Woodstock Directors Cut for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by howlinrock, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

No ,But I saw a boot leg in a store with a listing of some songs.Don't Think it was
    audio only,could be B&W ,Don't know,I do know a lot of stuff is out there
    The excellent VH1(MTV) Documentary has something in it saying there are something like
    60 songs in the vault
    There at least 2 more Dead songs,Creedence doing Bad Moon Rising,at least two Band and Sly songs
    Theres around Two Incredible string Band songs,at least 2 from Blood sweet and Tears
    songs,at least 3 more CSN songs ect......and these I seen ,

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

In his autobiography Keef states that their manager didn't allow KHB to be filmed unless he got 2000$ in advance.

3. PNeski@aol.com

Gee maybe thats right,wish I bought that boot leg,maybe its audio only
    I didn't think there was any CSNY yet theres something on Neils Blue Ray set

I didn't know how good Keef was,till today when I heard them for the first time!

4. PNeski@aol.com

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/music0_woodstock.html

geat list of whole concert

Upcoming 6 cds set include many artists and songs ,some seen on other woodstock editions
    I guess music rights are cheaper for audio only,plus has stuff unrecorded on Film
    I didn't see any Hardly band,plenty of Country Joe and no Band(rights)
    but a lot of stuff not on Original records or cd box set

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I've mention this somewhere around here before, but Keef Hartley had plenty of good players in his group; Miller Anderson on guitar and vocals (later solo, Marc Bolan) , Gary Thain on bass (later Uriah Heep) and Junior Kerr (Bob Marley with a name "Marvin") on guitar.

They did a couple of great albums, Halfbreed, The Time is Near and Overdog are my favourites, but the word is that they were tons of better live.
    And that's why i'm quite pissed off that Keef didn't give his permission for the forthcomin 6 CD Woodstock box.

6. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

EVERY Blu-Ray has a 16:9 aspect ratio. There is no longer such thing as Full Screen 4:3 vs "Anamorphic" 16:9 as on DVD.

DVD was a format that had to fit regular and widescreen TVs. Blu-ray is made for HDTVs, that are all widescreen.

All Blu-ray releases of classic movies shot in the Academy ratio have black bars at the left and the right of the screen. One good news is that Academy ratio can now be fully preserved. It is not 1.33:1, as often assumed, but 1.37:1, which is slightly wider. On SD, they had to crop from each side to make it fit on a 4:3 screen.

Check the difference with captures from the DVD and Blu-ray from "The Adventures of Robin Hood":

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview2/robinhood.htm

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I wonder if some Academy Ratio films might end up getting displayed even a bit wider than 1.37-1 ? Many were shot some wider, especially in the 20's and 30's. Screen sizes at theatres back then were all over the place. Many operators showed films wider, when possible, if their screen was wider and a bit narrower if their screen was some narrow. It took awhile for theatres to get mostly standardized to Academy Ratio.....then 1953 happened.

8. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Academy ratio IS 1.37:1. That's its definition.

They were shot narrower. Silent movies were shot at 1.33:1. Some early talkies were even more like a square, at 1.20:1 or something like that, for instance early German movies such as Fritz Lang's "M" or "The Testament of Dr Mabuse". It was because of some space at the left being used for the optical soundtrack, without any change otherwise. After a few months/years of tinkering, they had the idea of using black bars at the top and the bottom of the frame, then zooming out at the projector stage to restore the previous aspect ratio. I don't know why they didn't go back to the original aspect ratio (1.33:1) and used 1.37:1 (named afterwards Academy ratio) instead, which was slightly different.

The "Pinocchio" reissue on Blu-ray by Disney is 1.33:1, by the way. In theaters at the release time, it was 1.37:1. As Blu-ray is natively widescreen and black pillars (or the Disney View) are present during the feature, I don't know if it they zoomed a little (why?) or simply went full frame, if it was drawn at 1.33:1.

There were a few examples of really wider screenings, such as Abel Gance's "Napoleon", but they were mostly experiments (in that particular case, it was close to Cinerama).

I agree that theater showings were far from being standardized and that it forced directors of photography not to frame too tightly to fit the various conditions of screenings. But 35mm film has some standards (4-Perf per frame, for instance) and nobody can toy too much with that, as long as panamophic lenses are not involved...

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Anyone? :)

10. Rachael Bee

What I was getting at is that, if or when a substantial number of Academy Ratio stuff does hit BD, would some studios inch a bit wider than the standard to reduce the "dreaded" (by many) side space occupied by black bears.... :laugh: Disney did do 1.33-1 but it proably could of been 1.41-1 if they so desired.

I just wonder if we'll see some films opened up a few percent...? Disney went down a few percent.

P.S. - I've watched M several times. I didn't even notice that it was ex-tree narrow or has it been opened up a wee bit? .....or is that impractiable? You sound quite knowledgeable about this!

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What's this about the Stones, and who is KHB?

12. Rachael Bee

The Stones are Rolling Bollos and KHB is Keef Hartley Band....which I have not listened to for so long....I'd nearly forgotten about.

13. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Could you please give a little on baby talk? I know technical discussions can get on the arid side but their point is to clarify (surprise) technical points and go back to regular discussion as soon as possible.

Disney could have legitimely gone 1.37:1 on the "Pinocchio" Blu-ray. 1.37:1 was the standard aspect ratio at the time, the Academy ratio as it is known.

For some reason, they went 1.33:1, the same as the DVD or full screen TV. My guess is that most of animation in the '30s and '40s was done for commodity at 1.33:1. It may have been easier for the animators to stick to a 4/3 aspect ratio. Then a narrow band of the image was cut on top and on bottom of the frame for theatre showings. So, I hope (but I have no certainty) that we just get all the picture. It would have been stupid to get wider pillars on the side because they had another (wrong) reason to use 1.33:1.

Disney has actually shown their will to stick to the O.A.R. They even try something special to convince people it's the way to go. The American release for the Blu-ray of "Pinocchio" has an option called "Disney View". Instead of black pillars, it puts on the sides some drawings inspired by the movie to fill the entire screen. They change during the presentation but they aren't supposed to be distracting. I haven't been able to test the feature as it is missing from the European version. Actually, in Europe, it's already a given to be faithful to the O.A.R. We never had, for instance, the full screen/wide screen nonsense for DVDs.

I don't think so. You might get stuff like "Seinfeld" reframed for HDTV but you won't get old movies slightly reframed to fill more of a widescreen. Flaws will look bigger and people are able to notice it's a compromise aspect ratio. In the NTSC days, movies were reframed in pan and scan because the definition was so low. Today, they accept that their 16:9 TV has black pillars for an Academy ratio movie, just as they accept it has black bars for Cinemascope.

If you want captures from the DVDs, check there, it's quite obvious:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/m.htm

You'd also notice that on a computer player. But it's hidden on a regular TV and even on most of HDTVs because of the activation on the TV of overscan. If you can deactivate it on an HDTV (I could on mine), you get back all the information on all sides of the screen. You notice that credits (and some inserts) for old movies are generally put inside a black box, then framing opens up for the rest of the time. On a Warner or Paramount release supposed to be 1.85:1 on the jacket, the entire screen is filled by the picture because they open the frame a little compared to what a proper 1.85:1 matte would do. Sony or Universal show true 1.85:1 and you get half an inch black bars at the bottom and the top.

Because of TV overscan on a 1.33:1 or 1.37:1 movie, the picture is already a little wider. I can only advice to deactivate it if it's there because it eats part of the frame on a movie and it adds another treatment to the picture (a slight upscaling by the TV) while you could get perfect pixel-for-pixel picture when your player outputs at 1080p.

14. Jamison1955

Jamison1955 Forum Resident

What happened to the bouncing ball on I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag?

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I thought I saw it. I'll have to play it again.

16. Jamison1955

Jamison1955 Forum Resident

I thought I saw it. I'll have to play it again.

Your right , it's there. Mental facility was kinda low when I got to that part of the film. :)

17. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Well, here we go again (in regards to the various Woodstock reissues and the ensuing confusion they seem to cause). The weekly ad for Target in today's paper lists the reissue of the Woodstock soundtrack on Tuesday as having an exclusive third disc of bonus material. Wonder what will be on it? I know this probably belongs in the Music Section but since Woodstock has been discussed so much here I just thought I'd bring it up. Not to be confused with the six CD set which will be released August 18.

It also lists the DVD version (the one with the tambourine) for $39.99.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I was just at the store. They were out of the tambourine (SD DVD), but had 2 in stock of the Blu-ray for $49.99.

I didn't go there to check out the Woodstock stock though, since I already have the UK version.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

John changed his name to Joy? Were there any other changes?

20. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Bert Sommer - Jennifer
    Tim Hardin - Misty Roses
    Melanie - Beautiful People
    Arlo guthrie - Wheel Of Fortune
    Joan Baez - Hickory Wind
    Santana - Persuasion
    Mountain - Theme From An Inaginary Western
    Creedence - Green River
    Janis Joplin - Ball And Chain
    Jefferson Airplane - Sombody To Love & White Rabbit
    CSN - Marrakesh Express
    Sha Na Na - Get A Job
    Jimi Hendrix - Isabella

aprox 50 minutes

21. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

Is a UK BD region-free?

22. The Big Guy

Thanks a lot!

23. The Big Guy

Actually I guess this thing is already out. I just saw the ad and assumed it was being released Tuesday.

24. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Yes, well the Woodstock BD is if that is what you are asking.

25. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

Help requested: If I have the Amazon USA Blu-Ray set (very cool), should I also get the Target set on sale this week? Or do I have all of the bonus content on the Blu?
    Sorry, but I am rather confused. Thanks in avance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.