Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok, then "Good Now." :wave: :D

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's the 1962 cycle that was issued on SACD? I must re-listen.

I have about 7 or 8 cycles with no current favorite, although Szell is on my iPod so he get's the most listenings.

I'm really trying to make myself expand my classical music range. I just got through the DG Ligeti 4 disc box. Liked some, was baffled by some.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Different strokes, I guess—the under-charged aspect you speak of strikes me as a corrective, eschewing years of incremental Wagnerization. Initially my response was much like yours but over time I'm liking it more and more.

Well, there's always Celibidache for those who find Furtwangler too zippy:shrug:

There's a lot of performances of the seventh I like—Bernstein's second NYPO recording on Sony, Carlos Kleiber on DGG, Walter, Toscanini . . .

It may not be the ultimate audiophile experience but it's unusually easy to listen into, to hear all the inner voices.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Hmmm...interesting.

Beethoven cycles I have unloaded:
    HVK: 3 (1 on EMI, the earlier two on DG)
    LVB: DG
    Gardiner
    Norrington EMI
    Toscanini
    Rattle

Individual discs:
    Bernstein on CBS
    Klemperer
    Bohm
    Szell
    Abbado
    Walter (my most “I don’t get it” conductor)
    Kleiber

Box sets I've kept:
    Harnoncourt

single discs:
    Bernstein CBS
    Bernstein DG
    Hogwood
    Bohm
    Abbado
    P. Jarvi

And that's just from memory. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

:wtf: I hope you're not referring to Carlos Kleiber's DG 5th and 7th.

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I don't know - that one sounds like a real collectors item :D

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Department Of Redundancy Department

Really now?

Hey—you want a complete Time-Life Beethoven Bicentennial edition? Cheap?:cool:

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Oh, but I am. I've never liked that disc as much as everyone else seems to.

In general, Beethoven's symphonies are something I enjoy more live. No recordings have ever seemed as wonderful as I know this music is. And I'm not one of those "acoustic instruments in a live venue" guys at all.

It could happen some day. I didn't think I liked Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, because I'd never found any on record or CD I wanted to listen to again. And then Andras Schiff and Paul Lewis each did full cycles between 2005-2008, and I currently spend 80% of my music-listening time with one or the other of them.

I got Paavo Jarvi's Beethoven 4 and 7 recently (the 2nd movement of the 7th is my favorite in all of Beethoven), and like it pretty well. Whether I'll listen to it as obsessively as I am the two sets of piano sonatas, I don't know.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Oh, you know I meant Lenny von Bernstein. You know.

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I guess, I may change my opinion too - who knows? Moreover, I don't find over-romantization provided by Karajan, Barenboim and likes better suited for 'optimal' Beethoven experience either. BUT, it's quite interesting to listen to all these approaches at least once, and, probably, I wouldn't be very happy only listening to those conductors who use kappelmeister's approach, despite I really prefer them.

I like some of Furtwangler's work, esp. the brutal war-time 5th with Berliners. I may try Celibidache one day.

I have the Kleiber's one but find it a bit too raw, fast and one-dimensional (his 5th still is among my 2 or 3 favorites). My preferred, almost perfect dialectical duo of 7ths is ambiental account by Blomstedt and danceable one by Hanover Band. I also have and enjoy, among others: Barenboim/Berliners (a splendid one, but too polite and smoothed out), Haitink/LSO (almost perfect, except for too brisk 2nd movement).

Agreed, the cycle has undoubted analitical value.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I got Steven K-B's Diabelli Variations today, a Philips The Originals remaster. Not bad.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

With this mega box set, which apparently includes the 1977 cycle, I now have every HvK Beethoven cycle on CD. I used to have the 1977 cycle only on a beautifully put-together LP set ...

Attached Files:

13. coopmv

His estate is worth at least $500MM from what I read some place. There is no wealthier conductor, dead or living, compared to K ...

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sorry, wasn't referring to conductor HVK, I was referring to the Composer LVB—who was known to complain about his income as a composer.

15. coopmv

Of all the major composers (classical only), few were as wealthy as Handel when he died. He had some £20,000. That sum of money in 1759 is now probably worth tens of millions of pounds and probably much more ...

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Furtwangler was lucky enough to be one of the first great conductors recorded on magnetic tape. There's a furious wartime—1944?—recording of Furtwangler leading the Eroica. Tempo relations and sheer force of will reminds me a great deal of Szell with Cleveland. Also fond of his studio recording of the Eroica along with his "offical" recordings of the Fifth & Pastoral symphonies. Have his late record of the Ninth with the Philharmonia in Lucerne. Great Recordings of the Century, one and all.

I just doubt they are anything like what Beethoven had in mind. They're probably what Wagner had in mind when he heard Beethoven.

17. coopmv

Was that the recording where you could hear cannon shots in the background?

18. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

As do most "composers" today - it's all about those royalties, baby!

19. coopmv

When did royalties come into existence anyway?

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Restrained like Kempff, produces a beautiful tone, excellent recording. Bears repeat listening well.

Mieczysław Horszowski's performance on Vox has similar virtues.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Bombs Away !

The one I recall is a Gieseking recording of the Emperor Concerto with Artur Rother conducting a German Radio Orchestra, one of the first deliberate stereo recordings on tape. There was anti-aircraft fire in the cadenza—the sort of sound Spike Jones might get into. I also recall a Wanda Landowska recording of Scarlatti with explosions in the background. Later on, or course, John Bonham was called in for such effects . . .

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That helps explain why Beethoven loved the work of Handel so . . .:agree:

23. coopmv

Yeah, those memorable recordings made during wartime in Europe. I do not own any of these recordings ...

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You might like the Kleiber Beethoven symphony recordings more if you hear the SACD. While still a 70's DGG recording, the SACD's dynamic shadings and tone colors are a lot more alive sounding than the CD versions. BTW, I am one of those "acoustic instruments in a live venue" kinda guys.

25. coopmv

I think that SACD was only recently released. I did not see it a year ago ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.