Alternate/Fantasy MONKEES albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VeeFan64, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Incredible work, Michelle!!!!:righton: Thanks for keeping all of us entertained with your amazing talents while we wait for the next batch of Monkees reissues.:agree: By the way, I would also like to pre-order your Monkees "releases!";)

2. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Hi all,

Wow! I'm really gratified that you seem to like my Alternate Reality Monkees series! :)

The back cover of Peter's solo LP has just been completed...

As I wrote before, in the alternate reality the Monkees didn't make the movie. They made a series of solo LPs instead.

Peter's was hard to compile due to the dearth of Tork tracks out there. But, after thinking about how much effort he put into getting "Lady's Baby" down on tape, I figured that he might want to feature that song prominently - namely by giving it the entire second side of the album!

This out-of-the-box thinking also gave the LP its title!

I posted the front cover on a different thread some time ago, but here it is with the newly-created back cover.

The image of Peter in the middle of a road to nowhere seemed quite apt for the back cover. (Bad Pun Time: If I used this for the front cover, the LP could be called "A Tork In The Road"... )

OK, you were warned it was a bad pun..!

Also, I'm still desperately searching for a high-res shot of Nez in his Nudie (as seen in the Monkees Present CD booklet). Doesn't anyone have a copy to trade? (A finished mini-LP of the Nez sleeve is the reward!)

Torkmented Genius (COSP-1004)
    1. Seeger’s Theme
    2. Tear The Top Right Off My Head
    3. Come On In
    4. Merry Go Round
    5. Can You Dig It
    6. I Prithee (Do Not Ask For Love)
    Side 2:
    1. Lady’s Baby - Version 1
    2. Lady’s Baby - Version 2
    3. Lady’s Baby - Version 3
    4. Lady’s Baby - Version 4
    5. Lady’s Baby - Version 5
    5. Lady’s Baby - Version 6

Attached Files:

3. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Great stuff Michelle!!!
    My question is where are you getting these mind-blowing photos??? The one of Peter on 'his' back cover, the profile shot of Nez with the Nudie suit on his back cover. I love odd photos like these!!

4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The profile of Mike was from the Monkees' 1969 tour program. "Tork in the Road" was my own Photoshop creation.

BTW, your avatar is good old-fashioned nightmare fuel! ;) (The young/old Monkee amalgamations I've seen as avatars on these boards are pretty wild. The Micky one looks kind of like my *mom* circa the mid-80's...!)

5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

IT'S BACK.

I'm still waiting for menopausal Davy, Mr. S.! :goodie:

6. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I know people on this forum, like me, favor Mr. Nesmith on just about anything (he's the male Susanne Hoffs) but I suspect the Micky album might have made the biggest splash. Coolest cover, just beating out Davy.

7. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I wasn't able to really find images that went together smoothly, but here's a shot of Old Davy, with Young Davy hair and clothes.

Attached Files:

8. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy Thread Starter

:laugh:

9. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

How old ya say that Manchester Midget Greenie was?

10. jokernam

jokernam New Member

Rodney?

11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

:laughup:That is just too much! :biglaugh:

12. mr.schneider

That's exactly what I thought! They had a slight resemblence to one another in the 1960's, but if Jones kept his 60's hair he'd look just exactly like Rodney Bingenheimer! GAH!
    :bigeek:

13. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Mr. Schneider... I'm sure your current avatar is going to give me really bad dreams tonight...! :eek:

(For some reason I keep thinking that it resembles Mr. Greenjeans from the old Captain Kangaroo show!)

14. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Here's some Fantasy LP Monkees fun we can all partake off..

"Reconsidering The Monkees " (aka: The Ultimate single disc Monkees Retrospective)

The Goal: A single disc package that encompasses all of the major Monkee hits that could also double as a chronological primer to show a casual music fan in 2009 why The Monkees (at least as a project, if not just the four individuals) is worthy of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame consideration.

Rule #1: Has to be restricted to one disc only (80 minutes total) total run time of this package: 79:50, 31 tracks

Rule #2: Has to include all U.S. Singles that charted at least #15 or better in Billboard

Rule # 3 Between 1966 -1996, The Monkees released eleven (11) studio albums of original material not counting countless greatest hits packages, Rhino’s Missing Links series, live albums, etc.. This compilation must contain a track from at least eight (8) of these albums. An alternate mix or single mix is allowed to count towards the total as long as some variation of the track appeared on said LP.

(Special thanks to Mr. Schneider for the inspiration for track #25.)

Here's my line-up, including working notes/liners!

1: (Theme from) The Monkees (Tommy Boyce/ Bobby Hart) (Micky: lead & backing vox) Rhino always insists that every “hits” package includes the Monkees theme (per Boyce & Hart, the tune was inspired by the DC5’s “Catch Us If You Can”) Unlike all other Rhino’s previous hits packages, I opted for the TV soundtrack version as opposed to the different, longer recording from the debut LP. Two main reasons: much shorter length helps in regards to single disc length constraints, and more importantly hearing this version instantly transports anyone reared on the NBC broadcasts , 1970 Sat. Morning/Syndication viewings, & the 1986 MTV airings right in front of the giant TV set in their mind. Many Monkee lovers want to paint a picture of Musical Supervisor Don Kirshner as the devil himself, but history has shown that he was spot on in bringing the songwriting & production talents of Boyce & Hart, Jeff Barry, Neil Diamond, and so many others to jump start the musical side of The Monkees project. Like it or not, with Donnie not there at the helm, this musical collection 40 plus years later, most likely doesn’t exist.

2: Last Train To Clarksville (Boyce/Hart) (Micky: lead vox) This single release predated the first eppy of the tv show by a few weeks and was already starting to generate some chart action before the series goosed it to #1. Bobby Hart had claimed that the track was really a subtle protest about a solider on his way to fight in Viet Nam, but they made a point to keep that lyrical intent on the downside in regards to the record buying public at that time. Boyce & Hart’s performing band (The Candy Store Prophets) are the core group at hand for most of the tracks on the Monkees debut LP. Clarksville features a great Louie Shelton guitar lick, and Micky (as always) delivers a fab “ready for radio” lead vocal. I opted for the more radio friendly mono mix of the one song from the 1st LP that Papa Nez claims to love.

3: I Wanna Be Free (Boyce/Hart) (Davy: Lead vox) Keeping with “The American Beatles” blueprint, B&H put Davy in front of the mic for what they called the debut LP’s “Yesterday”, which I think it is… love the ultra baroque arrangement here ! The first (and probably the best) of the many “Davy ballads” spread out thru the groups’ run. Even die-hard Monkee fans tend to give Davy a fair amount of grief and although in the final analysis he may be the weakest (missing) link musically, there really can be no denying how important his presence was to the overall Monkees concept especially in regards to the tv series and the merchandising. And no less authority than David Letterman’s Top Ten List have voted him the world’s best tambourine player!

4: Papa Gene’s Blues : (Mike Nesmith) (Mike: Lead & back vox, Peter: Guitar & backing vox, Micky: Harmony & backing vox, Davy: backing vox) With the need for a surplus of material to showcase on the tv series “romps” Mike Nesmith was allowed to conduct his own sessions (under the watchful eye of the powers that be) almost from the get go of The Monkees project. This version of Mike’s original composition includes an originally unreleased (alternate stereo mix) backing vocal track with all four monkees. The released version has only Mike on lead & Micky on (wonderful) harmonies. Peter is one of five credited guitarists on this track including James Burton & Glen Campbell (!) Peter’s 4th guitar on this & “Sweet Young Thing” would make him the first Monkee to perform in an instrumental capacity on a Monkees record. How cool that Mike was trying to include the other guys in his Monkee productions from Day One.

5: I’m A Believer (Neil Diamond) (Micky: Lead & Backing vox, Davy & Peter: backing vox.) Jeff Barry enters the Monkees production circle with an out & out bona fide classic. I choose the mono mix that pored thru various AM radios as this song spent multiple weeks at #1 late 1966/early 1967. Note: Jeff Barry also included Mike at the vocal session for this track, but per Jeff he was disruptive and sent home! Note 2: Neil Diamond’s acoustic guitar work remained on the finished master.

6: When Love Comes Knocking At Your Door (Neil Sedaka / Carol Bayer) (Davy: Lead vox) This brilliant sunny slice of Buddy Holly-esque pop (with Neil on keyboards) was taken from the last (Nov. of 1966) sessions of what would turn out to be the “More Of The Monkees” LP. Surprisingly enough, this track would never be featured on the tv series.. a real shame.

7: (I’m Not Your) Steppin Stone (Boyce/Hart) (Micky: lead vox) Although beaten to the vinyl punch by a quite possibly superior version by Paul Revere & The Raiders, this mono mix charted at #20 as the b-side to “I’m A Believer”. Note: The guys would utilize a lengthy garage punk version of this tune as the finale to most of their concert performances as a self contained band from late 1966 til the fall of 1968.

8: The Kind Of Girl I Could Love (Nesmith/Roger Atkins) (Mike: Lead & Backing vox, Steel guitar. Micky, Davy & Peter: backing vox) Although withheld until the group’s 2nd LP, this tracking session actually took place in June of 1966, Mike’s first time in the producer’s chair. I chose an originally unissued version that contains a (great) fairly busy backing vocal arrangement from the entire group. This backing is eventually scrapped for another take still featuring all the guys. Note 1: Per Andrew Sandoval’s sessionography, Mike is credited with the song’s prominent steel guitar overdub, marking his first instrumental appearance on a Monkees record. Note 2: Co-Writer Roger Atkins also co-wrote the Animals’ classic: “It’s My Life”.

9: Mary, Mary (Nesmith) (Micky: Lead & backing vox, Peter: Guitar) A great Nez tune & production, originally covered by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (on their “East-West” LP) Featuring ace studio cats Hal Blaine on Drums & Glen Campbell on lead guitar.

10: A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You. (Diamond) (Davy : Lead vox) This Jeff Barry production with author Neil audible on backing vox, was the last release of the Don Kirshner “regime”. Don had agreed to release this single with a group generated b-side to appease both the four boys along with Bert & Bob from Raybert Productions. Then low & behold, Don issued the single in Canada with another Jeff Barry production (the early version of She Hangs Out) as the flipside. The single was withdrawn & then quickly reissued, Don was fired, and the Monkees began their short run as a functioning studio group. Little Bit.. would peak at #2 on Billboard.

11: All Of Your Toys (Bill Martin) (Micky: drums, Lead & backing vox. Mike: Electric 12 string, backing vox. Peter: Harpsichord, backing vox. Davy: Tambourine, backing vox.) With hand picked producer Chip Douglas (along with brilliant engineer Hank Cicalo) and Nesmith comrade / Monkee tv stand-in John London on bass, the guys embarked on their first full studio sessions as a band in mid Jan. of 1967. Due to this song not being published thru Screen Gems, “Toys..” didn’t see the light of day until the Missing Links reissues of the mid-1980s. A major error on the part of Monkees management to not fight harder to secure the rights to this puppy.. the stereo remix included here shows off a fantastic radio friendly Beatlesque arrangement that would’ve gone along way in boosting the guys’ confidence as a band if this song comes out as an “A” side in 1967.

12: The Girl I Knew Somewhere (Nesmith) (Micky: drums, Lead & backing vox. Mike: Electric & Acoustic 12 string, backing vox. Peter: Harpsichord, backing vox.) Major error #2, this fantastic track being reduced to serving as a “B” side only to the reissued “Little Bit Me..” single. Then “The Girl..” was also removed from the Headquarters final LP track listing at the last moment. With John London again on bass & double tracked tambourine (Davy on a vacation during these sessions) this wonderful Nez composition managed one week at #39 on Billboard. The only US top 40 showing to feature Dolenz on the drums. Stereo mix included here.

13: Shades Of Gray (Barry Mann / Cynthia Weil) (Peter: Lead & backing vox, piano. Davy: Lead vox, Tambourine & Maracas, Micky: drums, backing vox. Mike: Pedal Steel Guitar) Often called the single from the single-less HQ LP.. a great vocal arrangement from Producer Chip Douglas featuring Peter in a real good light.. Per Tork, he wrote the piano into while Nez came up with the horn & cello parts.

14: Randy Scouse Git (Micky Dolenz) (Micky: Lead vox, drums, tympani, wood block. Mike: electric 12 string. Peter: backing vox, piano, organ. Davy: backing vox.) This great Dolenz original from HQ, was actually used as a single (issued as “Alternate Title”) in the UK, peaking at #2. This fab stream of consciousness track depicting Mickster’s recent P.R. trip to London, features some amazing anchoring bass work by producer Chip Douglas. A really adventurous composition from a former child actor turned fledgling Rock-n-Roller.

15: You Just May Be The One (Nesmith) (Mike: Lead Vox, electric 12 string. Peter: Double tracked bass guitar, backing vox. Micky: drums, harmony & backing vox. Davy: Tambourine, backing vox.) Somewhere in my archives, I have a 1967 air check from (Radio giant) WKHJ, Los Angeles announcing this fantastic Nez tune as the new Monkees single from their forthcoming new LP (HQ) At the 11th hour “the powers that be” chickened out in regards to releasing a Monkees single that did not feature Micky or Davy as the lead vocalist on the “A” side, in fact they declined to pull an American single from Headquarters at all. BIG mistake. This studio track maybe the only one (until the 1996 Justus sessions) to feature ONLY the four Monkees handling all the instro duties. It had been a staple of their concert dates since late 1966, so they had a real good handle on the arrangement. In fact for 2 minutes flat, they’re as good as any mid-60’s pop rock band. I’ve included the punchy mono mix that KHJ played on the air that day.

16: For Pete’s Sake (Peter Tork / Joseph Richards) (Peter: Electric guitar, backing vox. Micky: Lead & backing vocals, Drums. Mike: Organ, 12 string guitar. Davy: backing vox, tambourine.) Peter’s first writing credit on a Monkees Lp. Great thumper, an edited version would serve as the closing theme of the tv series and then the entire syndicated run of the show.

17: Pleasant Valley Sunday (Carol King / Gerry Goffin) (Mike: Lead guitar, backing vox. Micky: Lead Vox, possible acoustic guitar. Peter: Piano, backing vox. Davy: backing vox) A fantastic production from Chip Douglas who also provides one half of the track’s rhythm section with the amazing Eddie Hoh (The Mommas & ThePappas, Modern Folk Quartet) on drums. This fantastic track finds the guys leaving the HQ Mode (mostly Micky stepping away from the studio drum kit) to a “mixed band” mode that would spell the Pisces, Aquarious, Capricorn, & Jones Ltd. Album. Pleasant Valley featuring all four guys vocally, would peak on the charts at #3 during the Summer Of Love. I used the Listen To The Band box set “kitchen sink finale” mix for this probably my fave of all The Monker’s A-Sides.

18: The Door Into Summer (Bill Martin / Chip Douglas) (Mike: Lead vox & guitar, Peter: Keyboards. Micky: Harmony vox & drums.) One of just many great PAC&J Lp tracks. Great Nez vocal, and Micky (he’s also the skins man on “Cuddly Toy” on PAC&J) making his final studio appearance on the drums, chimes in with some magnificent harmonies. In fact two drummers appear on this cut as Eddie Hoh joins the fun with an additional busier rhythm track from the 2nd verse on. Bill Martin finally gets some publishing coin on a Monkees record after the “All Of Your Toys” snafu.

19: Words (Boyce/Hart) {Micky: lead vox. Peter: lead vox, organ. Mike: Electric tremolo guitar, percussion. Davy: backing vox, percussion.) Another PAC&J standout & the “B” side to PVS, charting on it’s own at a peak # of 11. Great vocal interplay here between Micky & Peter. This mono mix showcases the smokin’ rhythm section of producer Chip Douglas & drummer Eddie Hoh.

20: Daily Nightly (Nesmith) (Micky : Lead vox, Moog Synthesizer. Mike: Guitar. Peter: Organ.) Classic mid-60s psychedelic music! Mike’s poem about L.A.’s Pandora’s Box nightclub burning embellished with Micky’s new toy: The Moog. If not the first, at least one of the earliest pop recordings to feature this unique instrument, and just another example of the amazing musical diversity found with the grooves of PAC&J.

21: Riu Chiu (traditional ) (Micky, Davy, Mike, Peter : vocals) A studio version of this Spanish Christmas carol performed a cappella appeared on the Missing Links series in the early 90s, but that version had Chip Douglas spelling an MIA Davy. This version featuring all four group members was recorded on the TV soundstage for inclusion on the group’s X-Mas tv episode. Very few tracks in the Monkees cannon feature all four in a vocal capacity, but this one does and it’s a peak moment . Peter Tork has recently called this version out as one of his fave Monkee moments, easy to hear why.

22: Daydream Believer (John Stewart) (Davy: Lead & backing vox. Micky: backing harmony vox. Peter: Piano. Mike: Guitar) On the top of the charts during Christmas of 1967, it’s the guys final of three chart toppers. One of Davy’s finest vocal moments, coupled with Peter’s iconic piano lick (which wasn’t part of the original song demo) In keeping with Rhino’s practice of putting a “nugget” or two on each release to make sure the hard core collector buys their 700th version of Clarksville, I’ve opted to go with Andrew Sandoval’s 2007 vinyl remix here in it’s digital debut. This version has more of a HQ vibe mixed down without any of the brass or strings, just the four guys plus producer Chip Douglas on bass & Eddie Hoh on drums. Some additional vocals before the take breaks down as well. I can see you opening your wallet already!

23: Tapioca Tundra (Nesmith) (Mike: Vocals, guitar, whistling, percussion) More of Nez’s eclectic stand alone poetry set to a unique blend of Latin tinged Tex Mex guitar pop. A mono version of this charted at #34 (highest US singles ranking for any of the guy’s original material) as the B-Side to “Valleri” in 1968. I’ve included the stereo mix as it appeared on The Birds, The Bees, and The Monkees 1968 long player.

24: Valleri (Boyce/Hart) (Davy: Lead Vox. Micky: backing vox.) Due to union regulations regarding production credits that the Monkees & music supervisor Lester Sill agreed to in late 1967, there are actually two completely different versions of this tune in the studio library. Boyce & Hart had recorded an ace version dripping with “Satisfaction” tinged guitar fuzz and some blistering flamenco style lead work from Louie Shelton back in August of 1966. This version was mixed and appeared in two first season episodes and bootleg recordings of this tv broadcast version actually charted regionally in both Chicago & Florida! When it came for Lester Sill to return to the track in regards to a single release in late 1967, he had to ask Boyce & Hart to return to the studio to produce a new version that this time could carry a “PRODUCED BY THE MONKEES” tag though Davy’s lead vocal was the only group member contribution to the new version. The new recording is close in spirit, (Louie Shelton is back on lead guitar) but is toned down a bit and also augmented with a prominent and in my opinion, unnecessary brass section. The new version still managed a strong #3 peak on Billboard in the spring of 1968. That being said, I’ve opted to include the earlier, more rockin’ version which also includes Micky on backing vocals. If you want to hear the charting version, just buy any of the other compilations out there, Rhino Records says “thank you”!

25: Porpoise Song (King/Goffin) (Micky: lead vox. Davy: backing vox.) The title track gem from one of the most misunderstood films of the past 40 plus years! An amazing, beautiful slice of psychedelia that really holds up. Keeping an eye on both single disc time constraints & also baiting the collector a bit, I’ve chosen the original Colgems 2:31 promo 45 version here.

26: Circle Sky (Nesmith) (Mike: Lead vox, guitar. Peter: bass. Micky: drums. Davy: organ, percussion) One of the highlights of the HEAD film, Mike subbed a studio version (which none of the other guys appeared on) on the original soundtrack LP in 1968.. It’s been noted that Peter never truly forgave him for that. This Bo Diddley style romp (taped in Salt Lake City) is a roaring testament that these guys if nothing else, had the makings of a primo garage band. Micky has called this his best recorded performance as a drummer.

27: Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again? (Tork) (Peter: Lead & backing vox, lead guitar. Davy: Backing vox.) Peter (the Brian Jones of The Monkees; his instrumental credits on the groups’ sessions run the gamut from banjo to bass, clavinet to celeste ) shines here with one of his two composer credits on the HEAD soundtrack. His lead guitar work here is supplemented by Buffalo Springfield pals Steve Stills (additional guitar) & Dewey Martin (drums) This track would mark Tork’s last lead vocal & songwriting contribution to the Monkees project until 1987.

28. You And I (David Jones /Bill Chadwick) (Davy: Lead & Backing vox) From The Tork-less Instant Replay LP comes this great rocking collaboration from Davy & Monkees confidante/ TV series stand-in/soundman/tunesmith Bill Chadwick. The lyrics seem to suggest the pending dive in popularity the Monkees project was to experience once HEAD bombed at the box office, and the NBC series wasn’t renewed for a 3rd season. Coming closest to the Monkees version of Eric Clapton appearing on The White Album, was the fact that Jones & Chadwick were able to enlist (another Buffalo Springfield alumni) Neil Young to provide the searing lead guitar heard here.

29: Listen To The Band (Nesmith) (Mike: Lead Vocals, guitar) Originally heard by the public in April of 1969 as the last full group performance (taped in Dec. of 1968) of the four Monkees during their initial run as the climax to their NBC Special: 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee. The studio version Michael tracked with a dream team of Nashville session players available to him in the summer of 1968. The track (a stereo mix of the single edit is included here) was issued as the b-side to Davy’s “Someday Man” in the spring of 1969. Where as the A-Side flattered at #81, deejay’s began to spin the B-Side sending this fantastic Nesmith composition to #61. A longer version would appear on the LP “Monkees Present”, Michaels’ last long player with the group. Nez would go on reshaping & recording his vision of unique country rock throughout most of the 1970’s before becoming one of the forefathers of the modern music video.

30: That Was Then, This Is Now (Vance Brescia) (Micky: lead vox. Peter: backing vox.) Down to only two members, Micky & Davy reunited with producer Jeff Barry to record the very bubble gummy LP “Changes” with the hopes that the new material could be inserted into the Saturday Morning screenings of the TV Series and renew the group’s fortunes. Changes came & went without much of a trace (it’s takes a LOT of bashing from the fan base, but it’s an OK collection of simple pop tunes) and the Monkees were legally history by the end of 1970. In 1986, MTV began showing the 58 episodes as part of their daily programming, simultaneously an American promoter had convinced all but Michael to reunite for a Summer tour honoring the 20 year Anniversary since the show had first appeared on NBC. With the MTV airings causing much more interest than ever anticipated, Arista records ( who had taken over the rights to The Monkees music) clamored for new material to include with a 1986 greatest hits package. Unfortunately only Micky agreed to the deal immediately, with Peter coerced at the last minute to add some backing vocals. The duo worked on three tracks produced by Michael Lloyd but it was this number written by the leader of New York City Garage Band revivalists The Mosquitos that landed the guys back on the Billboard charts, ranking as high as #20 in the summer of 1986. Due to his beef with Arista, Davy wouldn’t even allow his name on the single’s picture sleeve. When all three Monkees singed an album deal with Rhino records for a new 12 song disc called “Pool It!” in 1987, they again disappointed their core fanbase by not appearing on each others tracks in even a backing vocal capacity, and with the exception of one guitar credit for Peter all the instrumentation was handled by session players ala the “Kirshner days”. By this time MTV had stopped promoting the series reruns and none of the singles from this release broke any higher that #87.

31: You And I (Dolenz / Jones) (Davy: Lead vox., percussion, additional guitar. Micky: drums, harmony vox. Mike: Electric 12 string guitar, backing vox. Peter: bass, backing vox.) Rhino Records secured all the Rights to the Monkees recording & film legacy from Raybert productions in the early 1990s and began to lay the ground work for a 30th Anniversary celebration. Surprisingly enough Michael Nesmith was a fully willing participant this time around (though Mike had made on-stage cameos on both the 1986 & 1989 tours) This full group reunion would include a Disney channel documentary, a short British Concert tour, an ABC network special, (essentially a new one hour episode of the tv series written & directed by Nez) and maybe most importantly a new 12 song Monkees disc with NO outside contributions in regards to session musicians or songwriters. I’d like to tell you that this album: “Justus” was a commercial & artistic smash on par with “Headquarters” & “Pisces..” but the record basically died on the vine, not even charting on Billboard’s top 200. Nesmith would bail out again before both the US leg of the “Justus” tour and also before a proposed theatrical film (per Nesmith’s script notes, Dwight Yoakum was set to play Elvis Presley.. still hiding out in a trailer park!) could get in front of the cameras. Looking back on Justus, the guys would have been better suited to solicit some outside songwriting contributions.. both Bobby Hart & Chip Douglas were waiting for their phones to ring! Also many of the tracks were almost self consciously heavy, almost they wanted us to know that they know who Stone Temple Pilots are. That being said, this version of “You and I” (a completely different song from the 1968 track) is a real keeper. It was originally composed by Micky & Davy for the 1975 Dolenz,Jones,Boyce, & Hart project (Google it gang) but the 1996 version is the winner. With Nez’s electric 12 string at the fore and some super savvy bass work by Peter, Davy & Micky’s vocals take us right back in front of that giant TV set in our minds, circa 1966.. And isn’t that where your Monkee memories belong when it’s all said and done?

---

Alright, who's comp is next??

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

No offense, but my first thought is that your requirements are too restrictive to really sell The Monkees as a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame worthy act. I'd be more interested to see compilations that take up that challenge with NO restrictions - just the compiler's thoughts on what is the strongest material in the catalogue, period.

16. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Okay, I went and made my own comp to find out how many of the rules I was whining about really would affect my choices. Here's what I found:

1) I didn't want to fill a disc - I wanted to concentrate on quality not quantity. Leave 'em wanting more.
    2) I DID end up including all the Billboard #15 or better singles, though for some weird reason, I hesitated to include "I'm a Believer" at first.
    3) I think I represented only seven of the albums instead of eight.
    4) I did break the rule of chronology, however, because I thought it would be more interesting to mix up the tracks to break preconceptions about the group.

Here's the tracklist I came up with. Feel free to start criticizing me, I opened myself up to it. :)

Last Train to Clarksville
    Ditty Diego
    Circle Sky (live version)
    Valleri (single version with cold ending)
    I'm A Believer
    Sometime In the Morning
    Words (single version)
    Pleasant Valley Sunday (single mix)
    A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You (single mix)
    All Of Your Toys
    The Kind of Girl I Could Love (Monkees backing vocals version)
    Love Is Only Sleeping
    Daily Nightly
    Porpoise Song (Theme From Head)
    Shades of Gray
    Sweet Young Thing
    (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
    Of You
    As We Go Along
    Daydream Believer
    The Girl I Knew Somewhere
    Seeger's Theme
    Nine Times Blue
    Listen to the Band

Playing time: 1 hour
    24 tracks - roughly breaks up into a period double album of six cuts per side.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul Well-Known Member

Both of the above are great CDs but Goin' Down and What Am I Doing Hangin' Round are musts!! I also would include Oh My My but that's just me!

18. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

While we're on the topic of fantasy Monkee albums, can you think of a nice mix of tracks that would go with this picture?

Try to think of songs that give the same mood as the US version of Rubber Soul. (For example, I think that "Early Morning Blues and Greens" might fit on it nicely.)

Attached Files:

19. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

No offense taken, and no criticism to give, this is a great, varied track listing!!

20. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

It KILLED me to leave off Goin' Down!! As well as Cuddly Toy, Mommy & Daddy, While I Cry, Sometime In The Morning (Mono Mix), etc. The editing process was a drag!!

That being said, I really wanted to compile a track listing that would fit on one disc. I'm intrigued to read your full one disc tracking.. it's not as easy to do (keeping down to 80 minutes or less) once you start putting your picks on paper! :)

21. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Michelle: This cover is flippin' awesome!! I'd include "Don't Call On Me" on it for sure!

22. mr.schneider

Michelle, retitle Monkee Soul to "Plastic Soul" then it fits a Beatle reference and a reference to the Monkees image! Also, I hope those are marijuana plants behind them!

23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

You sure do some great mockup covers!!! Here's my take... Ron

Side One
    Tapioca Tundra
    Cuddly Toy
    Words
    So Goes Love (Deluxe Editon version)
    Tear The Top Right Off My head
    Propinquity (I've Just Begun To Care)
    Daily Nightly

Side Two
    Pleasant Valley Sunday
    What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round
    Do Not Ask For Love (Davy vocal version)
    Can You Dig It
    Porpoise Song
    Circle Sky (Missing Links 3 version)
    Randy Scouse Git

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I actually had thought about going with "Plastic Soul", but since McCartney actually says that in the Anthology 2 version of "I'm Down", I decided against it.

"Don't Call On Me" sounds like a winner! (Although I wish there was a version without the 'atmosphere' sounds.)

How about this mix:

Side One
    1. The Girl I Knew Somewhere (Micky's vocal)
    2. Forget That Girl
    3. Nine Times Blue
    4. As We Go Along
    5. Pleasant Valley Sunday
    6. Words (Missing Links 2 Version)

Side Two
    1. Love Is Only Sleeping
    2. I'll Be Back Up On My Feet (ML2 Version)
    3. Don't Call On Me
    4. Auntie's Municipal Court (Stereo mix that sounds like the mono version)
    5. Early Morning Blues and Greens
    6. You And I

I dunno...my mix is full of slowies. Guess that's where my head is tonight. (But, ending the LP on "You And I" is a heck of kiss-off! (I can't think of another Monkees' tune that is as angry as "Run For Your Life".))

25. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I was thinking of "Rubber Monkees"..that works too,I think!:agree:Michael Boyce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.