DCC Cream Wheels of Fire Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mayoski, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently opened a box from our last move and found a bunch of CD's that are still sealed - the DCC Cream Wheels of Fire among them. In my defense for this one, I also have an original US LP that I had gotten used to listening to (and also I forgot that I had these - oops!).

Before I ask my question let me say that I have read through as many threads on the forum (and there are many!) concerning this disc as I could find without finding a definitive answer.

The question - is there any way to tell if I have the version with the bonus tracks without opening the package. One clue that I found stated that there were two versions of the package - one with long box and one without - my copy is obviously the one without the long box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Attached Files:

2. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Let me just stand back and look at this.

Okay.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Simple answer - No. The same slipcase packaging was recycled for both Japanese (without bonus tracks) and US (with bonus tracks) discs. I have never heard the bonus tracks. I guess that a long box is more likely to be the earlier Japanese pressing, but there were both Japanese and US versions in the later non-longbox packaging. Open it and listen - you know you want to!

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

From the price tag, I would say you bought it at Circuit City?

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

On the positive side - all copies have an extended Passing the Time and a bonus track of Anyone for Tennis.

Passing the Time has a guitar solo restored that was originally snipped. Quite frankly - that extra minute or two has re-defined the track for me. Can't imagine listening to the song without it. Can't imagine why they cut it out (I don't think the extra length would have pushed them over the edge on the vinyl - it ain't that long).

john lennonist likes this.
  6. mayoski

It does look like CC doesn't it? It's been so long I don't remember.

7. mayoski

You are right - I do, but there are many others in the box and I am having a hard time deciding whether to open one, none, or all. If I do decide to open one or (shudder, all) maybe I should start a poll asking for opinions on which one to crack open first.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

What are the other titles in the box?

9. mayoski

I will compile a list and get back to you. It looks like there are about twenty or so unopened CD's or box sets. Maybe I will take some pictures too.

There are a few - like a Special Limited Edition Packaging of Elvis Costello's Mighty Like A Rose that I probably will not open because I have the regular release already open.

10. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Send me the unopened WOF and I'll pay the sticker price then you can have an unworried mind. :uhhuh:

john lennonist and fluffskul like this.
  11. mayoski

Nice. Very selfless of you. :rolleyes:

12. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a CC price sticker...

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

John- What are the bonus tracks? (Want to check mine when I get home.)

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Disc One

Bonus track from Wheels of Fire sessions:

10. Anyone for Tennis (2.39)

(Theme from the motion picture The Savage Seven)

Short Box

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The US CD has 3 additional alternate mixes.

11. Sitting on Top of the World (alt. mix)
    12. As You Said (alt. mix)
    13. Passing the Time (original version)

They are not listed on the packaging.

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I bought the long box from SH a couple of years ago when they had an auction here. Needless to say, it's the only longbox I have retained - I always loved the beautiful Atco artwork, and this is the best replication I have seen - the Japanese editions pale compared with this one. Much improved sound also - a real bottom end. Anyone who likes Cream and doesn't have this.....as Molly Meldrum says.....do yourself a favour!

17. kevin5brown

Crap: Made in Japan. :)

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Indeed! The DCC is worth plopping down some extra dollars for. If you're patient, you'll find a good deal on it. :)

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I finally opened my sealed copy of this a couple of weeks ago.

Can't believe what a great album this is (minus some of the live stuff) and it sounds amazing.

Could have/should have been enjoying this one a lot sooner than now.

and it has the three extra tracks. Not essential IMO but it's nice to have them.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey, the made in Japan version of the DCC Wheels Of Fire is probably the most fussed over, perfectly pressed CD set ever made. The disks were marvelously manufactured by Superior Disk Of Japan in 1992, one large pressing only. 5 different test pressing sets were made before THEY were happy with our first DCC gold disk and fulfilled production.

Be happy you have this set. The music is great and the disks were manufactured by people who really cared about the quality of their product. I still have three giant file folders with my correspondence with Tange-san at Superior regarding just this one album set. Their attention to detail was awesome. I wish that company was still in existence..:(

sjaca, breakingglass and Myke like this.
  21. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Simply the best version of WOF. Period!

john lennonist likes this.
  22. kevin5brown

Good to know Steve! :) Truth be told, I wouldn't have traded this one for a US one anyway. :shh:

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request..

24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Curious if OP ever opened it?

25. aburkhart

aburkhart Forum Resident

My short box version has a US (Nimbus) disc 1 with the 3 extra bonus tracks, paired with a made in Japan disc 2. First disc has SID codes while the second disc does not. I bought my copy used, so I can't confirm it was originally sold this way. Did they have leftover disc 2's from the first pressing and then coupled those with a US disc? And, how many US plants pressed the revised first disc? I've seen Nimbus and Sanyo, so far. Any major differences between the two?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.