Led Zep IV Target on Ebay. Holy crap!

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by crispynz1, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Oh Boy.:yikes: Wonder what an OBI would add?

4. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

A fool and his money...

5. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I wouldn't go that far. What would you say if this was a rookie mickey mantle card? It is only made of cardboad but worth many thousands.

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Sheesh. I've always figured I could find one of these for less than the going rate on the 35DP-4 Pink Floyd WYWH. Maybe not. :cry:

7. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I'll just keep my west german (blue I think) one and forget about this one :eek:

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yeah, add the gold 38XP OBI strip and Japanese lyric sheet, and it could be $2000.

Three people placed bids of $1000 or more. Wowee.

I paid considerably less for my mint copy a couple of years ago. :D

9. crispynz1

Might be some dodgy bidding involved.

A nil feedback bidder withdrew a bid of $7,645.20 but also placed bids of up to $764.52.

Stinks a bit that!

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

..and my 10 dollar US pressed CD sounds exactly the same :sigh:

I don't get this label design fetishism, I can see paying a lot for a 35DP4 WYWH because it's a unique (and great sounding) mastering, but not a Target :wtf:

11. KeithH

Since the eBay auction link will not be valid forever, I decided to post a picture of the auction page for posterity.

Attached Files:

12. crispynz1

He is a very passionate Target collector.

13. crispynz1

Actually, this seems to be an honest mistake :agree:.

14. KeithH

Of course I agree that the price for the Zeppelin disc is too high, but some people have to have the very rare first issue of one of the best rock albums of all time.

15. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I would think as collectors items, there's no comparison between this and the 35DP 'Wish You Were Here'. The Zeppelin cd is much, much scarcer. I'll bet many Zeppelin and Target collectors don't even know the Japan IV Target exists.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Personally I don't get this one.

No rare mastering and just a target for $1300 ? I get targets collectibility, but I dont get why this one should be so high no matter how rare a target it is.

wow!

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Tell me about it. I can tell you if I had one of these I would sell it so fast and my fav band is Zeppelin. The only thing that would make me hesitate would be the thought that it might go up in price over time!

Eddie

18. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I don't get why people pay millions of dollars for a painting that looks like a 3 year old made it but they do. Does it mean they are stupid and I am smart, not at all...

19. KeithH

That's a good point -- a common mastering, but an extremely rare disc.

I hate to say it, but there is also the crowd who believes that the earliest pressing beats later pressings with the same mastering. It won't be long before someone says that the Japanese target pressed by CBS/Sony beats the Japanese non-target pressed by JVC or any common U.S. pressing.

One more point. The target I'm sure has the same mastering as later pressings, but what about channel reversal? Some pressings have channels reversed, right? Does anyone know if the Japanese target has the channels reversed? I've never bothered to get a handle on which pressings do and do not have the channels reversed.

20. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Thanks. I've got this page bookmarked now to go along with the sealed Japan WYWH 35DP page. I like to show them to family and friends and watch their jaws hit the floor. Of course, the first thing they always say is, "Wow! Do YOU have this one!?!!? :laugh:

21. KeithH

:laugh: I told my wife tonight about the Zeppelin auction. She knows that I have the disc. Surprisingly, she didn't push me to sell my copy. ;)

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Keith -

I don't think so. The reason is that the gold obi itself is not that rare since it appears that it was issued with three different discs (the red target, the teal target and the silver face Japan for US pressing) and, as you know, sticky obis tended to survive the years. This is one of those cases where the target disc is rarer than the obi.

Not aware of a Japanese lyric sheet issued with the 38xp discs.

23. KeithH

Of course you are right concerning the 38XP OBI strip. I was being a bit sarcastic, though I could still see its inclusion adding to the frenzy. ;)

24. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Imagine what could have happened had someone posted a link to the auction while it was under way. :)

:wave:

25. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

You're welcome ... :D

I think that's fantastic and nope I have zero regrets selling mine.
    Now, if it turns out this copy could be made to sound better than the LP,
    I'd be seriously annoyed! :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.