Record stores in Hartford/Springfield area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Andrew, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

they reopened in Hadley in the mall (near the theatres). not a lot of stock though.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Hadley anything there at all, as we say here in New England. :winkgrin:

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is a) Exile still alive, and b) any good for CDs?

4. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

:D

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Music Outlet Enfield, CT.- USED CD'S, NEW VINYL, IMPORTS
    Newbury Comics Amherst, MA.- GREAT STORE
    Mystery Train Amherst, MA.- MY FAVORITE RECORD STORE
    Intergrity N Music Wethersfield, CT- LOTS OF LP'S AND JAZZ
    Replay Records Hamden, CT.- TONS AND TONS OF GREAT LP'S
    Phoenix Records Waterbury, CT.- MESSY, BIG LP SECTION
    Dynamite Records Northampton, MA.- HAVENT BEEN IN YEARS
    Brass City Records Waterbury, CT.- OK...NOT BAD LOTS OF LP'S

I would just drive north to Amherst go to Mystery and Newbury, then go hit Music Outlet on way back down. Then go to Newbury in Manchester, then Intergrity in Wethersfield. After that drive to Replay.

There is the Trading Post in Canton and I always find Used CD's there. That's a separate trip.

6. Jerry

Not sure, it's been a while since I've been to Hamden. Good only for used cds, at only mediocre at that.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Can't find a website for them, anybody know their hours of business?

8. OH, Regarding Replay Records, they're now on Rte 10 in Hamden, CT (moved from their West Haven location) http://replayrecordsct.com/ ... As I recall, Doug (the store owner) said he worked at Festoons, but when they closed, he opened Replay in it's original West Haven, CT location. In fact, during several of my visits last year, I sold a turntable to Doug and refurbished another one for him as well.... Unfortunately, the "three cool cats" that were at his store ("Mom"-tuxedo cat, "Willie"-big tabby, and "BeeCee"-black cat) have all since passed. They were all great cats, especially "Mom" (she would always want to climb on my shoulder or sit on my lap - she just loved the attention). I sure miss them.

As for other Connecticut stores, there's Gerosa Records in Brookfield, CT (north of Danbury). They seem to have a good selection there and I always make it a point to stop in there when visiting CT (as well as Stew Leonard's farm market, just down the road in Danbury, for their chocolate chip cookies and milk).

In Waterbury, CT, there's Phoenix, but I was never impressed with them (neither is my friend - says they're still expensive on junk items, just as I remembered them). Before I was an "experienced collector", I'd end up going there, buying a "near mint" (or "near mint priced" item), only to find the same thing elsewhere in much nicer condition, most often for less(at the time, the lighting was mediocre, so the record looked nice there, but not all that great when I got it home). I was "burned" a few too many times there. OH, and one of my friends mentioned recently how they had a Beach Boys "Keeping The Summer Alive" album for $20, that you could find elsewhere for much less (but I guess because it was out of print, they had to get top dollar for it there, even if it wasn't one of their better albums)....OH, and after he mentioned that, I'd seen it turn up several times for cheap - very cheap. .....OH, Almost forgot! There's Brass City Records in Waterbury - and although their selection may not be the absolute greatest, at least I've had better luck there.

9. Jerry

Phoenix is pretty much a dump in some respects, but the folks that run it are nice. They have a $5 sale on all used cds going on right now. I ordered Steve's vinyl of Joni's Blue through them, and they were very helpful. I've encouraged them to stock more mainstream vinyl, as they're mostly metal heads in the Waterbury store. They have a small sister store in Litchfield that has a nice vinyl selection and used cds.

Brass city is hit and miss, but Walt is stocking new vinyl releases and will order anything for you. When I bought the 3 cd import of the Kinks Village Green Preservation, he threw in a free Kinks SACD sampler. Salt of the earth and knows his stuff.

Gerosa's is a great little shop, and occasionally sells used turntables. A forum member scored a nice Thorens there a short while back.

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I haven't been to Brass City in many years. I used to make a bi-annual 3 and 1/2 hour trip from NH until I got connected to the Internet. If I remember correctly, Walt used to have small concerts in a room just off of the store itself. I remember him being a really nice guy.

11. bartels76

10-9 M-Sat
    12-6 Sunday

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Stopped by the Branford store with my friend. He says the Hamden one closed so Branford is it. Can't say I was impressed - the local FYE had a much better selection of used CDs...

13. Wow, I'm lame, I not far away and haven't been there in ages. Thanks for the reminder :)

-s1m0n-

14. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Same here. Walt is a great guy and should get more business, especially nowadays.

15. Andrew

He just recently moved to a larger space nearer the food court.

16. reidc

reidc Senior Member

As has been mentioned in the past- Music Outlet in Enfield is still around.
    I visited last weekend to pick up a Classic Records title. While there I looked around at the CD's- found a few pieces I'd grab(on another day).

The place seemed busy enough(Sat afternoon). WIsh they had more vinyl!

Chris

17. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Mystery Train in Amherst, MA closed?

A friend tells me a friend told him. Does anyone know specific details of what sounds like a sadly familiar story?

18. bartels76

They moved a few blocks down but the store and selection is smaller. I was not happy.

I was there a few weeks ago.

19. Andrew

Another one bites the dust

Dynamite is no more.

20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You sure? They moved out of Thorne's, down the block and across the street a few months ago.

21. Andrew

Went there yesterday, noticed the signs that stated "For Lease Call XXX-XXXX" along with the workers inside tearing up the place. A friend who works nearby figures the higher rent did them in. To be honest, I much preferred them when they were at Thorens.

22. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Wow...I was just there last week and greatly saddened to find they are no more. The guys were kinda jerky but I used to get brand new MFSL CD's for like $15 so I dealt with it.

23. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Is mystery train still in Amherst? It was about to move last time I was there. I'm in the area and was thinking of stopping by this week.

24. R. Totale

They've moved about a half mile up the street away from the town center, into a small building set back from the main street, on the left hand side if you are heading from their original location. I was just glad to see they moved the Michael Hurley mural, even though you can't see most of it now.

25. R. Totale

That's too bad, the rents in Noho are definitely nuts but I was hoping they'd be able to pull it out. I wonder what's going to happen to the records? I've pulled at least a half a dozen $50-100 records out of their dollar bins and I know they had a backlog, I'd love to cherry pick it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.