Biggest Outdoor Rock Fest?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Backsasser, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backsasser

Backsasser Forum Resident Thread Starter

The first and biggest outdoor show i attended was on June 2 1979 in Raleigh,NC.I believe it was Carter's Stadium.The lineup in order of appearance
    Poco
    Van Halen
    Boston
    The Outlaws
    It was a crazy day and one of my most fond memories.
    Poco dropped all ballads and rocked!Van Halen were touring their second album and they just rocked that stadium like there was no tomorrow.People in the front were throwing these red cups at the stage during Van Halen's performance and Roth had the band stop in the middle of a song and threaten to kick somebody's butt!
    Boston was amazing they killed it!And believe it or not those were all great performances then the Outlaws took the stage and they were the best i had ever seen them!They played with such fury.I wish you all could have been there priceless!
    Attendance was about 60,000

junk and JimD like this.
  2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

One of the biggest I attende was at the Zeppelin Feld in Nuremberg 1970 with 70.000 people at the very same place were Adolf Hitler had that huge mass meetings with militaray lightning that could be seen 200 kilometers and that reached 6000 meters and gave the attendants a feeling of being insode a huge cathedral (seen snippets in black & white from that day in 1934 on TV last night). Gigantic.

anyway that day and night the Bands were amo Cheap Trick, Nils Lofgren, The Scorpions, AC / DC (with Bon Scott) and THE WHO - first time without Keith, but with a gigantic back then unique avantgarde LASER SHOW - First time ever seem that green Laser Lights there.
    BTW one of the best bands that day was The Steve Gibbons Band , but they were all great ! AC / DC killed it with HELLS BELLS thou...

Backsasser likes this.
  3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

4. Backsasser

Maybe 1979?

5. Watkins Glen: Band, Dead, Allmans July 23, 1973 600,000 people

I think the largest in a stadium was Yes, and Frampton, at Philly's JFK stadium June 12, 1976 125,000

i am sure there have been others

Backsasser likes this.
  6. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I attended the "Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto", after getting my ticket in a case of beer;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molson_Canadian_Rocks_for_Toronto

"Estimated to have between 450,000 and 500,000 people attending the concert, it is the largest outdoor ticketed event in Canadian history, and one of the largest in North American history."

Bands included the Stones, AC/DC, RUSH, the Guess Who and more...it was a blast!

7. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Ultra Fest in Miami a few weeks ago... over 80,000 people!!

8. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Knebworth 1976, close to 200,000 with the Stones, 10cc, Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren and others.
    Blackbush(e) 1978, over 200,000 with Dylan, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker and others

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Clapton being the other, not sure who else. Would've loved to have gone to that show.

I've been down to the site there a few times, it's not that far away from where I was born in Surrey. They have a big Sunday market there. Not sure why other acts haven't played there, seems a decent place for a large gig. I'd suggest better than Knebworth (where I currently live,) where its a complete pain to get to the site.

10. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I think there have been problems getting permission from the local authorities.

11. jackaroe

jackaroe Active Member

Roger Waters - The Wall live in Berlin - over 300,000.

12. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Bon doing Hell's Bells? Hmmmm...

13. marka

marka Forum Resident

The last Presidential Inauguration, featuring Aretha Franklin (and her hat), Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Pearlman... 1.5 million.

14. Backsasser

Wow!That must have been something!

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I attended the largest paying outdoor rock concert, which was the SARS benefit in Toronto. Over 500,000 paying attendees. Too many people, IMHO.

16. Jersey Shore Bob

Jersey Shore Bob New Member

The SUMMER JAM FESTIVAL at Watkins Glen, New York on July 28, 1973 featured the Grateful Dead, the Band & the Allman Brothers, and newspapers at the time reported a crowd of 700,000 ~ I remember there were people dancing for as far as you could see in every direction ~ and the Dead, Band & Allmans jammed together on stage as the sun came up on Sunday morning....

17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

In the fall of '78 I attended a free outdoor concert in L.A. that had Chicago as the headliner. This show was the finale for a week of concerts held during the "LA Street Scene". Various jazz acts had been playing all week.This was Chicago's first outting after the death of Terry Kath. IIRC, they were set up on the steps of the Los Angeles City Hall.
    A month or so after that show, People magazine did a feature on Chicago, focusing on the passing of a founding member. They mentioned this show, quoting that there were more than 300 thousand in attendence.
    Certainly more people than anything I had ever seen.

18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

It wasn't a 'fest' but I believe I had about 499,999 close friends at Simon and Garfunkel's concert in Central Park.

And there was a huge crowd for the No Nukes march/concert in the park in 1982. I remember Ziggy Marley, Jackson Browne and the Boss performed, but I forget the rest of the roster.

19. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Count me in for Watkins Glen 1973 Summer Jam too.

20. Didn't happen.

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

me too. i was sorry we didn't get there in time for the warmup sets the night before. the day of the main show we left after the band's set. we were just too tired and wet to care anymore and decided that was it.

the free simon & garfunkel show was great. we ended up with backstage passes. pretty comfortable back there with bleachers about 30 ft off the stage with speakers facing us.

22. Anyone know the big festival that took place in (or just outside of) Winnipeg in the 70's?

I was too young to go but cars all over the city had the red parking pass sticker on their windsheilds that summer.

I believe the headliners were The Eagles and Steve Miller Band.

Sound familiar?

23. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert

Back in 1994. Maybe 80,000 people or so there. Great show that ran 7 1/2 hours. It was the last event at the old Cleveland Muni Stadium.

24. Baron Von Talbot

ooops, it was of course later - 1979 typo missed the 9 hit the next one - 0..

25. Baron Von Talbot

I wasn't familiar with AC/DC back then, so i checked release dates and personel. In fact the concert was in early September of 1979 and the last album with Bon Scott was Highway To Hell, which came out in June of 1979. In 1980 Back in Black was released and I always though they played some of the songs from that one, too. Maybe yes. maybe no.
    How do they usually start their shows with that killer one two riffs from left to right ? I thought it was Hells Bells - of course there was no huge bell on stage, that is what I know, I happened to be real close to the left ( right from stage) stack of amps, since the Scorpions played directly before , Cheap trick later and that was already LOUD Rock at it's best BUT the opening chords just killed it. Felt 3 times as loud + mighty. Killer opener like Back in Black or Thunderstruck but that was later.
    Who knows , maybe they had written Hells Bells already and just put it on the next LP with the new singer ? Seems unlikely I know..
    Any ideas ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.