Led Zep IV Target on Ebay. Holy crap!

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by crispynz1, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:D

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I remember posting somewhere on this Forum when I ended up paying more for this disc in an auction than I had ever paid for any CD or record in my life. I guess I didn't overpay after all. I need to forward that link to my wife

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:laugh: Where are all the accusers, I only hear the sound of crickets?

5. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I thought the 3rd test didn't start until the 30th July? :confused:

6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

:laugh:

7. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

So am I, but that is way too much for me. There are two variations of the red face Zep, with different catalog numbers. The one that just sold is the one I don't have, but it appears I'll have to settle for having only one variation for the time being. I'll live.

Maybe.

:D

8. KeithH

Face, it Ralph. It's killing you. :D

9. houston

houston Forum Resident

I'm content knowing I paid $9 last week for my Zepplin IV Japan-victor pressing, non-target...you can keep your pretty design :wave::goodie:

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Right - same mastering.

11. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I've seen this target disc on three occasions (twice in Osaka and once in Sendai) in the past eighteen months. It's not that rare.

12. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

with your luck who knows...

13. KeithH

And you bought them all and sold them for how much?

Maybe it's available in Japan, though I still don't see it being offered with any regularity by eBay sellers from Japan. In any case, it is a rare disc when compared to most targets, including the West German targets of "IV".

14. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I bought them and sent them back to England. The eBay sellers located here in Japan represent a tiny fraction (less that 1%) of the thousands of second-hand shops across the country. In addition, many record store owners are not aware of what is perceived to be of value in the west.

Here's an example, I was visiting with friends last week in Hokkaido and I stopped by a small shopping arcade. There was a tiny record shop there mainly selling old Kabuki and Enka collections but also some western stuff. On one of the shelves, the owner had placed a paper sleeve edition of Meddle for 10,000 yen. In the the same store, there was a mint copy of the 38XB-2 Synchronicity which he had priced at 500 yen. Admittedly, it wasn't the ten track version but I'm sure you get the point. :)

You're right of course, it is rare (in terms of availability) compared to most other targets but that would only be the case if one is looking solely on eBay.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Fumi -

That's like saying "It's not that rare. I saw it in stores in Provo, Utah and in Burlington, North Carolina in the past 18 months." Most of us (myself included, and I live in Tokyo) will never visit a CD store in Sendai, or Hokkaido, in our lifetimes. For the rest of us, that is one rare CD.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But people in Japan still have access to the Internet and could sell it for big bucks, so I can see his point. No, the CD may not turn up in stores you or I frequent, but I think Fumi's point is that they're out there and not super-dee-duper scarce...

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think my sealed CP35-3016 w/obi, was a better deal than this Zep disc. :D

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Agree. :righton:

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Been watching it since its been listed, interesting to see where its gonna go.

21. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

I had a look at the copy for sale on ebay at the moment when I dropped into the store a couple of weeks ago - it's pretty much as described, would be unlikely to find better if that's what you're after.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

could this one break the $2,000 mark? i think the last one went for about 1,400....

23. I assume this target disc has the same mastering as other first IV CD pressings in which case the high price is strictly for the uncommon target label design? Very interesting...

-s1m0n-

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

the last copy sold for $1,300 and some change I think.

Simon: yes, just for the pressing. amazing to watch really.......

25. DaveVak

DaveVak Member

ok, i've seen this "target" term used all over but i still do not know what it means. So, can anyone explain what does it mean when people refer to target cd and why is it such a desired item ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.