Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Just wanted to say good evening/morning/afternoon to all the Classical fans! :wave:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

bedtime for bonzo

Attached Files:

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The one recording from that era that seems the spiritual capstone is Furtwangler's 1944 recording of Bruckner's Ninth. You may not hear any bombs going off in the background but the overall musical effect is the equivalent of the Tarot deck's Tower card—you can hear the sound of a whole way of life falling apart. This Bruckner Ninth is the flip side of Bruno Walter's recording of Mahler's Ninth with the Vienna Philharmonic, one recorded on the eve of the Anschluss.

Amazing performance captured on an early tape recording, evocative sound quality if not exactly what one would call "high fidelity."

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the reminder, I have a copy of that 9th, but never spun it. I'll check it out over the weekend.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

It was a greeting, not a goodbye. :wave:

No comment on the photo. :hide:

6. coopmv

Moments Musicaux, D.780 No.3 in F major from CD9 from this set is wonderful ...

Attached Files:

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Hi, George. How go your roommate issues?

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

9. coopmv

We are fewer than 100 posts from hitting 1000. In the good old days, we hit the 1000 posts in no time ...

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

C. Kleiber Beethoven 5 7 SACD

Released May 13, 2003.

12. coopmv

This is the first time I heard of his name. Which composer's keyboard works does he specialize in?

13. coopmv

I swear I did not see the SACD listed on Amazon until quite recently ...

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Amazon has had it in stock since street date.

15. mischling

mischling Forum Resident

Hello all,

a couple of weeks ago I asked for help in identifying the first tape-recorded release in the UK:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=202077&highlight=

Unfortunately, no=one could help me, so I'll keep on looking.

I wonder tho if anyone can give me some info on the other end of the era: what were the last analogue classical recordings on the big four labels -
    DG, Decca, EMI, Philips?

Anyone help out?

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

As I recall, one of the first successful experiments with magnetic tape recording was in the thirties and involved Sir Thomas Beecham and BASF, a German corporation. I do a little research and get back to you all.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not quite the answer you were looking for, but it's a start:

The first public recording using the AEG Magnetophon was Nov. 19, 1936, with the London Philharmonic orchestra conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham at BASF's own concert hall in Ludwigshaven.​

http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/recording/tape.html

The link has sound samples.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Morning, all! :wave:

Now playing:

JS Bach
    Cello Suites 4-6
    Bylsma II
    Sony Vivarte

19. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Hard to say but I have had it for a couple of years and release date was 2003 according to Amazon. IIRC, there is also a DVD-A of this.

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I think I will soon, too.

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

None, really. He's an equal opportunity pianist. I found him originally when I was checking out the Harmonia Mundi website. Voici son discographie:

http://www.cedrictiberghien.com/english.html#Discographie

Speaking of Harmonia Mundi, did any of you buy their 50th Anniversary box set?

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Vinyl

LP shopping at Amoeba last night. The Mahler Third was a big score. I knew RL was doing a lot of work for Nonesuch in the early 70's -- found a RL promo of George Crumb's Ancient Voices of Children over the summer -- so I was psyched to find a clean, albeit not quiet, Horenstein M3. Usually, I shy away from Mahler on vinyl, but these two pressings are worthy of the composer's wide and wild dynamics. The Odyessey transfers are not filtered with harsh analog NR, but are very listenable. The cut of Szell's Beethoven 7 is excellent, and the Schubert, amazingly, is not available on digital, best as I can tell. Not a Winterreise for the time capsule but very good and with Philips immaculate production/plating/pressing you can't go wrong.
    • Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92 - George Szell/The Cleveland Orchestra [Odyssey/Columbia 1978, WLP]
    • The Budapest String Quartet - Historic Early EMI Recordings 1932-36 [Odyssey/Columbia 1977, 4LP boxed set, WLP]
    • Adolf Busch & Rudolf Serkin - Beethoven, Bach, Schumann [Odyssey/Columbia 1977, 3LP boxed set, promo]
    • Mahler: Symphony No. 3 in D minor - Jascha Horenstein/London Symphony Orchestra with Norma Proctor (contralto) and Ambrosian Singers, Wandsworth School Boys Choir [Elektra/Nonesuch 1971 2LP, promo, licensed from Unicorn Records UK, disk-cutting by Robert Ludwig at Sterling Sound, unfortunately pressed on typically-noisy Nonesuch vinyl -- still, this is a whopper]
    • Mahler: Symphony No. 8 in E-flat Major 'Symphony of a Thousand' - Klaus Tennstedt/London Philharmonic Orchestra & Choir, Tiffin School Boys' Choir with Elizabeth Connell, Edith Wiens, Felicity Lott, Trudeliese Schmidt, Nadine Denize, Richard Versalle, Jorman Hynninen, Hans Sotin [Angel/EMI 1987 2LP, cut DMM by Europadisc, vinyl not too noisy -- love this Eighth]
    • Schubert: Winterreise - Hermann Prey (baritone) with Wolfgang Sawallisch (piano) [Philips 1973 2LP boxed set, German WLP]

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I tried to buy the DHM set - I think there's a French set as well - but according to mdt it was OOP by the time of my order. I really wanted it for the early music.

That reminds me, my recording of Lassus' "Jeremiah Lamentations" by the Hilliard Ensemble died a cd rot death recently, and I'm looking for a replacement. It looks like the Hilliard version is OOP.

24. coopmv

That is a bummer. It is no doubt much cheaper getting this mega box than getting CD singles while you give up on some nice and often one-of-a-kind CD artwork.

I have been buying early music in earnest since the beginning of this year and have probably bought close to 100 titles by such artists as Byrd, Dufay, Ockeghem, Taverner. Tallis, Fayrfax and Gesualdo, etc. It is very instructive to have a collection that follows the evolution of western music, isn't it? My collection starts with early music and ends with composers who lived through the 1950's like Sibelius. I do not like "modern" classical music at all. To me, "modern" classical music is by the Beatles and I have all their recordings collecting dust ...

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Harmonia Mundi 50th anniversary box

I found the French Harmonia Mundi box used for $50 a couple months ago and promptly snatched it up. Very good deal for some amazing music. For early music, HM can't be topped. Been amassing a nice little collection of the HM Gold titles. The third series was released last month. Here's one I picked up last week.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.