We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River (new Richmond Fontaine)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP) Thread Starter

Just got the latest from Richmond Fontaine a few days ago called "We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River", and been listening over and over. Nice record, these guys are something special, especially Willy Vlautin. Easily one of the best of the year for me, gonna be high on the list. Big supporters at the americana.uk site (click image below for little review). Check out their more detailed review of Thirteen Cities from a couple years ago if interested, though right now this one feels like their best yet. It kind of straddles the sound of their earlier alt-country sound with the amazing story telling of their later albums. Kind of where Wilco seemed to be headed at one time (Vlautin does sound a bit like Tweedy too). Maybe toss some Calexico in the mix too.

[​IMG]

2. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Thirteen Cities is excellent. Will definitely pick this up. :thumbsup:

3. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP) Thread Starter

Yea, shame they get so little notice in their own country. But that's been the way with most Americana for the last decade or so.

New Califone record out soon, looking forward to that one, All My Friends Are Funeral Singers. So far I've only listened to the pseudo title track that has been out for awhile now as official free mp3 download at most sites, "Funeral Singers". It's simple, but vintage banjo-driven Califone, with the electrics coming on like sparkles all around Rutili to light up the fragmented lyrics about friends, and a lighthouse keeper, and fallen tree, little narcotic.... http://www.prefixmag.com/media/califone/funeral-singers-mp3/32304/

4. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

Going to see them Wednesday night. Diverse, my favourite vinyl vendor, are actually releasing the LP version of "We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River" on their own label, but it's delayed until the end of the month. Sigh.

5. I've been meaning to pick up an album by these guys for a while and might as well start with this one. I like the cover - very noir-ish, and I dig those "freeway at night" shots. Uncut, as expected, has been positively orgasmic about this album.

6. tinymontgomery

And yet it hasn't made it into their Uncut Recommends column, even though the last (non-festive) Dylan album has been resident there for months.

Still waiting for the vinyl issue, currently scheduled for the end of the month. Enjoyed the new songs played when I saw them in September though; it's a weird experience at a gig to be actively hanging on the singer's next line to hear how a story develops.

7. tinymontgomery

8. stephen@hennefer

stephen@hennefer New Member

Yeh great album, picked up on this band via Uncut.

The Fitzgerald, Post To Wire and Winnemucca are all essential.

This album made number 45, with Wilko 7, in Uncut's the end of year albums list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.