RARE Sonny and Cher

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cherbette, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here is a list of some of my vinyl collection by Cher/Sonny and Cher that I consider to be rare. Have you guys ever heard any of these?

Sonny and Cher single only from UK You Gotta Have a Thing Of Your Own (never on CD) on Red Atlantic label 584215 from 1968 2:48 b/w I Got You Babe

Cher - Ma Piano (Per Non Svegliarmi) Lib 12049 b/w Nel Mio Cielo Ci Sei Tu (neither of these on cd)

Cher- Chastity's Song (Band of Theieves) Atco 45-6684 from the 1969 film 'Chastity' b/w I Walk on Guilded Splinters. Both badly remastered on cd by Rhino handmade. Altho I don't think the mono single mix of I Walk on Guilded Splinters was included.

Cher and Harry Nilsson - A Love Like Yours SPS 0402 on Warner/Spector b/w (Just Enough to Keep me) Hangin' On (never on cd)

I have two copies of Sonny and Cher's last single on WBR in 1977 from their last album which remains unreleased in its entirety to this day. WBS 8341 "You're Not Right for Me" b/w "Wrong Number" one is a promo with Stereo/Mono WBS 8341 (never on cd)

Cher - Some Guys is the B side to the "If I Could Turn Back Time" single (never on cd)

Cher - A Woman's Story/ Baby, I Love You 1974 on Warner/Spector SPS 0400 (never on cd)

Sonny and Cher - You're a Friend of Mine b/w Sonny solo I Would Marry You Today Atco 45-6683 (never on cd) 1969 I believe it doesn't say on the vinyl

Sonny solo under the name of Little Tootsie - Comin' Down the Chimney I have two copies of this one has some other artist on the flip side the 2nd has another Sonny solo track called "One Little Answer" on Specialty Records there doesn't seem to be a catalog number for this one

Sonny and Cher - Get it Together on Atco 6758 b/w Hold You Tighter (again no year but i think it's 1969) (never on cd)

Sonny and Cher - Circus (never on cd) on Atco 6555X b/w I Would Marry You Today (Sonny solo)

Sonny and Cher - Petit Homme (Sonny and Cher sing their hit "Little Man" in French) b/w Mais Tu Es A Moi (their hit "But You're Mine" in French) Atco F 117X (never on cd)

I also have the 4 sealed albums Cher did for WBR. Stars from 1975 produced by Jimmy Webb, I'd Rather Believe in You 1976 produced by Steve Barri and Michael Omartian, Allman and Woman - Two The Hard Way (with Gregg Allman) 1977, and Cherished 1977 produced by Snuff Garrett and Al Capps. All four of these are sealed and have never been put on cd either. I spent some time reviewing the vinyl as well. I noticed that most all of them are pretty prestine...but they may need some professional cleaning. I don't have a turntable or unfortunately, the finances to afford the nice setups I read about here but I was hoping someone might be interested in this material.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Just the one with Gregg Allman. He could sing a lot better than Sonny but when it came to dueting with Cher, forget it. Sonny and Cher were great together.

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Do Nilsson and Cher also sing together on the b-side of their single? I have a promo copy that has the a-side on both sides. Did they do any other songs together? I haven't listened to Sonny and Cher in a long time but I will pull out some things and listen now that you've made me think about them. It looks like you have some rare items.

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

That's a GREAT collection!:righton: A massive Cher fan here as well.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I, too, have only heard the Gregg Allman/Cher album. I transferred it to cd myself since it didn't seem likely to receive a reissue. (Then again, who thought that things like Laverne and Shirley's album would be reissued by Collector's Choice?)

I'm confused by your post, however. Are you trying to sell your stuff or just start a discussion?

6. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I think he's searching for someone to 'drop them.

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Gregg Allman/Cher album is one of my favourites. An incredible production that screams for a decent CD reissue!:righton:

8. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I do like "Can You Fool". Haven't heard it all. I'll check it out.

9. cherbette

I would love to find somebody to 'drop them.

To answer your question Reader, the b side to A Love Like Yours is a solo Cher song from her 1969 album '3614 Jackson Hwy'.

The Cher and Gregg album along with the other 3 albums Cher did on that same WBR label will likely never be released to CD unless Cher has something to do with it because she owns them all...I'd be willing to bet she may even have the master tapes. Someone actually wrote in to Rolling Stone or Billboard (cant remember which) and they featured the response in an issue and it was about the 1st album Cher did on WBR in 1975 called Stars and they stated they did some research and found Cher owned the albums. Another interesting fact is that Cher put a lot of money out of her own pocket into the Allman and Woman album at the time.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It's one of my favorites, too. I don't know what it is, but Cher's and Gregg's voices just go so well together on that album, even though I don't generally like Gregg's singing. A lot of the material is very good, too.

11. cherbette

I like some of the classic Allman Brothers hits and some of Gregg's solo hits but he definitely shines here...their voices sound great together.

12. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

I have the Little Tootsie 45 on Specialty and the two Cher singles on Warner/Spector.

I had the Allman & Woman album (found it for a dollar), but found it too painful to listen to and got rid of it quickly.

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Gregg hits so many bad notes it isn't funny. Well, maybe it is funny. I'm playing this album again as I write this. I don't know what it is, but I still love this album.

14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Maybe not technically perfect but some of the most soulful and emotional singing I ever heard.

15. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Check out the Cher only track from "Allman and Woman" called Island. It's one of the fan's favorites.
    Another interesting thing about this album is that it is the second time Cher has dueted "You Really Got A Hold on Me". I prefer the Sonny one though.

16. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Due out May 19th on CD, according to page 11 of the Collector's Choice Music catalog I received today, is CHER: 3614 Jackson Highway, an 11 song solo album cut in 1969 for ATCO with the Muscle Shoals session players.

Tracks:
    For What It's Worth
    (Just Enough To Keep Me) Hangin' On
    The Dock Of The Bay
    Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
    I Threw It All Away
    I Walk On Guilded Splinters
    Lay Baby Lay
    Please Don't Tell Me
    Cry Like A Baby
    Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
    Save The Children

Link:
    http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemID=CCM20242

17. cherbette

Yeah Rhino did this one a couple years ago for their Handmade series with a fan I know named Ward Lamb at head who wrote the liner notes and helped track almost an entire albums worth of extra material from around the same time as the Jackson Hwy sessions

18. cherbette

Island is great...Cher's solo track on the album. Gregg's solo track on the album is pretty good as well. Shadow Dream Song I think it's called.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

What Collector's Choice isn't telling you, however, is that this album was already released on cd by Rhino Handmade. That cd contained 12 bonus tracks.

http://www.geocities.com/marcapreguntas/chertracks.htm

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I love this album so much that I'm playing it two times in a row! (At only about 38 minutes long, I suppose that playing this album twice is the equivalent of playing a modern album once.)

21. cherbette

The only song from Allman and Woman ever on cd appeared on the Allman Brothers Dreams box set...which i have.

22. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

No,the B-side is Cher solo.As far as I know,that was the only thing they recorded together...

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Really rare Sonny & Cher = "Baby Don't Go" in stereo, absent the harmonica overdub.

Who has that?

24. cherbette

I have this!! It's on an album called Caesar and Cleo and friends...when Sonny and Cher recorded under this name. It also has Let the Good Times Roll, Love is Strange and Do You Wanna Dance both by "Caesar and Cleo"

25. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Have heard or owned everything from the first post. Most of the stuff I've sold off, but some is preserved onto CD-Rs. Been a Cher fan since age 12, although nowadays I play very little of her music. The 60s stuff (alone and with Sonny) has major charm, as well as all the foreign language 60s tracks. The mid-70s Spector produced material should be officially released on CD, as well as the "Stars" and "Two The Hard Way" albums. The mid-70s never released Sonny & Cher album remains a mystery, but likely doesn't contain anything very remarkable. "You're Not Right For Me" is decent, but "Wrong Number" is pretty sad. :D Don't care for the Geffen-era albums at all. All I own by Cher post-1980 is the 1995 "It's A Man's World" CD (UK version).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.