Recommend Boston Record Stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Adam9, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй. Thread Starter

I'm going to Boston and staying in Cambridge next week. Are there any good CD/vinyl stores I should check out?

Thanks.

2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Used record stores are getting scarcer all the time. I hope the ones I'm gonna mention are all still there!

• Looney Tunes, on Boylston near Mass Ave (Berklee neighborhood) in Boston. Nice jazz and rock selection.
    • Stereo Jack's, on Mass Ave, Cambridge, between Harvard and Porter Square. Mostly jazz and blues. Slightly overpriced, IMO.
    • In Your Ear - on Commonwealth Ave, Boston, near BU and The Paradise club. Mostly rock.
    • Nuggets - on Commonwealth Ave in Kenmore Square, Boston.
    • Planet Records, JFK Street in Harvard Square, Cambridge
    • Cheapo Records, on Mass Ave in Central Square, Cambridge.
    • Newbury Comics, many locations, may have some vinyl.

Happy hunting!

3. Adam9

Rednoise, thanks very much for the detailed rundown. :cheers:

The last time I was in your fair city, about 20 years ago, I actually did find a great CD in a used store - Beethoven's Third by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music on the L'Oiseau-Lyre label. It remains one of my favourite discs!

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

From what I know...

• Looney Tunes, Cheapo and Nuggets - still around, I haven't been either store for years.
    • In Your Ear - mostly 70's rock
    • Planet and Stereo Jacks - no idea

I frequently go into Newbury's because they have suburban locations. It is an excellent chain (an oxymoron I know) for new/used CD's and DVD's. They have a large vinyl selection at their flagship store on Newbury Street, but it is new only. They are not selling used vinyl at this time, but the store itself is a great take along with the rest of Newbury Street, especially on a Friday or Saturday night when the whether holds. Enjoy!

5. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

Newbury Comics on Newbury St. has the best new vinyl section around here. Harvard Square store not as good, IMHO. Watch the prices, though. MoFi and AcousTech sell for more than list AND shipping by mail but most stuff is pretty reasonable. Saw the Ricki Lee Jones ORG Label " POP, Pop" for $59.00. Ordered myself from AS for $39.00. Tough economy, I guess.

Bill

Bill

6. Adam9

Thanks, cdash99! :cheers:

7. Adam9

And wmspence:cheers:!

8. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Planet is fantastic if it is still there. I think there was also one near Fenway.

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

The one in Kenmore burnt down :(

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This exact question was asked and answered at length a couple of years ago on this board. Someone should look that thread up.

11. jmeltzer

jmeltzer New Member

All mentioned stores are still there, but Looney Tunes closed its (low traffic) Cambridge branch.

For the avant-music collector:
    Weirdo Records, 844 Massachusetts Ave, Central Square, Cambridge
    Twisted Village, 12 Eliot Street, Harvard Square, Cambridge

and, if you're into the crazy cat lady unsorted-junk type of used book/record store:
    Diskovery, 569 Washington Street, Brighton

12. jmeltzer

jmeltzer New Member

Looney Tunes - also more classical LPs than anywhere in the area
    Cheapo - 50s and other oldies
    Newbury Comics - cheapest new CDs in the city; good selection of used CDs at Back Bay, Alewife and Harvard branches; expensive new vinyl

13. Adam9

I did do a search but couldn't find anything using "boston" and "cambridge".

Thanks to all who posted.:wave:

14. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Bump for this, as I'm going to be in Boston tomorrow, for a conference. Looks like Newbury Comics will be right along my path (I-90), but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Would need a parking garage / lot as I'm driving.

Thanks!

15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I haven't been out shopping for records for a couple of years, but I'm aware that things have changed since then. One of my favorite places for used stuff, Looney Tunes, suddenly vacated the space near Berklee College that they had occupied for decades. Supposedly they moved to 16 Harvard Avenue in Allston. I haven't been out there, but I just tried to look it up via Google, and I find no mention of them newer than a year ago. I fear they may be gone for good.

Newbury Comics is still there, but they seem to be putting more energy into clothes than music these days.

Pickin's are getting slim.

16. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Can anyone suggest MA record stores near Plum Island?

I have these three short listed as they are all approximately 25 miles away:
    Newbury Comics, Northshore Mall, 210 Andover Street, Peabody, MA 01960
    Record Exchange, 256 Washington Street, Salem, MA 01970
    Mystery Train Records, 21 Main Street, Gloucester, MA 01930

Are there any closer or more worthwhile in that area?

Thanks in advance, especially for any answers today or tomorrow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.