XRCDs coming in June - Blue Notes!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Yes indeed. For those who don't know, we also included two very interesting alternate takes on Horace Parlan's "Speakin' My Piece".

2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Joe forgive me if this was announced earlier - but will there also be a subscription option for the XRCDs as for the LPs?

Could not agree more...FREEDOM is one of THE BEST of Kenny Burrell's recordings, and it is mystifying why it hasn't been issued in the U.S. That King LP pressing is very nice (I have one and find it is one of my most played Burrell titles), but I would LOVE to see Music Matters do it up even better.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Tony,

See post #98.

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks Hans, missed that! :)

5. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I still haven't heard Freedom...

You guys are killin' me here... :D

6. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

About the packaging....I'm envisioning Mobile Fidelity Packaging...is that what you have in mind...or something even more mind-blowing?

7. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

It comes up every once in a while on Ebay. Knowing your superb taste in BN and jazz in general, you should search it out. It's a wonderful album, culled from several sessions.

OR...you could wait since there's a very good shot that we will present this one in the Music Matters program on 45RPM LP.

cheers :cheers:

Joe

8. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

This was discussed before but packaging will be the bound book style of past XRCDs and will include the Francis Wolff session photos for each release.

We view these XRCDs as kind of a parallel to what we are doing with the Music Matters Blue Note LPs. In other words, our aim here is to present definitive digital editions of the Blue Note catalog.

9. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

You're right I read that and forgot! Sorry about that. I never saw a bound style xrcd before so it will be a new experience for me!

10. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Do you know about Kenny's "Swingin'"? Great album featuring Tina Brooks on a couple of tracks and a "whose who" on the rest.

Michael Cuscuna really pulled some great ones together for King and Toshiba EMI back in the 70s.

Attached Files:

11. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Unless I am mistaken all the tracks on SWINGIN' have appeared as bonus tracks on various U.S. Burrell Blue Note CDs over the years (some on ON VIEW AT THE FIVE SPOT CAFE, some on BLUE LIGHTS, and some on the U.S. INTRODUCING KENNY BURRELL twofer). Unlike the FREEDOM stuff which is still M.I.A.

Still, I'm sure those SWINGIN' tracks sound even better on King vinyl than on the CD reissues. :)

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Yeah, it's basically mono, isn't it? I wonder the same about the stereo imagery of it on XRCD?

13. dee

dee Senior Member

That is good news. I need a sonic upgrade on this title, and with the bonus tracks, too, :).

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Let me put this another way. If Analouge Productions is releasing their Blue Notes in SACD, and SACD is the higher fidelity format, why are we being asked to settle for a lower quality fidelity in the XRCD format?:confused:

15. triple

triple Senior Member

This whole Blue Note business is controversial. I like a good controversy! Let's see...

In the middle of a recession there is a flood of audiophile reissues in all formats, even in despised ones, like CD.

For years people were prasing the original mono LP's, while Steve Hoffman dennounced this by releasing the new reissues in great stereo. Additionally, some audiophile e-zine which shall remain unnamed has reported about "crunchy highs" on SH mastered BN SACD's. Naturally, everyone on the forum claims that they sound absolutely wonderful (and I believe them)...

Perhaps there will be supporters for these XRCD BN reissues despite the "low tech" format? :D Count me in.

These are exciting times for jazz lovers. :)

Goran

16. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Rest assured we won't be messing with "folding in" stereo to make mono on these. We're presenting these XRCDs as close to the sound of the master tapes as possible.

I think you'll be pleased with the results. I sure am.

17. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi John,

Your not being asked to settle for anything. We're releasing these on XRCD because I firmly believe that XRCD, as mastered by Alan Yoshida, presents these sessions in the very best digital light. I've had extensive involvement with both SACD and XRCD over the years. My choice of XRCD was strictly based on a desire to get the very best sonic results.

Before making assumptions, check out one of these when they come out. A listen and comparison will answer every question.

cheers:cheers:

Joe

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Are you a jazz lover? If so, then have you heard the Hoffman mastered SACD's for yourself. If not, you need to. Even though the Blue Note titles in this series that is being discussed in this thread are XRCD's, I believe Joe and will try these. I love the Blue Note SACD's. This is a great time indeed for jazz lovers.

19. triple

triple Senior Member

What constitutes a jazz lover? If only those with the word rock in their name qualify, then I obviously don't. :wave:

Goran

20. therockman

Ha! Ha! Ha! I am just now getting into jazz myself, I have no prior experience with jazz before a couple of years ago, so these series of re-issues constitues my only exposure to most of these titles.

21. bw

bw Forum Resident

Have you ever heard an XRCD mastered by Alan Yoshida? They are wonderful. "Lowerer quality fidelity" is not a description I would use.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I have not, so I can't comment on them. For a more accurate description I should have used the term lower resolution. :wave:

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Some great titles listed for upcoming release during the next year, and a few of my favorites too, :) Open Sesame and Tom Cat.

24. Are any Blue Note titles both being released by both new release campaigns, the 25 Blue Note SACD's which Steve is mastering and the (up to now) 25 announced titles in the new XRCD24 series?

I would prefer if this is not the case. On the other hand, it might be a good comparison to see which mastering style you prefer for these titles.

I noticed that the XRCD series already includes a few titles which were also released by Classic Records on DAD, such as:

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
    Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
    Lou Donaldson - Lou Takes Off
    Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

I already have these DAD's, so I will probably not get the XRCD's for those, unless I read on this forum from ears that I trust that the new XRCD's are superior. I quite like these DAD's.

25. therockman

Well I called Elusivedisc to subscribe to the series and the gentleman said that they do not have any information on the series and they are not taking any orders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.