I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

I know that FYE gets a lot of scorn. And for the vast majority of them its deserved. But there are few that deserve some praise.

There is one location in particular on Long Island that never ceases to amaze me with what they get in used. Tonight I picked up UK EMI 1st pressing CDs of Queen's "News of the World," "The Game," "Hot Space," and "II" in mint condition for a grand total of $29. "II" and the "The Game" even had the original British price stickers on the jewel cases.

This is not an isolated incident. Over the years, I have built half of my hi-rez and gold CD collection from this location and a few others in Virginia for very reasonable prices and in good condition to boot.

I really hope they stay in business.

2. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

"FYE for the Black Queen"!

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I find it's just not worth the time and effort anymore for the one disc I may come home with...

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Which locations in Virginia? The one I've been to here in Richmond is pretty hit or miss, although a couple of weeks ago I found a copy of Art Pepper's 9 disk "Complete Vanguard Sessions" there in mint condition for $24!

If they're nearby, I'd be happy to check out some other locations.

L.

5. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I've done alright at FYE too. The location I go to isn't near you but the fact that you've done poorly in Richmond does not surprise me.

Ed

6. japes

I grew up in Virginia and when I lived there I shopped quite regularly at Planet Music in Virginia Beach and the Wherehouse locations in Hampton and Norfolk. All three of these stores have been owned by FYE for some time and they still retain much of their selection (although not quite as good as the old days).

Since I have been back to visit, they have officially become FYE stores. The Virginia Beach location is as big as a Tower Records, so it is definitely worth a stop if you're in the area. Last time I was there they had a DCC Elton Johns Greatest Hits, a DCC Frank Sinatra Duets, and a MFSL Jefferson Airplane "Crown of Creation" among other things.

I've found some nice items at the FYE at Patrick Henry Mall in Newport News but not nearly as much as the other three.

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Usually a pretty good used selection at the FYE on Woodward just north of Detroit in Berkley.

Used to be an old Harmony House location.

8. mrtownshend

mrtownshend Member

Believe it or not, I scored a Columbia Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance old cd for $5, Huey Lewis, Fore for $5 & Jethro Tull Warchild for $5. That's the only time I've ever scored great sounding discs for a good price @ FYE. This is the Greenbelt, MD location. I usually get my scores at CDepot, but they've transitioned to selling vinyl & for those trying to sell your collections to them don't, they will rip you off. I used to shop at Depot a lot, but after the stunt they pulled a month ago, I'll never go again.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

One of the FYE shops near me closed up about a month ago. I found a few good things for cheap there over the years.

10. davers

davers Forum Resident

I was going to post a similar thread, as I've been really happy with both FYE stores within a 1/2 hour of my home (near Seattle). Between the good weekly deals such as "buy 2 get 1 free", my 10% member discount, and the generally inexpensive prices, I can usually get a batch of used cds for a great deal. And there's usually at least one or two desirable out of print titles to be had.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The "Buy 2 used CDs get 1 free" "buy 2 used CDs and get 25% off of everything" sales are enticing, especially when you find one that you like and then you have to find another one so that you can get that 3rd free one! I don't normally find anything too rare, but I will usually find something that I've held off buying until I could find it used. They do their homework with the pricing for the rarer ones, but they don't seem to try to move things. One FYE has had a copy of the RCA David Bowie comp "Fame and Fashion" priced at $20 for over a year.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

mike,

also went there quite often, got some msfl's one time for $7.99 each.

the one at eastwood is still open, but doesn't seem to get as good used product as southern park did.

13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Japes, glad you scored some good discs for a great price, you're very lucky...the FYE's near me haven't a clue. They charge 9.99 for lots of used titles. The 6.99 and 7.99stuff is usually garbage. I've even seen used titles going for more than brand new sealed copies of the same thing!

14. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I go to a couple of FYE's near me. At one of them I always get good used stuff. At the other one, every used CD I buy I have to return as they are totally beat up. I would throw them away if they were mine. Some stores know what to buy and others don't.

15. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Which location?

16. japes

Levittown off of the Bethpage/Hempstead Turnpike.

A former Coconuts location.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Jeez, I literally have stopped going there. No wonder I can never find a thing at that store. In fact its the worst ever IME. You must buy all the good discs before I get there. I'm dead serious, never ever do i find a single disc to buy at that location. I live 5 min away.

18. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I don't like buying used from FYE because you can't see the discs before buying them. A real pain in the *** for collecting targets because non-target versions often have the same inserts. They also sell trashed discs. A waste of time, IMO.

19. japes

They've let me inspect every disc I've ever bought. I just single out good candidates for target discs and bring them to the counter.

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I have done good w/ FYE as well...

21. I love the FYE in Levittown, ever since the used CD section started growing, it's been getting so much better. As the OP mentioned, basically Queen's entire catalog was there, in the original EMI pressings. I bought the West German pressing of Sheer Heart Attack.

So japes, I was there a couple of days before you, I'm glad that you were able to snag those Queen CDs before anyone else, aside from Sheer Heart Attack, 'cause I got that one. It had the original stickers too.

22. davers

davers Forum Resident

I do have to agree with post #14...one of the two FYE stores I frequent has some serious quality control issues in the used cd purchasing department. At least they've been cool about taking them back when they're too beat up.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

same here.

24. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

There ar many things wrong about FYE,including charging above list price,so you get to pay the rent in a mall. But,in another thread,I recently posted about selling stuff to my local FYE and visiting another where the selection of clearance,used,all kinds of crap, was amazing. That store,in the Bershire Mall,Reading,Pa. is nearby one of the original factory outlet centers in the US. Examples of used stuff,after 20% discount: Bill Evans' Secret Sessions box-$24;Riverside Records Story-$14(strange that there were more than a few other jazz boxes controlled by Concord Music);an import Latin Jazz 5CD box,with EMI holdings-$3. And a few months ago,they had a 10CD(music could have fitted on 6) "import" Monk box with European public domain material-$4. And a similar Sinatra box has been in many of their strores for $15. Many non-rock used items are placed in the regular sections,to fill out the bins,so look for the red spines for used values.DVD boxes sometimes go pretty low-MadMen-$20(new) and they have tons of budget DVDs that take up at least a 12 ft. run. Used product from stores go to a central Trans World warehouse after a while for redistribution,where mdse. seems to end up in one of these super outlet stores.

25. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I walked into an FYE in downtown Philly some months ago that had MFSL UDI's of several Pink Floyds, but they were $45-100 (for The Wall) Even the one that recently closed around here had a Disco Evita CD for $100. I always scour the bins for a bargain or something I don't have, but they're savvy. And closing stores.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.