New Analogue Productions Nat King Cole vinyl: "Mixing directly to 45 RPM lacquer" adventures!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

not being a Nat-o-phile, except for the Capitol Collector's Series CD, which one or two would you recommend to a beginner?

2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Has anyone posted the prices yet? I searched this thread but didn't see that anyone had.

In the new Acoustic Sounds print catalog, the prices are shown as $35 per SACD, plus $65 for The Nat King Cole Story SACD(s?).

That's a grand total of $275 for this series on SACD.

If you think that's a sucker punch to your wallet, it's nothing compared to the $460 for the vinyl.

I'm a subscriber to the Blue Note (1) and Impulse SACD series, which has me in for $1,500. Trying to figure out how I can possibly afford this NKC series too. I doubt I can. :(

But it looks to be an awesome, amazing, wonderful collection!

Craig.

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The single discs are showing as $30 each on the Acoustic Sounds website which is in line with their standard SACD pricing, with The Nat King Cole Story the same at $65.

Wonder if the $35 in the catalog is typo?

4. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I pre-ordered all of the SACDs in the series from Acoustic Sounds. The total is $245 (plus $7.85 for UPS Ground shipping).

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

First and foremost, his famous "LOVE IS THE THING" record recorded in 1956, his greatest album. #1 on the album charts in 1957. Everyone needs this album in their collection. Even if you have the DCC Gold CD version this disk will be different. The digital disk will have a rare three channel version on DSD, a two-channel DSD mix, a two-channel CD mix and the original "hit" 1956 mono mix in both DSD and CD form. The 45 RPM version will be a unique mix cut live from the three tracks during mastering. Can't miss with this one. Just listen to STARDUST. Heaven on earth.

Then, everything else.:)

CBackley likes this.
  6. BigAl84

BigAl84 Member

are these worth getting if you do not have a SACD player?

7. Steve Hoffman

They will play in a regular CD player.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good to know ( I didn't know that!!) and I'm glad to say that I have it - it's the only Nat King Cole DCC that I have.

Incidentally, I was setting up my stereo system in a new room and I was having some problems. You know how every CD or LP sounds different depending on who mastered it, who recorded it, etc. Luckily Nat was recorded beautifully - and it shows!

Back to my point. You know how you focus on the vocals when mastering? I did the same thing with my stereo set up. Now I have it dialed in, everything fell into place and I could not be happier. :)

Just wanted to thank you for this DCC gold. It saved me lots of frustration... :)

Sounds just about perfect. :cool:

And that live-mixed 45 RPM cutting will be amazing....

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yes, that's what I paid too for my pre-order.

Time to start collecting bottles ;)

10. Steve Hoffman

Gary,

In the (good) old days of engineering, the vocal was out front and the band was the accompaniment. Modern recording engineers seem to forget this and mix the orchestra and the vocalist at equal volume. Drives me batty. The star of the show is the star....

------------------------------

You are the second person who told me they set up their stereo to the Nat Cole DCC "Love Is The Thing".

Kevin Hayes of VAC told me he voiced an entire tubed product line around the sound of the DCC disk! Trust me, I was appalled when he mentioned that and I told him so. He calmed me down.. However, after I heard the gear it really did sound good and the Nat Cole DCCs sounded great on the VAC!;)

11. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Including the mono mix?

The Acoustic Sounds catalog says they're a bonus on the SACD layer.

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Thanks Steve

13. Steve Hoffman

Will play in a regular CD player.

Last conversation I had with Chad, the monos would be on the CD layer as well as the SACD two-channel layer....

14. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

:righton:

15. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Just get an SACD player already. If I was in the market I'd get the new Oppo BDP-83/SE which does Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-A.

I say this because if you have change for discs @ $30+ a pop you can probably afford the player.

CBackley likes this.
  16. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

I hope so...

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Great quote, Steve! Speaking of "Stardust", have you ever heard the "different" ending version that was used at the beginning of the movie, "My Favorite Year"? I always wondered where that version came from? I'm guessing that they might have done their own new orchestral ending, just for that movie, but I could be wrong? Wherever it came from, I dig it.

Chris C

18. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

So which version of Route 66 is it on the Top Music International SACD? Is it the original from the 40s?

19. Steve Hoffman

Only one take in existence of this song, the master take. They must have messed with it for the movie. It's been a really long time since I've seen it...

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Steve, do we know how many takes of Stardust he did before the mastertake? Or was it a one shot deal and he nailed it?

21. Steve Hoffman

Seven takes but mainly they were false starts and arrangement issues. The idea is to never let the music step on the singer. Gordon Jenkins was a master of that, just an amazing arranger, adjusting during the recording process. Having the musicians change the score themselves. Very tricky.. You can hear some of this on the 45 RPM version of LOVE IS THE THING. On "I Thought About Marie" I left a bit of the arrangement adjusting on before the master take.

---------------

LP: Love Is The Thing:
    December 19, 1956
    (Session #4710; 14:00-18:00) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Gordon Jenkins (arranger / conductor) Allan J. Reuss (guitar) Jack Ryan (bass) Lee Young (drums) Charles LaVere (piano) Armand Kaproff (cello) Kathryn M. Thompson (harp) Bill Baffa (viola) Paul Robyn (viola) David H. Sterkin (viola) Israel Baker (violin) Alex Beller (violin) Joe Chassman (violin) Samuel 'Sam' Cytron (violin) Kurt Dieterle (violin) Sol Kindler (violin) Murray Kellner (violin) Joseph 'Joe' Livoti (violin) Daniel 'Dan' Lube (violin) Rickey Marino (violin) Erno Neufeld (violin) Joseph G. 'Joe' Quadri (violin) Mischa Russell (violin) Ralph Schaeffer (violin) Paul C. Shure (violin) Marshall Sosson (violin)

(16308-7) Stardust

Find your own Nat King Cole session info here, at Chris' website:

http://apileocole.alongthehall.com/

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Guess which album was Number One on the very first Billboard chart? And that after it had already been out a bit iirc. :)

Nat also sang it on his TV show. Don't remember the movie.

I don't know, if you want to post a clip perhaps one of us can identify it. There's the original hit 78, a studio version for transcription, the After Midnight version, the NKC Story version...

The take is numbered #7 (see my site); false starts etc counted; odds are, they were working it out, got the "vibe" and nailed a complete take at #7. With no deliberations needed it was, "next!"

edit, I see Steve gotcha there. :)

23. Steve Hoffman

THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU...

I just heard from Gus who is authoring our SACD versions of the NAT albums. He told me that much to my surprise (didn't think it would fit) he did indeed manage to squeeezzz the complete 16 song original mono album of THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU on the two-channel SACD layer including the two BONUS TRACKS left off the original album for a total of 16 songs. It won't fit on the CD layer though..

Please note that this means our SACD of THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU will have the first ever anywhere release of DON'T BLAME ME and THERE IS NO GREATER LOVE in their original mono unissued form. Also the first digital release of the original mono "hit" album mix of the complete 14 song 1958 release.

This is great news for such a classic album. The vintage mono mixes of this stuff really cook.. Thanks Gus for making it happen!

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Super news! I have great affection for the song THERE IS NO GREATER LOVE sung by Nat. Like some of the tracks left off of the original After Midnight album, one wonders how they could sit in the vaults for so long.

25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Great news Steve. Thanks Gus! :righton:

"...in All the World it's True"

Who else would sing it like that? Only Nat...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.