Best Bowie masters/....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Enjoyem Steve, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enjoyem Steve

Enjoyem Steve New Member Thread Starter

The Japanese issue box set (pic below) offers the best sounding Bowie reissues I have heard. Otherwise, the Ryko AU20 Hunky Dory and 30th aniv Ziggy are the best versions of those titles I think. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Many folks here had decided that the RCA discs are the best right now.
    Others like the Ryko as well as some other labels. You be the judge for your system.

The original Vinyl is a great alternative.

Sebastich likes this.
  3. I prefer the RCA's for some titles and the Ryko's for others (even with some of the sound problems on them).

4. Enjoyem Steve

Enjoyem Steve New Member Thread Starter

The RCA Ziggy, Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane were pretty good I thought. I owned 6 of the RCA's at one point and borrowed friends copies eventually hearing all of them. I don't if it's the fact that these CD's I listed in the thread opener are Japanese imports, shouldn't make a diff. I listened to FLAC files not the actual cd's but these boxes are deff the source of the flacs. The Ryko Aladdin Sane is partially good for example, Watch That Man sounds not great but Time is good. Some of the Ryko's lack some bottom and they colour the higher frequencies. Many here like the RCA's cause they were prob taken right off the vinyl masters-they have that needdrop sound, somewhat.

Aside from not including the bonus tracks on each albums, some of the Virgin releases are ok. I recall someone with Dr. in his title did the Ryko masters. His title is Dr. Analytical Aural Properties Of Transducers That Bowie Used. HA

5. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Not to insinuate that they are not good-sounding, but aren't these just re-packaged EMI/Virgin 1999 masters?

6. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

7. ReductionDeath

ReductionDeath Member

I'm just gonna wait till they reissue the entire catalog with the same care they just showed Space Oddity. (I won't be holding my breath though.)

8. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Life would be so much simpler if Audio Fidelity would simply license the best titles from the Bowie catalog for reissue on gold CD.

Sebastich likes this.
  9. I would reword this as follows:

"Life would be so much simpler if Audio Fidelity were able to negotiate a licence agreement to reissue the best titles from the Bowie catalog on gold CD."

I suspect that licencing must be nightmare for Audio Fidelity. There would be many legal and financial barriers.

10. Mikey Ramone

Mikey Ramone New Member

I'm not a huge Bowie fan, but I love disc 2 on the Bowie @ the Beeb (BBC) CD. Problem is it fell victim to the loudness wars, so it also wears on me. I would love to see a Bowie at the BBC set mastered correctly, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. :cheers:

Sebastich likes this.
  11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I would love to see an expanded 5 cd Bowie at the Beeb, with four discs of sessions between 1967 and 1972 and one disc of the other sessions he did in the 90s.

12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Speaking of Bowie At The Beeb, did anyone send away for the corrected "Ziggy Stardust" track that was mistakingly repeated twice on initial pressings of the 2 cd set?

I got one, a single cd with the missing version and a nice note!

13. Colocally

I didn't at the time, because I wasn't on the internet and didn't know that I could, but I did get one a couple of years ago, I also have the original, and corrected album.

14. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I did too, it is a not-very-rare rarity!

Tim

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I beg to differ.....I'll bet there aren't that many of these floating around.

17. Colocally

I managed to get mine for under a fiver, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.