New Analogue Productions Nat King Cole vinyl: "Mixing directly to 45 RPM lacquer" adventures!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Sorry if this has been covered, it does get a tad confusing though. If one purchases just the 45s will it include all the bonus cuts.. mono etc etc? Or will I need to buy some of the sacds also?

Thanks Steve and Chris for answering my question about Stardust. Basically he nailed the vocal in one complete run through. Thats a pro for you! I wonder how many times Mr Cole did that on a cut?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Me too, one of his best. It was played during the walk down the isle on our wedding day in 2000. I remember Kevin Gray and I had to compress the heck out of it ahead of time so it could be heard at the wedding ceremony. Way too much dynamic range. Heh, we even mono'd it for ease of listening.

By the way, discographers please note, the album THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU was originally meant to contain all sixteen songs and was prepared that way for mastering. After a test cut, DON'T BLAME ME and THERE IS NO GREATER LOVE were yanked making it a fourteen song album (still quite generous) and the other two songs stayed in the can for a very long time.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Oh gosh. Now there's a special memory... :love:

Ah - and well placed they were! Just too much to cut for comfort at the time I guess. Thanks for sharing the memory and the info.

4. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

I'm confused...which specific songs will the CD not contain? The entire mono album and the bonus tracks? Or just the bonus tracks?

5. Steve Hoffman

The 45 RPM versions contain live three track to two track mixes of released songs and bonus tracks.

The 45 RPM album of AFTER MIDNIGHT contains the original 12 song mono album plus six bonus tracks directly from the session tapes on three 12" vinyl disks.

6. Steve Hoffman

The Very Thought Of You digital disk will contain:

Three-channel mix of 16 songs. DSD
    Two-Channel mix of 16 songs. DSD
    Vintage Mono mix of 16 songs. DSD
    Two-Channel mix of 16 songs. PCM CD

Total of 64 songs.

7. apileocole

Let's see... ok far as I can figure it, corrections welcomed, bearing in mind that LPs are 45 rpm and that SACDs of stereo albums contain separate "layers" - multi-channel DSD, 2-channel stereo DSD, and one standard CD layer playable in regular CD players.

- After Midnight was (great sounding) mono only.
    • LP and DSD & CD layers on the SACD have same track lists, which are the full original album plus Candy, What Is There To Say?, I Was a Little Too Lonely (And You Were A Little Too Late), You Can Depend On Me, Two Loves Have I, take 2 of Just You - Just Me, and a intro-only flub of It's Only A Paper Moon for a major bumper crop of bonus tracks.

- Love Is The Thing was mono & stereo
    • LP is stereo with some great studio chatter and false start before "I Thought About Marie"
    • DSD layers of SACD include 3-track stereo, stereo and mono
    • CD layer of SACD contains stereo and mono

- Just One o' Those Things was mono & stereo.
    • LP is stereo, includes stereo You'll Never Know bonus track.
    • DSD layers of SACD includes 3-track, stereo & mono mixes of the album, 3-track stereo, stereo and mono mixes of You'll Never Know (which are different takes) plus mono-only alternate of Just For the Fun of It.
    • CD layer of SACD contains stereo & mono mixes of the album, the stereo and mono mixes of You'll Never Know (which are different takes) plus mono-only alternate of Just For the Fun of It.

- St. Louis Blues was mono & stereo.
    • LP is stereo
    • DSD layers of SACD includes 3-track stereo, stereo and mono
    • CD layer of SACD contains stereo and mono

- The Very Thought of You was mono & stereo
    • LP is stereo, includes bonus tracks the Steve Hoffman Wedding Song (formerly known as There Is No Greater Love) :D & Don't Blame Me also in stereo
    • DSD layer of SACD includes 3-track stereo, stereo and mono with bonus tracks There Is No Greater Love & Don't Blame Me in 3-track stereo and mono
    • CD layer of SACD contains album in stereo with bonus tracks There Is No Greater Love & Don't Blame Me in stereo

- The Nat King Cole Story was stereo
    • LP is stereo, also includes Ramblin’ Rose and Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer as bonus.
    • multi-channel DSD layer of SACD includes album in 3-track except Orange Colored Sky, Oh, Mary, Don’t You Weep and Ay, Cosita Linda (which were not recorded to 3-track), and includes Ramblin’ Rose and Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer as bonus.
    • 2-channel DSD layer of SACD includes full album in stereo and includes Ramblin’ Rose and Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer as bonus.
    • CD layer of SACD includes full album in stereo and includes Ramblin’ Rose and Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer as bonus.

- Where Did Everyone Go? was stereo only
    • LP and DSD & CD layers on the SACD have same track lists, which are the full original album plus A Farewell To Arms and Happy New Year as bonus tracks.

That'll be $5,999.99 please... and now for The Buckinghams, with Kind of A Drag =thud=

Many times. When it clicks... :righton:

CBackley likes this.
  8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Thanks Chris!... I think :laugh:

Looks like this christmas ( and the next ) is all planned out ;) The only other artist that I can say Id take a plunge like this for goes by the initials FAS. Between this and the jazz titles I think I am now in the middle of the start of a whole new era in my musical journey over the last 3 years. And Im digging it!

Im trying to think the last time I bought some of that stuff the kids are listening to now a days .. what do they call it? rock n something or other..

9. apileocole

Mr. Cole Won't Rock & Roll. Except when he does... but anyway, boy I know what you mean. According to this internet station, the new stuff coming in is tagged downbeat house chill triphop acidbreak industrial thrash speedmetal and er er you know. We'll just say we're into retro. Yeah that's it. ;)

10. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Great!

Q for Steve: I understand that you always receive a test pressing from the pressing plant before the final production of the disc, to make sure you're happy with the sound. I can understand that for Lp's, but not so for CD/SACD's. When you (or Gus) ship a final digital production master to the pressing plant, it's only "one and zero's". Then I thought it always will be the same "one and zero's" that will be at the final production disc compared to the production digital master? Then why receive a test pressing?

Thanks for your answer.:)

11. Steve Hoffman

Glitches happen, stuff happens (we know that all too well). The reason for tests in this case is because Gus is putting this together in order (he's in Colorado) from the jumble of stuff I mixed. I want to be sure that we are in sync..

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Ok. I now understand why.:)
    Thanks!

13. Steve, is there any chance that the SACD's will be ready in time for Chad Kassem to sell them at his usual exhibit during January's 2010 CES Convention in Las Vegas? I'm planning to vacation there and was wondering if they're going to have them ready by then so I could purchase them from Chad in person!:wave:

14. Steve Hoffman

Well, no. LP's maybe....

15. Steve Hoffman

Usually it's just to reassure the client that everything is groovy. I can count on the fingers of one hand in 25 years of doing CD's the number of times there was an actual digital problem.

16. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

I just got the new Acoustic Sounds catalog, then went immediately to the AS site and preordered all the SACDs - wooo-hoooo!!!! :goodie:

17. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Unfortunately it's not a typo - the Nat King Cole SACDs are already priced at $34,99 on elusivedisc.com

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=APSA782

bummer :shake:

18. apileocole

It is, but these were not cheap to make. A lot of tape research (even with a few folks helping a bit for free). Top quality gear including some custom designed and built just for the project. Some of the titles have multiple layers and a mono version as well, none of which came free. So even when spread out among the SACDs and LPs, the costs have to be quite high for these.

19. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

will be worth the money I'm hoping...

20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

22. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Great. I'll be able to save some money and buy them all this way :righton:

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I just double checked the order I placed about a month ago for all of the NKC SACDs.

It's cancelled! :eek:

Has anyone else seen this happen?

24. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

25. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Does anyone know if "Love Is The Thing" SACD is still scheduled for a Jan 1, 2010 release? That release date for this title disappeared on Acoustic Sounds web site and a release date is no longer indicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.