The Beatles Remasters: Yellow Submarine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Wong, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort Thread Starter

Please use this thread to discuss any issues, impressions or anything else relating to the Yellow Submarine remaster.

Thanks.

2. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I'd just like to say, I'm looking forward to hearing the mono Yellow Submarine tracks.

I know, I've nothing to contribute...yet.

3. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Have I got it right that 'Only A Northern Song' isn't in stereo on the stereo disc as there was never a stereo mix made back then?

If so, is Yellow Submarine Songtrack the only way to get a stereo version of this song?

4. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Yes and yes.

5. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Thank you.

6. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

"Northern Song" is in mono (true mono, not a mix of the stereo tracks) on the Yellow Submarine remastered stereo disc.

And it sounds great. I prefer it much more than the stereo version found on the '87 YS CD.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It was actually fake stereo on the original YS disc. So true mono is an improvement.

The only remaster I probably won't get; I am happy with the YSS disc.

Evan

8. theanswer337

I have been playing this album since I won it from the local classic rock station. Much more low end and a fuller sound than the 87 disc. Slightly more compression, as measured with TT DR, than the 87 disc, but levels are just slightly louder. EAC maxed out at 96.8%, which was on the title track. The remaster has more clarity and much less harshness on the vocals. John's double tracked vocal on Hey Bulldog is more noticeable and distinguishable. Actually, all of the double tracked vocals have a clearer separation.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I was going to buy this today, but ended up getting Past Masters instead. I will get it eventually, and will try not to leave it until last like I did when I bought the last lot.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

After grabbing all of the remasters individually, and remembering that this particular thread had next-to-no relpies this morning, I decided to spin YELLOW SUBMARINE first in the car on the way to work. (Always a champion of the underdog!)

It all sounded really good to me, with the mono "Only A Northern Song" a standout. Even the instrumentals on "side two" sounded nice!

Harry

11. theanswer337

+1

12. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Oh, they sound better than NICE. They sound AMAZING!!!

This wonderful work and exemplary performance by the musicians who played on these track never gets enough credit.

I can understand why...as Lennon would later lament "You know, they didn't even give us a chance..."

Come on, everybody. Crank up your system and give them a listen!

You'll be glad you did!!!

13. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

The '99 “Yellow Submarine (Songtrack)” remix of “Only a Northern Song” is in stereo and is the version I usually listen to. My favorite track on Songtrack is “ It's All Too Much,” almost a tosser lost in the original lineup becomes nothing short of revelatory as a remix.

Mooserfan likes this.
  14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It would not surprise me if YS turns out the be the least sold of the remasters.

How do the George Martin incidental instrumentals sound?

15. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

They have more life than ever.

16. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Both Yellow Submarine and All You Need Is Love are slightly different on the YS than they are on Revolver/MMT. Both appear ever so slightly more dynamic on the YS album (average volume is less by ~0.5dB) and presumably the EQs are a bit different too but I can't tell.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

they always have. a most overlooked part of the catalog.

18. dlnathan

dlnathan Forum Resident

How does Only a Northern Song on YS compare with the version on Mono Masters Disc 2? I assume they're virtually the same except for some slight differences.

19. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Glad to know they ditched the fake stereo version! Was wondering about that.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Yellow sub tracks on the mono masters are in true mono now, correct? That said, these tracks on the Stereo Remaster are also in mono? or are they still fake stereo?

If so, then why buy YS remaster?

21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The Yellow Sub tracks on the mono Past Masters are previously unissued true mono mixes for an EP that never materialized. The stereo discs use the true mono mixes instead of fake stereo (because no true stereo mix exists).

22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The stereo disc has true stereo mixes of all tracks except for "Northern Song" which has the original mono mix replacing the fake stereo mix used on the previous incarnation of the record. They were all mixed in stereo except "Northern Song", which was mixed in mono and a stereo mix proved to be too problematic to accomplish so a fake stereo mix was used.

23. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Actually, most of the Beatles tracks on the stereo YS soundtrack remaster are in true stereo, not fake stereo. "Only A Northern Song" is in mono on the stereo remaster.

And it's not "mono" that's folded down from the fake stereo; it's the actual mono mix that was never commercially released. (The same thing applies to "All Together Now," "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" which appear on MONO MASTERS in which they are unique mono mixes that were also never commercially released until now. The entire original mono YS soundtrack LP was a fold-down from the stereo LP master.)

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

So, let me get this straight.

Forget about the remastered/remixed soundtrack.

Lets concentrate on the new stereo 2009 remaster.

The first 6 songs, "only a northern song" is mono. What about track 1 and 3-6. Are those stereo or fake stereo?

thanks

25. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Stereo (as I said before).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.