Which of Fleetwood Mac "Then Play On" is better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alex-57, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to purchase CD Fleetwood Mac "Then Play On". Ebay offers 2 variants: 1988 by Reprise Record and 2007 Beat Goes On Record (remastered). Which one is better? Or maybe there are some other ones?
    Thanks for help.
    Alex.

2. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

I had no idea that this was rememstered. I never cared for the sound quality of the original CD.

3. alex-57

Some remastered CD sounds good...

4. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

BGO version, anyone? Does anyone have this one?

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Are you talking vinyl, here? AFAIK there's only the '90 Reprise CD.

Now here's a title I wish Steve could get to remaster...

6. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I can't find any record of a BGO "remaster" of Then Play On. Not on Amazon and not on the BGO site.
    The only Fleetwood Mac album on BGO is English Rose.
    So, I respectfully submit that either we're being led down the garden path, or we're talking boot.

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Never heard of a BGO of this album:cheers:

8. alex-57

Sorry, it's my mistake.I mixed up with "English Rose".

9. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

There are two versions of Then Play On, according to Wikipedia. One has the Danny Kirwan songs "One Sunny Day" and "Without You", the other has Peter Green's "Oh Well". Also a slightly longer "Underway" appears on one.

I figure the nod goes to "Oh Well", but maybe there are other differences.

10. alex-57

Thanks for interesting information:righton:

11. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Glad to be of service!

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The original 14 track UK album - as it was released - has never been on any legitimate CD unfortunately. The original is usually found on early UK and German pressings.

In the US, Reprise, for the original US vinyl - cut one Kirwan song off each side and separated each track with the standard silence band - which in the eyes of many fans of this album, ruined its feel and flow. When 'Oh Well' became an FM radio hit Reprise went further and chopped another song off the album and re-arranged the songs completely! The standard Warner Bros. CD is the butchered sequencing with Oh Well added. They also used the copy tape sent to the US as it has noticeable hiss in some parts, especially 'Oh Well', which caused complaining with the anti-hiss crowd as evidenced by customer reviews on places like Amazon. Frankly, I don't think the W/B CD sounds that bad - given what sources they used. The original LPs are somewhat compressed and quiet due to original running length (still sounds great though).

I had to make my own CD-R to replicate the album best I could. I added the missing Kirwan tracks from 'The Original Fleetwood Mac' CD - although they are different takes.

The original 7 track per side UK LP is one of the very best albums of tht period and really really deserves a proper re-release!

13. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yeah, very surprising...great album, but the standard CD release is very much lacking in dynamics.

Been watching for a Japanese SHM or something but no dice.

14. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

This is the number one album on my wantlist for a well done good sounding re-release.
    An original UK pressing on vinyl in near mint condition have become very hard to find and are often very expensive nowadays. I really miss my old copy that I sold many years ago.

Here are a couple of pictures I took then they played in Stockholm after the release of this great album (sorry for the bad quality):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tuck1977 likes this.
  15. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Totally agree. A great album in its original form and, like Sgt Pepper, no bands between the tracks on the vinyl. I am amazed that it's never been released on CD in its original form, as the band intended.

Worthy of the deluxe treatment.

16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Lazurus - thank you for the wonderful pics!! Danny looks great standing in front of that wall of amps!

I would love to hear this album as it was intended/originally released, too. I have the WB cd and it's all I know!

17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

WOW! Those aren't bad quality at all. Superb! I think I can speak for a lot of people I know - who would love to have seen the great Peter Green Mac live!

18. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Following with interest :)

19. AWESOME pictures!!!

20. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Never heard the original of this album but surely Rhino could put something together for us.

Great pics by the way.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Great pix. I crave photos of the early Mac and backline the way a junkie craves his fix.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nov 2 1969 ?

23. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Great photos!:righton:

24. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

It was a long time ago but from what I remember it was in Mars or April 1970.
    I also saw Led Zeppelin at the same place (Stockholms Konserthus) only a couple of months before the Fleetwood Mac concert.

25. WickedUncleWndr

WickedUncleWndr New Member

If those photos (great BTW!) were taken 1970 in Stockholm then it would've been 4/1/70. Peter Green had already decided to leave the band, and "Munich" had just happened ten days or so prior. The wide angle shot with four of the members screams "a serious rock band". So many what could've beens with this band.

There's a great version of "Got a Good Mind To Give Up Living" from this concert on Youtube (better than 1/70 New Orleans, imo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ytgYYZuLs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.