Garth Brooks - Double Live (The worst live album ever?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heatherly, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I went into a Walmart yesterday and noticed Garth's live album, "Double Live" on sale for 3 bucks! I figured I spend more money on chewing gum for the week, I should splurge on a live Garth record. Boy I should have spent the 3 bucks on gum instead. This record sounds like a random cluster***k of songs taken from different sources. The sound is muddy and they fade most tracks into each other, which you'll never hear at a "live" show. Anyone else buy/hear this album? The performances are pretty run of the mill and judging by videos on youtube he seems to be a good entertainer, but this album does him no favors.

Any thoughts?

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i know garth sells well and has his fans really adore him, but he sure seems to hang on his (long ago) past accomplishments.

3. The record sounds like a random cluster***k of songs taken from different sources because that's what it is, songs taken from random different un-named concerts. This is also why the songs are faded in and out, to eliminate a confusing mishmash of stage chatter. This sort of "live album" is all too common.

I wonder if Garth got the idea from the Butthole Surfers 1989 album of the same title. :D

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

You should have spent $6 more to buy Garth's Wal-Mart 5 DVD concert box set, "The Entertainer" -- at least you'd get to *see* Garth whooping it up in concert too.

Check out allmusic.com's review of the Double Live album.

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Are you sure the album is actually live? From what you describe it sounds like it could be studio tracks with applause added on top.

:hurlleft:

6. heatherly

That allmusic review sums it up pretty nicely, thanks for the heads up on it!

I'm still out 3 bucks though... ;)

7. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

If I recall correctly, I think that at the time, Garth was on a vain crusade to surpass the Beatles in record sales, by putting out double sets. I know it sounds crazy, but I remember Entertainment Weekly stated that he probably would. Sometimes justice does prevail.

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The Extended versions of Thunder Rolls and Friends in Low Places from the video of This Is Garth Brooks were released on a Jukebox only by Liberty/Capitol. These well known live versions were left off this patchwork live release. Dumb.
    I agree for Live Garth from this period get the video box. Its cheap and it sounds great.

9. MaccaFan88

MaccaFan88 New Member

interesting replies, I am a huge Garth fan and very much enjoy this album, probably has something to do with hearing it a lot in the car as a kid. Oh well, horses for courses I guess.

10. heatherly

I became a huge Garth fan during the 1991-1992 period (the cover of "Ropin The Wind" seemed so cool to me at the time). Then I bought "In Pieces" and my loyalty was cemented for a while, that is still my fave Garth record.... Then he came out with "The Limited Series" and I bought it but was turned away ASAP.. Now I buy what I want and I thought I could get something to remind me of my past for a small price...boy was I wrong..this compilation sucks!

11. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I worked in country radio in the early 90s, and I "didn't get" Garth Brooks then, and I still don't. There were so many really talented country singers during that time who were overlooked while he sold a kazillion copies of his bubblegum music. It's a crime to me that Marty Stuart doesn't sell much, for instance.

I'm not surprised the live album is apparently so dismal. It is what it is: a semi-talented guy "whoopin' it up". Well, I occasionally throw barbeque parties in my back yard with friends, with lots of beer, and we'll sing along to our favorite tunes on the stereo, but I'm not certain I could sell many copies of a "live CD" of us whoopin' it up....though apparently Garth Brooks at one time was able to do so.

:laugh:

12. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Even worse than Frampton Comes Alive? I dunno....

13. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Garth Brooks-Double Live (The worst live album ever?)

Yeah!

14. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

"I just want to know one thing: Why does Garth Brooks sell more records than... Other artists?!" - Pete Townshend

:D

15. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

When I saw the title of this thread, my impulse was to reply with "well, thats what you get for buying that junk in the first place!" But for 3 bucks, even I mighta bought it just for a live version of "friends in low places" (the ONLY Garth song I can tolerate; goes to show even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile). Is FILP a least a good version?

Generally speaking though, I usually dont mind live albums taken from different sources, as long as the songs flow well. The Clash's "from here to eternity" comes to mind.

16. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

It's the highest selling live album so apparently Garth marketed it right.

I like watching Garth live. He puts on a good show. But all I get out of listening to it is the extra verses and interesting intros/outros.

17. ScottRoad

ScottRoad Member

What exactly is the point of this thread besides bashing the artist?

18. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

So what if it is?

And if it is, would your reply qualify as a threadcrap?

There are artists who make music and recordings that are not very good. This live album from Garth Brooks is an especially egregious example of substandard "product."

I hope you're not suggesting that we should only post positive thoughts about every artist on this forum.

19. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Don't forget to bash the album too!

It's S***!

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:anfuxqljldde

Looks like a perfect "end of en era" album for the music industry

21. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Seems like a good idea to me.

22. heatherly

Well being that I am the OP, my intent was not to bash Garth as an artist. Like I stated, I enjoy his first 5 studio records quite a bit and his "Ultimate Hits" comp has been on my Ipod since I purchased it about a year ago. He seems to be really generous with his masters (Ultimate Hits has 30-odd songs and a DVD of videos for 12 bucks! Who else does that). But the album "Double Live" does him no favors as an artist or entertainer. It sounds crappy, there is no flow at all and it comes off as a blatant attempt at earning more sales and certifications. The same could be said for "Ultimate Hits" but the material on there is A1. So my intent was not to bash Garth or any of his work other just to get opinions on DL. And it appears some gents on the board agree with me.:wave:

Cheers,heatherly

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I needed to buy Garth Brook’s Friends In Low Places for our high school reunion dance. Lo and behold it’s not on ITunes. I didn’t know he still thought he was as big as The Beatles. Wake up and put your stuff on ITunes Garth!!!

24. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Yeah, I remember this too. He thought the album was going to push him over the top and make him the biggest act of all time, but it was almost the beginning of the end for him. After this was the Chris Gaines album and then I think he had another studio album which had some sales but nothing compared to what he was used to before that.

25. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

You can find that song at any Wal-Mart or used CD bin. "No Fences" (Garth's best selling album) is a good CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.