Pecko deadwax Led Zeppelin IV orig. Issue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought an original issue near mint lp led Zeppelin iv

It has pecko in the deadwax on both sides?

Should it not say porky in the deadwax on side 1?

Sounds sweet but is it not the better version because no porky in deadwax?

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I believe there are at least three (!) original sets of lacquers used for LZ4; so one set was probably marked porky/pecko, one set pecko/porky, and one just blank (maybe done a little later). Another side is labeled 'pecko duck'. I've seen almost all combinations (you can spot the blank ones by the similar 'look' to the grooves and by the fact that they sound very similar to the signed ones).

These cuts were used in the USA right through to the 75 Rockefeller era, and so there is a variation in sound quality due to the number of copies made.

HTH

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

So other than listening to it and getting a clean original issue, any other advice?

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

When it comes to popular albums, "Is this an original FIRST pressing?" becomes an impossible question to answer. Think about it. Pressing plants all over the country are pressing LPs at the same time trying to meet demand. Which one is a first pressing? Some are using stampers cut from tape copies, some are not. Sure, the matrix helps date and identify the pressing, but bottom line... there is no substitute for LISTENING and comparing.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I concur.

6. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Zep IV is the hardest LP in theri catalogue to pinpoint a consensus "best pressing"

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I tend to think this IS a first pressing. Unfortunately these are pretty hard to come by. :)

"PORKY" on side 1, "PECKO DUCK" on side 2. Delivered to a WEA branch before the album came out. The bottom photo shows all that is on the cover. Still sounds fantastic. Thanks PaulY!

Attached Files:

marcfeld69 and GreenFuz like this.
  8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've got a WLP of this as well...FWIW, it also has Porky on side 1 and Pecko Duck on side 2.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Found a near mint copy today with Porky on side 1 and Pecko Duck on side 2.

Not a WLP, but it sure sounds great.

10. motorcitydave

I've never seen an original copy of this record!

11. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

My white label promo copy has "promotional" instead of "sample" on the white label.

Also, instead of the cat./tape no. at the bottom of the label ending in "PR", my copy ends with "RI".

This particular white label promo has "PECKO" on Side 1 dead wax and "PECKO DUCK" on Side 2 dead wax. It also has @tgp on one side.

Again, with all the popularity of Led Zeppelin at the time and the anticipated demand of this LP, I would think there were several lacquers cut (and numerous corresponding mothers and stampers) for the very first run.

I have had several copies of the US first pressing and the sound difference among them are not as significant as the sound difference between them and the UK first pressing. The UK is warmer.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

My original, which I bought in December 1971, has Porky AT/GP on side one and Pecko Duck AT/GP on side two.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  13. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Nice to see more data points. I have both WLP and green/orange copies of 'porky/pecko duck' pressings, and they are my favorites for the US issue (now let's hear what's on the early UK - mine's still over there and not available for inspection..)

14. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I recently acquired one of these with the same markings.
    Side 1 has the # and -C
    Side 2 has the # and -D
    Sounds great!
    I also just acquired an Canadian pressing- which also sounds great.
    I need to compare them!
    :cheers:

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I ran accross a Porky/Pecko Duck Led Zep IV today, and it was priced at about 8.00. Good Deal, Bad Deal? The Vinyl was in very good condition.

16. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

Just taking the defibrillator to this thread...just picked up a bunch of records for free over the weekend which included a pressing of LZIV. What struck me right away was the thicker paper used for the sleeve compared to my previous Canadian Wea copy.

The vinyl is heavier, label bright and the deadwax says Pecko & PR on Side One and just the cat # on Side Two. Also, it is different from my other copy in that it is manufactured by Kinney Music of Canada.

Can anyone shine a light on what I've got here? I'd grade it NM- due to a light surface scratch on Side A but it doesn't seem to affect listening. Sounds great btw.

17. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

I have a question about the UK first pressing, perhaps someone here could answer it?

Here's a label pic. The following info is inscribed in the run out groove:

Side one reads as follows, left to right:
    Pecko Duck (hand inscribed, upside down, facing out to the edge of the disc, away from the center hole)
    followed by machine stamped 2401012 verycloselyfollowedby what appears to be an "X'd" out B4 , then A //3 1 2 2

Side two is a more standard matrix:
    upside down hand etched Porky, followed by 2401012 B//3 1 1 5

Anyone know about the scratched out "B4" on side one? And can anyone decipher the stamper coding?

BTW, the LP sounds stunning, never have I heard "Levee" with remotely the power, warmth & force that this pressing evidences.

Attached Files:

johnsiddique likes this.
  18. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

My UK first pressing (second?) is the best by far if I compare with my US ones!
    Side one:
    2401012 B4 crossed with XX A //3 1 3 3 Pecko Duck
    Side Two:
    2401012 B //3 1 2 1 0 Porky

The label has LED ZEPPELIN writen on the orange (top) part.

The US ones are:
    SD7208 Record Club Of America
    Side One:
    ST-A-712285 PR
    ST-A-712285-C AT/GP PR PORKY
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712286 PR
    ST-A-712286-E PECKO DUCK AT/GP PR

SD7208
    Side One:
    ST-A-712285 PR
    ST-A-712285-D AT/GP PR PECKO
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712286 PR
    ST-A-712286-D AT/GP PR PECKO DUCK

The sound of the UK is less compressed (2 at 4 dB) and smoother (better EQ).

19. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

^^ Thanks for more data points. It's fun seeing all these clearly different 'original' cuts described here. The one thing I like about this forum is that there are a couple of thousand continuing contributors. (my other forums and mailing lists number in the hundreds).

Peckham (pecko) was fairly cavalier with his mastering settings, and I'm not surprised there's differences between these. The biggest difference in the sound, though, it probably the softer UK vinyl formula.

20. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I have this US Atlantic White Label Promo of Led Zeppelin IV
    Labels say "SAMPLE COPY NOT FOR SALE"

It came with an inner sleeve identical to the ones issued with UK "plum" label records.

Side one dead wax: ST-A712285-F PORKY AT/GP PR
    Side two dead wax: PECKO DUCK ST-A-712286-C PR

[​IMG]
    This is pressed on heavy weight vinyl and the audio quality compares very favorably to any UK pressing.

marcfeld69 and Bill Kilbourne like this.
  21. motorcitydave

Nice! The best!

22. Panthers26

Panthers26 Forum Resident

Now that has got to be worth a lot of money!

23. Panthers26

How much did this cost?

24. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

I went through a bunch of US copies before settling on the Classic Records 200g version. That one sounds the best to me. Never could get my hands on a UK pressing, way too expensive on ebay! Someday I'll find a nice one, but for now the Classic Records version is my go to copy.

25. Panthers26

I got mine for £28GBP, good value when you consider how old and collectible a record it is. They are quite rare, most were wrecked using heavy-tracking cartridges or mis-handled. It looks EX condition, but its common with the UK A3/B3 cut to have inner groove distortion on the last track on each side due to it being cut loud. The bass on "Levee Breaks" is worth paying the price alone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.