What Beatles songs would be considered Garage Rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Landis, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I never viewed the Beatles as ever doing anything close to garage rock except "She's A Woman" until one of my mates said he thought "I’m Down and their version "Money That's What I Want" as garage rock. I have heard "Money That's What I Want" became a garage rock staple the Sonics being a version I like the most but I wonder if it was because of the original Motown Song or was it the Beatles version that made it popular with garage bands?

2. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'd stop right there, personally. "I'm Down" is a lot closer to Little Richard than garage rock.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You Can't Do That comes to mind. Maybe It Won't Be Long too.

4. What about Birthday? Maybe not as the Beatles did it, but I can see someone covering it in a garage rock style.

5. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

"Don't Bother Me."

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

"I Saw Her Standing There" was in every Garage Bands repitore...........doesnt THAT make it Garage Rock??

7. Something like Hey Bulldog for example could be considered Garage Rock, right?

8. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

"I Wanna Be Your Man"

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I Want To Hold Your Hand

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As they invented every other genre of music, so too did the Beatles invent garage rock.

11. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

It was Paul, specifically, who did it. :)

12. titaniumman

titaniumman New Member

I challenge someone to define "Garage Rock" in musical terms. It is not a genre.

13. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

Right. "Garage Rock", like New Wave or post-punk, is basically a rock critic/historian term, not a style of music. It was invented as a label for all those amateur but exciting teenage bands that popped out of America in the mid-Sixties and are anthologized on Nuggets etc. Because a lot of these groups were aping the Beatles (more often the Stones) and playing good, old-fashioned three-chord rock, there's bound to be similarities between their music and the Beatles'. But none of the Beatles' music can truly be classified as "Garage Rock." You could just as well classify them as "indie" because they occasionally sound like Spoon or the Clientele.

14. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Taxman

15. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member Thread Starter

You are jumping the gun there. That was not the question. I could have asked the same thing about the Rolling Stones and no one would have thought that''s what I meant. I even said I never thought the Beatles were a garage rock band except maybe their cover of "Money That's What I Want" or "She's A Woman" could be argued.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The songs they recorded in Hamburg with Tony Sheridan...

17. titaniumman

titaniumman New Member

I think you're selling them short.

My understanding is that when George started really getting into cars in the mid-sixties, he invented the garage, to keep his cars clean. Before The Beatles, all cars were kept outdoors.

(To follow up my earlier post in the thread, the traditional implication for the term "Garage Rock," is sloppily played music. So it's actually an insult to say The Beatles had anything to do with "garage rock." You might as well say they invented the Bar Mitzvah band. I love The Beatles more than most, but some of these threads are ridiculous. Until someone can define "Garage Rock," in unique musical terms; any other reply will be someone randomly tossing song titles, based on nothing whatsoever.)

18. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I've played a lot of these songs in various garages throughout California :) .

"Helter Skelter" has a nice Garage vibe....especially shaking the old paint cans.

19. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

"Rain"..."Yer Blues"

20. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I Feel Fine, Ticket To Ride.

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah but Paul invented the internal combustion engine.

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

They was no such thing as 'Garage Rock' in this country when The Beatles were together, so none, 'Cavern Rock' or 'Coffee Shop Rock' would be more appropiate IMO :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.