Beatles "Abbey Road" .... Vinyl Pressing Comparisons & Black Triangle CD, etc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Probably from the same master, (16 bit?) as the '87 CD, which sounds pretty good.

2. Tone

On the page that we're discussing here........
    www.beatledrops.com/abbey_road ...... the fourth example on the left hand coumum is an Apple -6/-4 stamper example. Later edition Blue Box with the solid rim text.

There is also an 80s Purple Capitol example in the right hand column. Don't have a 90s Apple/Capitol clip up.

3. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I'd guess. Maybe with a little special sauce during mastering - that may account for it sounding a little different than the CD to some. I couldn't personally say as I've not listened to it. These LPs seem to be out there in great abundance at a low cost - like $16 or so.

4. Tone

Thanks for the info. on this edition. I'm going to try and post an example from it.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They never are!

6. JPwalker

JPwalker Forum Resident

Really? I guess the prices fluctuate. I found a couple on ebay like a year ago in EX+ for a reasonable price, nary a mark on the vinyl. They seemed to be plentiful. You just have to stay away from the 'Misaligned apple' ones, they carry a higher price because the misprint makes it a collectible.

7. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

The difference isn't as gigantic as some claim—it's not a $350 difference, let's put it that way—but I don't think the '87 is in the same league. The BT has a better midrange that lets the vocals really shine, and the side two tracks on the '87 have a bass cut that the BT doesn't have. The extra bass is great! Overall, the BT sparkles in a way that the '87 doesn't.

This album sounds pretty good on just about anything, though. The vinyl, especially that UK first pressing, is the warmest sounding presentation, but I don't mind hearing this one on CD, because it's such a tricky record, as others have noted, to press right on vinyl.

8. Tone

Very good assesment of the Black Triangle.

I agree that it sounds better than the 87 CD, but still over-rated in comparison IMO. Nice, but I wouldn't pay big money for one. The bass is full, but still a tad muddy, as is the case on a many of the Japanese Stereo issues...... A good needledrop of the original UK vinyl would still sound better, as you can hear from these clips. The bass on those is really nice, and less compressed than most of the other issues.

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I see! I didn't know what the numbers were next to the clips. The 95 edition has numbers unlike any of those - surely sourced from a digital master. The record still sounds great to me, with very little if any sibilance problems and just terrifficly low noise. Music sounds great.

10. Tone

Nice....... I'll try and get some clips from that edition up!

11. I'd like a clip from so called "fake" Black Triangle CD to be included too.

12. Tone

:righton: ..... Good suggestion. Anyone have any of those? ..... Let me know.

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Anthony,

how did you adjust the pre-emphasis on the black triangle CD?

14. Tone

"WaveEmph was used to apply digital emphasis to the files to reverse the pre-emphasis on them".

15. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I have one of those also, with a apple on a cream backround. I found mine at Best Buy with all the new LPs. On the back cover there is no mention of being cut from a digital source, and it's not DMM like the digital LPs are. On the dead wax there is a "mastered at Capitol" stamp. My copy sounds real good.

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Sorry, if I misinterpret your post but I just want to be clear that DMM mastering has nothing to do with digital, it can be pure analog.

17. Tone

Yikes!

18. fisheric

fisheric New Member

Abbey Road was the first beatles albums that I got into back in highschool. It was in his old collection of records that he never played anymore. The B side of Abbey Road really blew my mind. More so than Sgt. Pepper. And I personally think that Paul's bass playing on AB side B is the most musical and complex of his Beatle's career.

I do. I can send you a flac of tracks that you want. Im not gonna edit them though. Im not very familiar with audio editing. Shoot me a PM.

19. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

I have 4 differents ones

1st French pressing, 1st German pressing, Dutch pressing coming from the Blue Box (78) and the MFSL

The Dutch and the MFSL are my 2 favourites, MFSL souns a littble bit brighter compared to the Dutch one but the vynil is very quiet

20. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Japanese Apple
    EAS 80560
    1970s Issue

On the beatledrops page this is the best sounding Abbey Rd to my ears as far as all of the vinyl that on there. It's got a lot of extra balls or bottom end and yet it still has the clarity that I would be wanting to hear from any recording whether it's on vinyl or CD.

21. Tone

I prefer the original UK, but I'll give it a second listen.

22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The digital LPs from '87 onwards were DMM, there's a blurb on the back cover stating it. This new press of Abbey Road is not DMM.

Speaking of Abbey

[​IMG]

Anyhoo...I'm still looking for a German DMM white album.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yuck. I hate that show.

24. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Hey, does anybody know who cut the first lacquers for Abbey Road? Was it George Peckham ("Porky")?

25. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Tone, do you happen to have clips of the early JPN AP-8815 LP pressing?

I've read a lot of praise for that one over the years here (I recall that Joe Koz, for one, has said it's the best of his many different pressings) -- plus it has the super-quiet Japanese vinyl that's a big time plus for this album because it has so many soft passages.

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.