WYWH Crude Matrix 35DP-4

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by pdovore, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thats what I'm thinking too PM

No Andrew, they all sound as good as each other, but "semantics" is what drives the collectability and price of a true 1st press as opposed to a 2nd run or 3rd run..it's what separates us from the apes :sigh: :winkgrin:

no Problem Rick, it's Friday Night..have some fun :goodie:

So is Simon correct, 3 different pressing at least?.(Gold /Crude, Silver/Crude, Silver/Lasered)..makes sense...unless someone knows different!

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It could very well be. The Silver is the one I bought from Christian.

The Silver could be crude as well, it has a "." after the "35DP 4" in the middle. The numbers just look more crude on the Gold disc.

3. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Wow, so $500 (and up) for a CD that doesn't even sound better than a common version? Seems like a lot of money for a 'hand-etched' matrix number but go nuts with yer bad selves. :cool:

(Good luck justifying that price with a significant other, or any other sane person... I mean, non-'matrix number enthusiast'.)

4. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Well, to be fair to the big spenders, the 35DP mastering is regarded by many to be the best sounding. It's an ongoing discussion which has taken place in many threads here.

5. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

yeah, you misread my reply. "They all sound as good as each other" refers to all the 35DP-4 versions, not any old WYWH from Brazil or Argentina.

6. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident Thread Starter

They do not all sound the same. Surely there are audio enthusiasts here as opposed to just collectors! That statement is just daft

The earliest pressed CD's tend to sound better and this is not just for Japan copies, but across the board.
    So, Blue Spiral/Swirl's tend to impress over an Orange Wave/Swirl (etc)
    Of course due to manufacturing quality control, you will get exceptions

In the case of 35DP's, in my experience the "+++++"'s sound less impressive than all the others; those without the "+"'s sounding slightly better and the crude-etched copies sounding the most impressive.
    The difference may or may not be noticable to some, but it exists nonetheless

This all makes perfect sense when you consider a companys natural drive for generating profit, since reducing the cost of the manufacturing process is one way to improve its Operating profit.

So, a 35DP-4 manufactured in 1982 will never sound exactly the same as one made in 1985, but it may sound similar
    How you judge the difference and so it's value to you, is of course different for each person

7. rburly

I don't want to speak for Darren (but obviously I am. He'll be along later this morning to answer for himself) but he agrees with you.

Darren and I have been among two of the biggest proponents for the 1982 35DP 4's sounding better than any other version. :)

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

PDovore, TMan, This was the question...
    the answer was...

hopefully thats all clear? We are only taking about differences with the 35DP-4. Most people agree that the Japan for USA sounds the same as the Japan for Japan. Whether it's a crude matrix or not, gold or silver,"they all sound as good as each other". If you think a ++++ matrix sounds worse, thats fine and it would interesting if you could demonstrate it, but I'm confused with people either misreading this or taking my comments out of context and suggesting I said that the 35DP-4 sounds exactly the same as a Bolivian bootleg.

9. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Do they all go for upwards of $500? If not, I stand by my snark. :)

10. rburly

If you sit still long enough, yes. ;)

The Japan for Japan always do, yes. :)

11. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

Darren, that's one of the reasons I didn't mind selling my 35DP-4 J for J as the matrix was "35DP-4 71A6" whereas my J for US is crude 35DP-4-7 1A1 CBS/SONY stamped hub.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have two 35DP 4 discs with the crude matrix code font. One is gold on the label side. The other has the standard aluminum color. I also have a Japan-for-U.S. CK 33453 disc pressed by CBS/Sony with the later neat matrix code font. All three discs sound the same.

(All three discs are identical by EAC, but I realize that is irrelevant for this discussion. ;))

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thanks Christian, and this was a SILVER non crude, according to Rick's post on the last page:thumbsup:

Thanks for that too Keith. :thumbsup:

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, but isn't that gold face disc beautiful? It's like having three children - you love them all, but you secretly love one most of all. :laugh:

15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

:eek::shh::):agree::laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.