Steve's Analogue Productions Blue Note SACD/CD Sound Quality Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jpm-boston, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've been listening to Capuchin Swing, Whistlestop and Leeway. I have to say I am rather disappointed in the sound of these three. They seem soft on the top and lacking in detail. A rather veiled sound.

These are the first SACDs mastered by Steve I have not enjoyed. I wonder if the authoring process was screwed up...?

Anyone else hearing the same thing?

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I only have Capuchin Swing of the three and that was not my experience. Plenty of highs. Perhaps SH can comment on any EQ or processing that may have altered this compared to other versions you've heard.

3. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Well, I have Capuchin Swing on both the 45rpm vinyl and SACD. I compared them on my system and they sound pretty much the same. Which is GREAT! I haven't had an opportunity to compare the other title for which I have both the 45rpm vinyl and SACD: Dexter Calling.... However, I suspect that these will sound pretty much the same as well.

BTW: I can't do a perfect A/B comparison as I cannot get the volume exactly equal between the TT and SACD player in my system.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They are just very dynamic. I'm hearing rumors from several sources these were altered in the final stages of SACD production.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow, that is exactly the opposite of what Tone Audio said about the top end. For myself, the top end just seems smooth and organic.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I recently got all 4 on SACD. What should I be listening for that would be evidence of this alteration? Top end is different from the Blue Note 45 RPM LP versions? I only have them on SACD. Secrets are no fun, please share what you heard about 'em and from who!

7. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Rumors from several sources? Please. Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket. Thank you.

8. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have 4 out of the first batch (still having trouble getting the newer ones as Amazon etc aren't stocking them at the moment) and all I can say is on my system they are wonderfully open sounding.

9. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

I also have the first four and agree with the quoted statement.

10. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I have only tried the Blue Train - It seems to me to be more vivid in the OPPO 980 player than in the Sony XA9000ES where it does sound a bit soft(unusual really), other than that I have not paid too much attention to it.
    I rather like the 45 RPM and the McMaster ultimate BT CD (which is bold in the Sony player) the Classics 33 rpm snugged in between. I have not touched the other 45 rpms or SACDs!@# yet- maybe soon

11. I've been listening to Art Blakey's "Moanin'", Dexter Gordon's "Dexter Calling" and John Coltrane's "Blue Train" for the past several weeks on SACD...no complaints on the sound for any of these!

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Unless Tone Audio was referring to the LPs only then I think we have an honest disagreement.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

No, Tone Audio was talking about the SACDs. I think that it is a couple of pages back on this thread.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Okay but I have to disagree strongly with him then. The dynamic range on the SACD series is definitely a problem.

I have heard from two reliable sources that the level was cut by 6db on these to make them sound louder. It certainly sounds that way to my ears as well but I have no independent way to corroborate this except the knowledge that my sources have been right in the past.

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I should add that I post this with great seriousness as I have the utmost respect for Steve's mastering work. I just am not convinced we are hearing all of his work on these SACDs.

16. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

can you be more specific about your sources???........... 6db louder???

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Maybe I don't understand.. but you say they were cut by 6db to make them sound louder? Wouldn't that make them sound "less" loud?

I noticed that I did have to crank the volume on these to make them as loud as I would normally listen.

I have two of the SACDs on 45 rpm vinyl as well, and the 45 rpm vinyl (Capucian Swing and Blue Train) sounds much different and much better than the SACDs.

I still think the SACDs sound good, but I do feel that they sound "different" from what I would normally expect from Steve.

So maybe Lee is on to something?

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sorry, I can't be more specific about my sources. I good investigator never reveals his sources.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Perhaps Steve can reply with some thoughts on whether the finished products sounds like what he mastered for SACD...

20. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Oh. Wow! I am speechless... Hopefully, we'll have some sort of comment from out host on that. Major deal-breaker for me, at 30$ each + shipping to Canada.

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

:tsk: Why lead us on like that? First you ask if we think an error was made in the authoring, then you tell us that a 6 dB cut was ordered, but seemingly after SH had completed his work. After all that, you refuse to reveal your sources. As the Gort said, secrets are no fun. If you have information that can't be made public about these SACD's you shouldn't be posting it. If it can be made public, then please do so instead of making us guess what, if anything, went wrong in your opinion with these discs.

22. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

45 rpm Lee Way - what a piece of work, clear vivid sound from blackness, a great BN rendition.

There is some tonal difference with the SACD (sacd not as good) -but I am not going to compare what I consider apples and oranges.

23. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Your comment with regard to dynamic range is interesting.

So far I've got Lee Way and Dexter Calling, which I've been listening to -- with great pleasure -- on my Linn Ikemi. On my Linn system, in order to even begin to get the music pumping, I need to turn the preamp up to 38 (60 is the max). 39 to 44 seems to be the sweet spot.

So while I've not yet heard the SACD layers, if anything, my experience suggests to me that the dynamic range on these discs is very wide, indeed. For example, even on an MFSL, DCC or AF disc, typically the sweet spot on my system is in the low-to-mid-30's on the preamp.

I wonder if the rumors from your "sources" have given you a *psychological* bias about these discs...

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy these for price & service. I am scared of Caiman.

25. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds charges full list, but they are the most professional and reliable, IMO...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.