Why no output from Eric Carmen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Evening forum members,

Being a Raspberries fan and of Eric's first two solo Arista Lps I think his studio output has been very very weak over say.... the last 3 decades............ouch. Such a huge potential. I know about the Raspberries reunion shows etc....Im talking new studio material of substance--hello Rick Rubin oranybody to get this man going again (in the right direction). Your opinions or info welcome.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

After he parted from Arista, he seemed to lose the road. It took him more than three years to put together the Geffen record, which was itself pretty spotty. Then after his success with his contributions to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, he was supposedly going to issue a new album on Arista...which didn't happen. Finally, years later, he got that album out on Rhino's subsidiary...and it was not as good as could be hoped...

I am not sure what the deal is. He was prolific enough during the Raspberries and Arista solo years, but then...I just don't get it, either...I know he's had a few DUIs in recent years. Maybe abuse problems over the years? Maybe something else?

3. drbob932

drbob932 Member

Good question. He seems pretty content to lay low around these parts. Although, the local media had a field day last year with some video of him failing a DUI test miserably. I found it pretty irrelevant, must have been a slow news day.

4. thebeatles67

Just listened to "Boats Against The Currents" for the first time in a longgg time tonight. Awesome song. Does Eric even play clubs in Cleveland? Any more Rasberries reunion tour shows coming? Last I looked on their website it was sorely out of date.

5. drbob932

drbob932 Member

They're actually supposed to be the house band of sorts for the VIP party on the night before the Rock Hall induction next week. As for Eric Carmen solo shows in town, I think I sort of recall him maybe doing private/corporate functions here and there, but really nothing of note in any of the clubs, no.

6. thebeatles67

Thanks Drbob--anyone know if Eric has a current recording contract?

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The reason why youu haven't heard anything new from Eric Carmen lately is that he is suffering from alcohol and drug abuse

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hey Brad:

We know about his public run ins that resulted in DUIs, but are you basing your comment on other information?

10. BradOlson

yep, from someone in the Cleveland area that is in the music industry and actually knows Eric.

11. BradOlson

12. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

2000's "I Was Born To Love You" was a fairly solid effort - kind of middle of the road, but quite enjoyable.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a real shame...Doubly so, since he's at the age now where your body doesn't necessarily weather these storms so well.

14. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Eric Carmen in JAIL

Eric Carmen Jailed

by Paul Cashmere - April 17 2009

Eric Carmen has the perfect place to sing his hit song `All By Myself`. Alone in a prison cell.

The 80s hit-maker has been sentenced to 180 days in jail with a minimum of 30 days on a drunk driving charge.

Carmen was arrested on September 9, 2008 when he was pulled over by police and found to have a blood-alcohol reading of .234 percent, almost three times the legal limit in California.

Carmen was driving his new Range Rover when he hit a fire hydrant in Orange County.

As part of the sentence Carmen is not allowed to drink alcohol for 12 months and have an ignition interlock system installed in his car to stop him driving if intoxicated.

He will be subject to regular alcohol testing and must take part in an alcoholism-prevention program.

Carmen was lead singer of The Rasberries in the 70s. Their biggest hit was the Beatlesque 'Go All The Way'.

His solo hits include 'All By Myself', 'She Did It', 'Never Gonna Fall In Love Again' and 'Hungry Eyes'.

15. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

This kinda makes me think of Billy Joel as I believe they have both suffered from writers block. Once prolific, top of the charts, and now, for all intent purposes has simply run out of ideas. I respect them for their restraint unlike some artists who continue to publish uninteresting material long after the muse has gone...

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

He occasionally shows up at the Chesterland Tavern, east of Mayfield Hts. My buddy bartends there and says he's nice as can be.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Hey, ask your buddy to ask him, if he'll cut us a new album, as he still has plenty of fans, especially in my neck of the woods. Also, it bothers me to hear that he is still drinking, as we have seen the trouble that seems to lead for him, especially on the 11 o'clock news.

Chris C

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Seems to me I can remember his mom or dad having health issues and he was taking it pretty bad. Sad story and hope he rebounds. The media can be merciless!

19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Another fan here...wonder if Eric ever reads this forum? I sure would love to see him make a comeback after all these years, write some killer new material, hook up with the right producer, go on the road with a tight band. We can only imagine, of course, Pete Ham & Badfinger doing this if things had worked out differently & he was still around but Eric you're still with us man...we need some new awesome rocking & melodic power pop - we know you got it in ya!

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Chris C

Sad story indeed, but, he is VERY lucky that he didn't kill himself or better yet, someone else, when he was driving under the influence!

Chris C

21. jeffrey walsh

You are so right. Let's hope for a speedy recovery and a solo tour soon!

22. Chris C

Speaking of Eric, here are a few rare discs that you guys might not know of...

"My Heart Stops", written by Diane Warren (Promo only CD single on ARISTA from 1991)

"Winter Dreams" (Japan only CD release on PIONEER, from 2000. Later to be issued in the U.S. as, "I Was Made To Love You", but without the great cover of The Left Banke's, "Walk Away Renee", that is on the Japanese disc).

I also have a CD by Janey Clewer called, "Call Me Romantic", or something like that, which features one song as a duet with Eric.

Chris C

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. jeffrey walsh

Too bad that Raspberries reunion was short lived. Would have loved to hear Eric & Wally making a ruckus again. Starting Over ll would be a great reunion album title!

24. Chris C

I happened to be lucky and got backstage at their reunion concert, which featured THE KNACK, as the opener. I may be wrong, but it sure didn't seem like Wally and Eric were too chummy back there. They both stayed in their own areas of the backstage. Of course, for any of us that saw that show, it was a TOTAL screw-up job by the sound guys. I was in the front row, just off center and I could clearly see that Eric was having huge problems with his keyboards. I don't think they were hooked up correctly and he looked like he was in a panic and not very happy and, who could blame him, right?

Chris C

Late edit: Forgot to say that the band, including Eric's great lead vocals, were tight and they rocked the venue! Clearly, Eric has gone way past thinking of The Raspberries, as a rebirth. Wally and the rest of the band are not as lucky, to not have to rely on The Raspberries, as a way to continue and get noticed. Others will argue, but it was always Eric's band and 95% of what's remembered is what Eric brought to the table. Now, with that said, Rachmonioff has a different way of feeling, regarding Eric's "solo" career, as you might well know...

Horse Brunsby likes this.
  25. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I think his problem was that his primary audience was young teen and pre-teen girls. You might as well ask what happened to David Cassidy, Donny Osmond, Davy Jones or the Monkees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.