I'm very confused...("Dedicated to the One I Love" mono question) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnsmusicbox, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnsmusicbox

johnsmusicbox Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, there I was trying to rip a good sounding copy of the Mamas & the Papas' "Dedicated to the One I Love" single. I own two copies of it, neither in great condition. They are both mono US Dunhill 45-D-4077. Neither a reissue or anything, and the labels are marked the same.

So, I rip them and am listening back to the b-side, 'Free Advice' on both of them to see which sounds better, when I realize... uhh, these are two totally different mono mixes!? And not like, "oh, this might possibly be a little different...", I mean, they are different.

Besides the instruments being mixed at different volumes, one has a loud-as-can-be harmony from Denny on one line that the other is completely lacking. And, although, upon investigating further, the mono LP of 'Deliver' has this additional Denny harmony and the stereo LP does not, my 'Dedicated' 45 without the extra harmony is NOT a stereo fold-down, as it still has the added female harmony two lines later that only appears on the mono mixes!?!

How can this be? The only physical difference I could find on the 45 was with the matrix number. On the 'Free Advice' side, one has just 01057 etched after the runout groove, the other has 01057-2. Similarly, the 'Dedicated' side has 00999-RE on the one, and 00999-RE-1 on the other. Other than that, they are marked exactly the same.

Sooo, what gives? Anybody ever hear of anything like this?

2. johnsmusicbox

Okay, upon further investigation, it seems there are at least three different mixes of "Free Advice" in existence...

The most noticeable difference has to do with the 4th-to-last and 2nd-
    to-last lines of the song (both lines are "Everyone has had a loved
    one"). In those lines, depending on the mix, you might hear in either
    just basically female vocals, just male, or both.

Common stereo LP version: 4th-to-last line - female. 2nd-to last line
    - male

Mono LP version (also found on some copies of the "Dedicated" 45): 4th-
    to-last - both. 2nd-to-last - female

"Dedicated" 45 alternate version: 4th-to-last - female. 2nd-to-last -
    both

Although the labels on the two 45's that I own have the same markings (with slightly different font and formatting), there is a difference in the matrix numbers: The 45 with the Mono LP mix has for the matrix number, on the "Dedicated" and "Free Advice" sides respectively, "00999-RE" and "01057", while the 45 with the alternate 45-only mix has "00999-RE-1" and "01057-2".

Also, the 45 with the alt 45-only mix has some additional markings which are not on the other, shown below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Interesting. So there are multiple versions of this song. Which one do you prefer?

4. johnsmusicbox

I prefer them both! :D

It's interesting not that there are multiple versions of the song, but that there are two different versions on a 45 with the same label markings.

Also, regarding the Mamas and Papas, it's not like it is with other groups (Nirvana, or perhaps the Beatles, being prime examples) where you can find just a ton of non-LP material from them... alternate takes, unreleased studio tracks, live shows...

There is very little available from the M&P's from the original line-up's time together (if you really search, you can find five studio albums, one non-LP A-side, one additional studio recording that was recorded for a TV special, one alternate take of an album track, an 8-song live album of what's known as by far their worst show, a handful of TV show appearances with live vocals, 3 slightly different mixes of LP tracks on Steve's CD given to him by John Phillips, a few short snippets of recording session outtakes on a long out-of-print rare LP box set, and then things like this, slightly different mixes on some of the mono 45's), so us fans are generally very grateful for every scrap that we can find! :righton:

5. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Here's a sample of the mono single version of Dedicated to the One I Love:[/URL]

6. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Those are great pictures!
    I could hang them on my wall.

7. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

8. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It's a file I received from someone who did a needledrop. I think it's pretty good all things considered!

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Just a reminder - please do not send uploads of the full version of songs. Due to copyrights uploads must be kept to 1 minute or less.
    thanks!

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I agree...nice job with those photos!

11. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

12. johnsmusicbox

Lol, thanks, they were a pain in the *** to get!

13. johnsmusicbox

Hmm, just read this on Wikipedia...

"Some recuts with altered content have a suffix of "-RE" at the end of the inscribed matrix number, but this does not necessarily mean that the non-"RE" edition was issued to the public."

So, both of the singles I have appear to be recuts (I assume that 00999-RE was the first recut and 00999-RE-1 was a second recut). The question now is, was the original 00999 ever issued to the public? Does anyone own a wlp of this?

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I can tell. SERIOUS hi-rez stuff there. :D

15. johnsmusicbox

Oddly enough, I didn't use any high-end equipment or special lenses, just a fairly cheap digital camera and a lot of patience! :)

16. dunhillrecords

dunhillrecords Member

Chris,

The matrix numbers on my wlp are as follows:

Side A - 00999-RE / Δ65306
    Side B - D-01057 - RE / Δ65307

17. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

I'm a little confused by the this thread. I'd like to seek out the alternate version of this song but can't figure how to tell the difference between the standard and the alternate. What is the easiest way to tell? Also, this 7" was released in Canada and the U.K. and would certainly sound better than a U.S. pressing. Can anyone confirm if perhaps either the Canadian or U.K. pressings of this single contain the alternate mix?

18. dunhillrecords

dunhillrecords Member

I own three copies of the single and here's what I discovered when doing my own comparison:

White Label Promo
    Side A - 00999-RE / Δ65306
    Side B - D-01057-RE / Δ65307
    Same as mono LP version: 4th-to-last - both. 2nd-to-last - female

Stock Copy #1
    Side A - 00999-RE
    Side B - 01057
    Same as mono LP version: 4th-to-last - both. 2nd-to-last - female

Stock Copy #2
    Side A - 00999-RE-2 CP LW (both the "C" and "P" are individually encircled and machine stamped; LW is hand-etched)
    Side B - 01057-1 LW (LW is hand-etched)
    45 alternate version: 4th-to-last - female. 2nd-to-last - both

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

OK I happen to have a Dunhill and a UK RCA!

My Dunhill has RE -2 on the A side and what appears to be RE 7 on the B side.

Here are the two versions Dunhill then UK RCA

Good for ten downloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.