WYWH Crude Matrix 35DP-4

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by pdovore, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I missed it as well with my search. I'm on the fence about posting these Darren. A big issue I have seen on occassion is members bidding up the price for the hell of it.... we may have all been guilty of that at some point.

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I will toss in my own opinion on this matter -- which is that it's a widely-known matter of etiquette that open auctions are not publicized here. I understand the argument that this is an exceptional auction, but I would say it's always better to err on the cautious side. I don't much care for the excuse that "everyone would know about it anyway". The charm and excitement of eBay is that every once in a while something slips under the radar. Certainly it's less likely to happen if everyone just assumes it's not going to. I recently won a fairly special CD for a good price, and I am sure that if it was advertised here it would have gone for much more. I can tell you that it would have upset me if someone had drawn attention to it here.

Some months ago there was that sealed WYWH which was followed here, and I must admit it never crossed my mind that it was inappropriate to post that one. Certainly that was a very special case, though.

I'm thankful that this is a civilized discussion (so far) and I think this case is getting into a bit of a gray area... but why not just play it safe and not post it? It's the nice thing to do.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I don't agree that it is different Darren, :) I was saying that someone here could be watching one of my auctions and when I post it here the price may be driven up. The effect on the forum members watching it is identical to someone posting a non-members auction. In each case they may have to pay more.

That's my reason for saying post none (rule intact) or post them all (no rule). Just my opinion :wave:

4. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Well Barry, it's the opposite side of the argument, because you are posting this as the seller and not a buyer. The seller wants the best price he can get and if thats advertized, like here on the forum, he should do ok. But the buyers want to pay as little as possible, hence the "stealth" mode of most ebayers/collectors and their searches eh? A different perspective really, but yeah, I wish there was some actual rule or guidance on the forum, totally agree with you.:agree:

It's easy to say "post them all" especially if you already own a copy (as many of us do here), but if this was one of your grail Cds on your wants list, it must be a little upsetting knowing that the whole SHtv membership are aware of it and that you undoubtedly now have more competition to win it.

PlusMinus, nice post, it is about etiquette and consideration for others.:righton:

Anyway, like I said, it's no biggie. Everythings' :cool: :wave:

5. Slightly off-topic of the off-topic posts but I thought some of you might like to know...

Ebay allows the use of wildcard searches. This auction would not have gone under my radar because my saved search looks like:

pink floyd (35dp*)

which matches "pink" and "floyd" and anything else that begins with "35dp".

Have fun.

-s1m0n-

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Absolutely. I found the auction and had it saved to "My eBay" before this thread launched.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Bottom line: You aren't going to steal a 35DP Wish You Were Here CD on eBay cheap unless you find a seller who doesn't know what he has and assigns a low Buy It Now. Otherwise, in a regular auction, you will have to pay several hundreds of dollars. It doesn't matter if the auction is mentioned here or not. If you cannot afford that, then I am sorry. Just don't complain about an auction being mentioned here. It isn't going to influence the outcome.

8. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

You are right about 35dp4's, there are so many people hunting for those that it should make little difference to the price.

I do not, however, agree with the idea of posting links to active non BIN auctions here. If I have done the hard work of searching for and finding something not easily seen, and then the day before it ends, someone posts a link to it here, it can be really annoying.

9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I couldn't disagree more. Even if the price is only $100 or more less, posting collectible auctions here is like throwing chum in the water with sharks. SH Forumites are the sharks in this case.

I completely agree with this, David. If someone here is selling it, they should be allowed to post their own auctions. But, non-personal live auctions used to be the (un)written rule, I thought.

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

cd bidding on ebay seems to have got real hot in the last month.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have to say that I agree that open auctions should generally not be posted. In this particular case, I doubt that anyone would have gotten a bargain, regardless of the way the title was phrased. The seller is simply too high profile. Besides, I saw it, and don't have a silver face, so I would have bid if it were at $20 with a few hours to go. :)

Again, though, I think that we should refrain from posting. If you know someone that is looking for a particular item, send a PM to the person alerting them to the auction. Simple. The only exception would be if something insane shows up, like the sealed 35DP-4 with a 9 day auction that showed up earlier this year -- that's close to newsworthy so it deserved to be publicized!

12. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Why in the world would you want to try and hide these EBay auctions from other forum members? That's ridiculous. There are hundreds of big Pink Floyd collectors throughout the world that follow these auctions and bid on such items. To think that publicizing it here makes a difference in what such an item sells for is a bit naive, IMO. Even before this thread was started, I knew about the auction, was notified by another collector (not on this forum) about it, and sent out some e-mails to other collectors that I knew might be interested in it.

It is good to post open auctions on the forum for items that you think may be of interest to other forum members. Let the marketplace decide the price, and help out your fellow collectors. You may be the one in the future that benefits from such information.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree that high profile items won't make a difference, but even now, you can find the "hidden gem" - which gives me the same rush that I used to get going through the bins of used record stores (which barely exist these days).

I found my "partial wall" first version 50DP copy of the Wall online. No picture, so I emailed the seller and he told me the matrix no. Four or five days later it was mine for $10 or so. It was a nice little rush when I won that; like the time I found my gold 35DP-4 in the used bins (although it wasn't a "holy grail" back then, it was still pretty rare). I would not have been too thrilled if someone posted here that a seller had a 50DP first version for auction and directed everyone to that listing.

I think it depends on what you enjoy about collecting. But I'm flexible -- I guess, if everyone wants to post auctions, I'll go along.

14. eelkiller

Please explain why the double standard here. If I was watching a forum member's EBay auction and he/she posts it I would feel the exact same way as when someone posts any other EBay item.

Perhaps I need to go back to school as I see no difference in posting members or non-members items. The price may go up in both cases and the bidder has to pay more. Is this not true or am I missing the boat here?

15. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

It's EXACTLY the same, but 100% different :)

16. eelkiller

:laugh: Got It!!!

17. rburly

My original thinking was that members post their auctions here anyway, so why should we stop them from posting rare collectibles such as the 35DP-4.

As Darren mentioned earlier in this thread, maybe only closed auctions should be posted. But I still think Forum members should be able to post their own auctions. Christian's 35DP-4 was in one of several auctions he had.

As Vernon, I knew about this auction before it was posted here. But I never would have thought of posting it. I think the best idea that I've read so far is only posting BIN auctions.

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Rick, I think Barry's point is that NO Auctions at all should be posted..a blanket ban on all ebay items. Otherwise, well, it's double standards. So in a roundabout way, he actually agrees with you and is against posting these..and all others as well. To ensure a sense of fair play, all around, to all concerned (well I think thats what he meant :help:)

19. rburly

I would be for that then. Yes, it does seem like a double standard. It's up to the gorts here though. It comes up every 6 mos. to a year, but nothing has ever been done about about it, ie. no definitive Forum Policy/Rule about posting what type of auction links. Personally, I think the BIN auctions should be allowed, and to be consistent, only BIN auctions. But, that's just my opinion. :)

20. eelkiller

That would be perfect. There would be no more complaints (hopefully)

21. rburly

:righton: :)

22. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Agree!

23. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

I agree. Also, note that I wouldn't have posted it if I would have thought in a million years it would slide by unnoticed. :D

24. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

It's naive to think that publishing live auctions here doesn't affect the price, when it's a certainity that the more exposure an item has, the higher the price.

Posting live auctions only helps those too lazy to search for themselves...and it screws with the other people are are ACTIVELY searching for rare auctions regularly.

I understand the motivation for posting auctions here...but when it's at the expense of other forum members who were watching that item, I think the nice gesture becomes something far less than nice....'cause let's face it, you're helping people who could help themselves, but haven't, over people who are taking initiative.

25. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Also think about the forum members who are looking for this and might of missed the auction if it wasn't for this post. It is a favor to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.