Michael Jackson and the Doobie Brothers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by waldo, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waldo

waldo Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

First time I have heard of this..
    Will have to go back and listen again, but I thought it was McDonald singing the backgrounds as well as lead.

3. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

Wow - would love to know if this is true. Can't believe this info. has not surfaced before.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Anything can happen in this music business. It's possible.

5. jetfan

jetfan Senior Member

Looked again at liner notes on Minute By Minute, no mention of MJ. He could be an uncredited background singer, which is not an uncommon thing.

6. waldo

i only hear Michael McDonald singing all the parts.. maybe Michael Jackson was joking for the camera when he said this? i really don't think it's true at all.

7. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

omg omg omg omg omg

8. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think Al Dunbar had a better chance at singing on Minute by Minute.

9. I don't want to say its impossible but highly unlikely.

10. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

I think I'll withhold judgement until somebody like Michael McDonald or Patrick Simmons weighs in with eye-witness testimony. I'm not saying it isn't true, but you'd think that with superstars like the Doobies and MJ, it would have been noted by somebody sometime in the three decades since. Why keep it secret? Michael's guest appearances have always been well-documented, whether with old Motown acquaintances like Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder or mainstream rock acts like Paul McCartney and Dave Mason.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The odds are pretty low. But, he does sing the parts well.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Oh come on! :rolleyes:

I know my Doobies history quite well and I seriously doubt this ever happened.

13. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

interesting!!

i'm anxious to hear a reply from the doobie brother camp on this

it would be a really bizarre thing for him to make up, maybe he was just joshing around with liz.

14. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I just listened to the three songs and I can't hear any evidence that he's singing backup vocals. They certainly didn't showcase his contributions if it's true!

15. waldo

RIGHT! :righton:

even Joe King Carrasco!

Since his death, there’s been such a deluge of tributes to Michael Jackson that you’d have thought by now there isn’t a minute of his career that hasn’t been pored over, documented and otherwise scrutinised.

There is one episode, though, that because it is in so many respects unlikely and at the same time wholly obscure that it has so far escaped the attention of even the most vigilant commentators, and it of all people involves an old friend of mine, Tex-Mex rock’n’roll hellion, Joe “King” Carrasco.

It’s 1982 and Joe is in London, as part of a whistle-stop European tour to promote his new MCA album, Synapse Gap. We meet at his Bayswater hotel, and the garrulous Texan is soon in full conversational swing, talking excitedly about the new record.

“Guess who I’ve got on the album, man, singing backing ****en vocals?”

I didn’t have a clue. Bob Dylan? Ozzy Osbourne?

“Michael-****en-Jackson, man!” Carrasco fairly shrieks.

I’m sure there were people in Birmingham, let alone Bayswater, who will have heard the dull thud of my jaw hitting the floor of Joe’s hotel room. But it’s all true, because Joe is now telling me all about this baffling alliance and how the world’s biggest pop star ended up singing backing on “Don’t Let A Woman (Make A Fool Out Of You)”.

“Oh, man, it was ****en wild,” Carrasco says, laughing hysterically. “He was in the studio next door to where we were recording. And I was just thinking, ‘Goddammmmm, here’s the best ****en singer in the world, man, I gotta get him on my record.’ And I did, man. I ****en did. I just made friends with him.”

And what was he like?

“He’s a nice guy. He’s surrounded by all these bodyguards who keep him away from the real world. But one day, man, I saw him just sitting out in this office, staring into space. I just said, ‘Hey, Mike, why dontcha come sing on my record, man?’ And I just kinda made off with him. When his managers got back and found him in the studio with us, they flipped. But the track was down, man. It was too late!”

[​IMG]

Michael McDonald is a great soul singer, he didn't need MJ on back up!

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Going to give Steve's remaster another careful listen. I would love to hear what the Doobies/Ted Templeman recall from this session.

18. waldo

19. BRush

BRush Senior Member

This doesn't seem too far fetched. In 1980 Michael Jackson sang back up on a Dave Mason single "Save Me".

20. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

Regardless - this should be pretty easy for even the laziest journalist to find out - simply ask Michael McDonald.....

21. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

22. waldo

23. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

I always thought that was Fred Berry.

24. I highly doubt it.

25. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

40 minute version of 'shake your body'???? good grief!

well, at least there's a MJ/doobies connection.....anxious to hear this debunked or substantiated!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.