.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I listened to this yesterday and I am playing it again now...

[​IMG]

This is a very strange disc. It pairs Mozart's 'Gran Partita' with Berg's Chamber Concerto. Both are written more or less for 13 woodwinds.
    The Ensemble Intercontemporain delivers excellent performances on both works, however different in style they may be.

I was surprised at the negativity of some reviewers on Amazon, I agree usually with the consensus there, but not this time.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Gran-Partita-Berg-Kammerkonzert/dp/B001DHUJK0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

14. coopmv

I think I am going to keep the set when it arrives. I saved a bundle by ordering the 60-CD Harnoncourt's Bach Complete Cantatas set from MDT.

15. coopmv

Now playing disc #16 from the 18-CD Vivaldi's set ...

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Most likely a wise move. Who knows if MDT even has them in stock? Now that we know that they list products that they don't have in stock my opinion of them has dropped quite a bit.

17. coopmv

George, I certainly hope this may just be that MDT does not quite have the same high caliber inventory tracking system like Amazon has. It does not mean MDT is in the same league as Caiman, which I have always avoided ...

18. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That Berg Chamber Concerto is probably the most inaccessible work in my classical collection. I struggle with it every time I hear it. I do however enjoy his Violin Concerto, which it is coupled with.

Would Berg's Chamber Concerto be the kind of thing I should expect from Schoenberg's music?

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, but if you look on their site now, it does not list the Moravec as being out of stock. This means that when you order something from them you have no way of knowing if they actually have the item you order. To me, that sucks.

I have a European friend who's going to phone them on Monday and explain that he knows a half dozen people who are waiting on this set and that they post on an internet forum that is read by thousands of people each day. He's gonna ask about the price issue too.

20. coopmv

George, Has your 14-CD EMI Sviatoslav Richter's set shipped yet? Just out of curiosity ...

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Almost. Shoenberg had an earlier phase where he continues the romantic tradition of Wagner. His music at this period resembles that of R. Strauss (minus the pyrotechnics in instrumentation)

The major work of this period is

[​IMG]

Then he develops the 12-tone system, which is what you have with Berg, which was actually his student.

Music of the 12-tone school takes a while to get used to it. I cannot say that I like this particular style all the time, but once in a while I have a need for this music.

22. coopmv

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I love this.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

It has. It shipped on Tuesday.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my order history with MDT. I have placed 12 orders with them since 2006 and the Moravec was the only one I ever had a problem with.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.