Classic Records - Frank Zappa - Hot Rats on vinyl! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinymontgomery, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

No doubt. Fact is, there is already good sounding vinyl of the original Hot Rats in existence. But the original Hot Rats doesn't even exist on any published digital media. That's pretty damned ridiculous.

2. TommyTunes: >Got so excited about it that I spent $$$ yesterday on a mint WLP of Uncle Meat.<

Congratulations for the mint WLP! (I couldnt help checking it out!)

Unless the Economy forbids, 2009 should be quite a costly year for 40th anniversary celebratory purchases (vintage/reissued LPs) on a hell of a lot of fronts!!

3. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I agree with you, but since the original HR apparently won't be appearing on digital, I happy to at least have a 2008 vinyl release if it sounds even better than the blue-label bizarre original LP. Not that I have complaints about the original; it's not bad-sounding. But I would LOVE to hear the real HR with digital clarity and detail, and couldn't agree with you more about having to make yet another needle-drop. But it ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid. Saint Frank's wishes are sacred, infallible, and never to be overridden, no matter how arrogantly wrong-headed they may have been. And no matter how badly damaged his hearing obviously was when he "improved" Hot Rats.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Unless the ZFT says so, I wouldn't conclude from this vinyl release that there will never be a CD of the Hot Rats original mix.

quicksrt likes this.
  5. (OT) And someone wrote me a good while ago that at least one of the sides of his WLP Uncle Meat had a narrower runout than the regular pressing. Please do keep us posted re. any sonics differences with the blue label Bizarre one (which I assume you also have)!

6. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

So, does this Classic label Hot Rats sound as good as everyone hoped? I'm thinking about getting the 150 gram slab.

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

It would be awesome if somebody could post a sample or two.

8. Skip Reynolds

Yes! Got the 200g this morning. Much quieter (pops, clicks) than any of my three bizarre/blue's. Haven't done a careful listen yet, but my first impression was that there's noticably more detail to be heard. However, that could very well be wishful thinking on my part, "hearing" what I hope to hear.

9. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

Thanks, Skip. I'll add that to my upcoming order with AS.

10. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Yeah, now that Gail has said that they're planning to put out 40th anniversary editions of his key albums, I'm sure we'll have a remastered Hot Rats this year or next.

I acquired a needledrop of the original Bizarre pressing last week... it sounds incredible! I've got a Reprise reissue of the album on vinyl but haven't listened to it much, mainly the CD and it shocked me to hear how good the original sounds. I never liked how the CD version of Willie put all the emphasis on the guitar, leaving the drums and bass way in the back.

11. Skip Reynolds

After a real listen to tracks 1 and 3 ..... It wasn't wishful thinking. Lots of subtle details I'd never noticed before in approximately a bazillion listens.

I'm jazzed. Still would prefer it on cd, but this is worth celebrating.

12. zephead

zephead Forum Resident

blue bizzare blows away the classic, i have the wlp too and the classic is good for thoughs of you without the original,I had a later brown reprise,but had no whomp, like tom port says, the blue label i have is so alive and real sounding!

13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

It is very alive sounding but finding a copy that isn't trashed is a chore from my experience.

14. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Would you please fill out your equipment profile? It help others understand what you are hearing and saying if they know what equipment you are using.

Thank you.

15. musicman9999

musicman9999 VDC Vinyl & CDs

Classic Records to reissue Frank Zappa - Hot Rats on vinyl! *

I spent much of yesterday listening to Classic's Hot Rats - Bernie Grundman did a great job! The lp sounds warm and detailed, and my vinyl pressing was quiet.

And it's great to have the original mix back!!!!!

Bill

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Original 1969 mix back again ..good news !!!

How is compared with the
    blue bIzZaRe version ?

17. Did you adjust the VTA of your tonearm for comparing the Classic to the blue Bizarre? I don't have the Classic, but my blue is kind of flimsy, and I imagine that those 180 or 200 g slabs must require an adjustment there.

18. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

I compared the Classic with a British 1st pressing (a 'steamboat' Reprise). No comparison, the Classic is far better. In every way it is far less compressed, richer, clearer and easier to follow. As the album is full of percussion and woodwind, the difference can be rather startling. Pressing and packing is off a very high quality.

More please, Gail!

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sounds promising !

Have you ever heard the original USA vinyl version ?

200g pressing ?

20. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

Yes, I'm very happy with the reissue. The music sounds very 'vital' on it, which seems to be an ingredient that can go missing on some reissues.

I haven't heard a Blue Bizarre of Hot Rats (though I do have many of those for Frank's other albums).

The Classic is 200g.

21. wes

wes Senior Member

The Classic sounds great!!

I also don't have an original to compare with, but I mean on the inner sleeve, Bernie mentions that he respects Zappa's sonic palette, and I get the sense that Bernie did a real honest mastering, leaving the highs alone etc...

Very cool to hear the original mix!

22. Skip Reynolds

This record has definitely replaced my blue Bizarre for "serious" listening.

They even seem to have corrected the moment of tape drag (or whatever it is) at the end of Son Of Mister Green Genes when the final piano chord is fading.

This new LP is a revelation. Next best thing to a proper cd release.

23. John

John Senior Member

I find it interesting that most reissues dont match the life of a good original. Its too bad because reissues are usually better in the technical parameters (detail, bass, dynamics, tonal balance etc), and are usually on quieter vinyl. Ive tried the VTA thing, and it doesnt matter. I notice it with thin and thick reissues, and on a variety of systems- every vinyl oriented audiophile I have visited has made the same observation. Very odd.

24. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Who bought the 150g pressing here?

I see a few people who bought it didn't say which one they got. I'm on the fence......

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Well, that's disappointing – from the perspective of my wallet.

Appreciate your thorough scrutiny of this one! :righton:

Also see a contrary opinion, and the fact that my blue Bizarre is uncommonly clean makes for a tough deci$ion.

I'm sure I'll eventually do the right thing and take the plunge... Hot Rats is too important to not have a reference copy.

I'd rob a bank if I thought there was any money in 'em...

latheofheaven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.