FA: Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Japan CD 35DP-4 Still Sealed

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by SimonSaysCake, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Actually, that's not true. You cannot go out and place a huge amount of insurance on an item that is worth much less in the hopes of having the insurance company pay the large amount. It's a form of insurance fraud. Usually you have to prove to the insurance company that an item is worth the amount it is insured for before they will pay you anything.

I had a case of a record album (LP) sent though the U.S. Post Office that got damaged. The P.O. would not pay unless 1) I could prove that they were the ones that damaged the item!!! and 2) that the item was worth the amount it was insured for. Even though the cardboard packaging that the LP was sent in had marks on it indicating that it was crushed by the P.O., I could not prove that the damage to the record inside the package was caused by the P.O. They never paid the claim even though I had paid for the insurance on the package.

And as for worth, I am not certain that a statement such as "but that's what I paid for it on Ebay" would suffice to prove an items worth.

Vernon Fitch
    www.PinkFloydArchives.com

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Yeah :agree:, probably need a written letter from some type of Pink Floyd Fan Club Expert guy to say"this Cd is actually $5000+" ;)

3. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Wait a second, I did NOT say "go out and place a huge amount of insurance on an item that is worth much less in the hopes of having the insurance company pay the large amount".

I said:

It's very different! If I pay the adequate insurance premium that they ask me to pay, I can insure anything for any value.

I'm not talking about fooling the insurance company to over value a given item to collect insurance money, nothing like that :eek:

Oh, and by the way, the WYWH CD value is on the OBI strip... that's the real and official value of the CD. Of course it is not real value, that can only be determined by the owner, because it has sentimental/personal and collector value, that's why that must be agreed between customer and insurance company before hand and paid accordingly.

It doesn't matter how much you paid for it, what counts is what value you agreed on to contract the insurance.

Insurance cost, obviously, will vary with the insured value... :rolleyes:

4. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Just a reminder, that a 35DP-4 with OBI failed to sell last year for $2000. The crazy thing about this CD is that the value is actually the sellophane wrapper, which added $3500 to the value (assuming the other item was really worth $2000, which is arguable as it didn't sell).

How do people send Butcher Covers throught the post? Isn't there a guy who authenticates them, as I was inferring with Vernon, but the Beatles equivalent.?

5. If I was the buyer, I wouldn't worry about the shipping. Just pay with PayPal and you are covered.

The seller is the one who should be worried about the shipping. I'm sure he will gladly pay for the best possible shipping option.

By the way, if the buyer is in the U.S., is there any kind of limit for receiving goods from outside the U.S., so that you have to pay some kind of customs fees?

I always had the impression there are no such custom fees for the US.

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

False. This is why collectibles require appraisals to establish insurance premiums.

7. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I don't know about Japan, but someone in the US could take the item to the Post Office and have it inspected before shipping. I believe I have seen stickers that state that the item has been inspected and is what it is stated to be.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The only evidence to establish the value of $5400 (and change) is a copy of the eBay auction page. This is the only sealed copy we are aware of changing hands.

The problem with this item is that it only sold for $5400 because of its state (sealed and with OBI strip), not because of what it is inherently (a 35DP 4 Wish You Were Here CD). It is a very rare (one-of-a-kind?) form of a relatively common item. The relatively common form sells for much, much less. As such, the owner may have difficulty down the road establishing the desired value or recouping his investment. Many collectors are only concerned with what it is, not the state it is in.

Many other collectibles in this world that sell in the neighborhood of $5400 only exist in one form and are inherently valued at that high price. When you consider paintings, sculptures, jewelry, rare books, etc., there is one version. One doesn't have a sealed painting versus a used one. The value is more easily established for items that are desired for what they are rather than for the state they are in.

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thanks Keith,my post was really in answer to Sergio saying the value is in the OBI, which given the example I mentioned, isn't actually the case. The value is not in the OBI, but in the whole sealed package. (crazy as it seems, the sellophane wrapper is the added value)

Still, I'm sure anyone who can afford £4000 for a Cd can afford the insured shipping and the import duty/taxes on such an item if they are charged.

I do enjoy watching the auctions for this "relatively common" cd though.;)

10. SergioRZ

It seems like we are experiencing a small but effective communication problem. I'll just assume you didn't understand what I wrote back there and your reply is, therefore, meaningless. Probably my fault, I might have failed to express my ideas properly...

This is a fact:

Maybe it's different in different countries? Here in my country I can insure anything for any insured value, at a cost. (for me that's pretty normal)

11. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Sorry, when I brought up appraisals, etc., I wasn't talking about postal insurance (and I agree that is what's relevant, here).

In this country, and with the USPS, you probably can insure anything for any insured value, at a cost.

HOWEVER, if a claim is filed that is associated with said insurance, and the insured amount defies conventional thinking (for example, an 800 euro CD), you would most assuredly be required to provide proof of value.

12. KeithH

No question the fact that it is sealed played a significant role here. The collector paid for the shrinkwrap and OBI strip, the state of the item, not so much the item itself.

13. SergioRZ

You are probably right :righton: :)

14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The only reason it didn't sell was because the guy (if he existed and if he had the CD with OBI) jerked me around for over a month. I offered him more than $2000 initially and was put off by him (not accepting my offers) that I started giving him ultimatums, e.g. "if you don't accept x by tomorrow night, I'm dropping my offer to x". I did that until he finally said he was going to wait and sell. it. He gave it to a 'friend' to sell and I made offers but nothing happened. IMO, there never was a CD with OBI.

15. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Yeah, Rick. I remember that fiasco.

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:agree:Indeed Rick, and apart from the guy being a jerk, that has to be the worst place to ship to or from, in my experience:sigh:. Lucky break.

18. KeithH

He jerked me around last year, too. Eventually, he didn't even respond to my e-mail inquiries. When his first auction was ended by eBay a couple of weeks ago, he invited me to make an offer. I made an offer (less than $5400, obviously), and he didn't even have the courtesy to respond. After a second inquiry went without a response, I gave up. As I said earlier in this thread, I didn't place a bid in this auction. I got tired of the seller. I won't be buying from him in the future either.

19. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Purely out of curiosity, I would love to know a bit of the history behind this sale. From what I can gather, the current seller was not the original owner so I wonder how much he paid the original owner for the disc. i would also be curious to know if the original owner was Japanese. As I said, purely out of curiosity. These kinds of things interest me.

20. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

These were 2 different sellers with 2 different CDs. Rick is talking about the Italian seller with the open copy, not the latest seller with sealed copy.

21. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Yeah, I was talking about the current legit copy not the (imaginary) copy from last year. :)

22. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

IIRC, the seller of this sealed copy said in the auction that he wasn't the original owner and bought it from another seller.

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Who knows, but the point is this is not the one from last year which was opened.(I'm sorry I mentioned this now as it is causing confusion).

24. SergioRZ

How hard would it be to have one of these CD's factory resealed?

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that this is the copy that showed up on a Japanese auction page in the middle of last year. Some guy put it up and was bombarded with offers and questions. He claimed to have bought it new in Akihabara when it came out and never opened it; it all sounded very legit. But, he then pulled the disc saying that he had decided not to sell it.

I think that you could reseal a copy fairly easily. Of course, first you have to find a mint copy with a mint obi, and although the disc itself used to show up from time to time, the obis are hell-a-rare. I suspect that there are a few in collections of older Pink Floyd collectors around the world who have no idea what it is worth. After all, it was the first PF CD, so if you were a serious PF collector back in 1982, I would assume that you would have wanted one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.