Robert Zemeckis To Remake Yellow Submarine (project cancelled)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bhazen, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh:

2. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

I had something else in mind. If anyone doesn't even bother to consider asking Paul or Ringo to voice their own characters, then that would be an unfortunate oversight. I'm not saying they'd do it, but it certainly would be amazing if they did.

It doesn't even matter that their voices are deeper and more matured. I've done voiceovers long enough to know that things are often pitched up if needed.

3. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I'd go for a cartoon Ashley Tisdale getting fondled by the Blue Meanies. She is saved when Miley swings from the cat-pole and knocks 'em cold. They fall into each others arms and to the strains of " All Together Now " by Vanessa Hudgens they begin to strip and get into the all together.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You know what I am thinking of? The 1978 Sgt. Pepper movie.

God, that was good.

5. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Hmmmm, maybe they could get the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton, maybe Jim Carey since George Burns is dead....

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

So's one of the Bee Gees...

7. Motion capture done in a way where it is well integrted to the film doesn't bother me (Lord of the Rings) but when it is ALL motion capture then, well, it is creepy (a la the "uncanny valley" effect mentioned0.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't have a negative view of this project due to any of the assumptions you mention. I have a negative view of it because I hate that awful mo-cap animation Zemeckis loves so much. That's the big negative here...

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

From Disney though?

Another new division, TouchStoner Films?

10. cyclebabble

cyclebabble New Member

I don't care, but then again I thought the original movie was kind of a lame cash grab for a great band that didn't need the cash.

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Yeah, I really can't sit through Yellow Submarine in its entirety. I honestly think it's garbage. Maybe Zemeckis can breathe some life into it.

12. cwon

cwon Active Member

I think I'd like to see Pixar redo Yellow Submarine if anyone.

13. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Pixar's John Lasseter is in charge of animation for Disney... something to keep in mind.

14. Well your trash is my treasure...I think it's a brilliantly animated film with witty dialogue AND like a Pixar film it appeals to many people with different levels of humor in it throughout.

If anything using the motion capture technology would subtract the life particularly if overused...

15. KimiAndRitz

KimiAndRitz Forum Resident

Nooooo!! The remakes just never stop!

Well, I agree that the only good thing to come of it would be a BD re-issue of the original.

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I disagree -- there is lots of room for expansion on both the story and the fanciful characters. We know the music will be good! And with a new surround-sound mix (or remix?) it could be a real treat!

Zemekis has a pretty good track record, so I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. (and this comes from one who normally disapproves of remakes)

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

[​IMG]
    You were saying?

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If the remake happens, I think Disney would essentially just be a largely uninvolved distributor. Zemeckis is too big to take orders from Lasseter or anyone else. He'll make this another mo-cap piece of crap all on his own... :sigh:

19. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

It will be interesting to see who they will get to perform the music. Unless Zemeckis is staunch that they get the original music and no doubt Apple will make them pay through the nose for permission to use the recordings. A more likely option is they get a newer generation of performers to do the songs. Maybe by the end, the only thing the two films will have in common is the Yellow Submarine.

20. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Personally, I think it sucks. Can't they leave well enough alone? Besides, like someone said earlier, the Fabs didn't even appear in the movie(voices). What's next? Help? Let It Be? HDN? MMT? Stop the insanity!

21. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

My biggest bjection is the style of animation in that first film is SO unique - that it feels like sacrilege to think about something else - OR - an imitation...

Heinz Edelmann (and/or his team of animators) created an entire universe when he created that look of that film... Blue Meanies... Apple Bonkers... Flying Glove... Snapping Turtle Turks... etc.

If Zemeckis wants to make a new film - he should completely eliminate those elements from the film and start from scratch. But that's my opinion.

I'll go see the thing if it ever gets made - but I have a hard time seeing how the original can be improved upon.

22. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Looks like this is closer to being realised according to the report below from Undercover News. Im still not sure from the below whether the Beatles actual recordings will be included or remakes of the songs by other artists.

23. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

They has done a deal. The deal done gone down!

2012. The year after the next installment of Pirates of the Caribbean. Yellow Sub songs: largely 1967, iirc. Pirates: original attraction debut, 1967 again iirc. I sea they're keeping these franchises afloat.

24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

As I said earlier -- at least we know the music will be good.

But, really the same thing happens every time a remake is announced. People go crazy with the emoticons and over-reactions. Remaking films is as old a tradition as Hollywood itself. Cecil B. DeMille made a remake of The Squaw Man while still in the silent era. I assume the outrage was enormous.

25. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I just hope a Beatles video box set is issued prior to this movie, so the original YS does not languish in OOP status forever. I honestly don't care if it's blu-ray, just a box set with AHDN, H!, MMT, YS, and LIB with the promo videos. That'd be fine by me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.