Can a cheap turntable damage records (MY 1ST POST!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Or maybe a B & M store that carries quality entry level tables, like Rega, ProJect or Music Hall?

2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My drummer is the only other guy I know into vinyl and the one who pushed me into getting a turntable. His turntable is nice but someone "gave" it to him and he suggested I just go buy a cheap one. I've heard him say, "a turntable is a turntable" so I'm not sure if he's the guy to go to for advice.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

You don't have to figure it all out today.

4. phish

phish Jack Your Body

that works as well IF you can get someone to spend some time with you knowing that you are likely just learning and window shopping at this point.

seems there should be a member in philly that could help you out.....

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

naaaa, that's not the guy!

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I don't know if they're still open, but Danby Radio in Ardmore, PA, used to be my favorite Philly area hifi shop. Recommended!!!

7. dennis1077

I swear, these places are like non-existent. A web search turned up Best Buy and Strawbridges at the Mall.

I bought a few records from acousticsounds.com and as a result, now receive their catalague. In fact, I remember the names Project and Music Hall as companies making turntables within the rice range I can afford $4-500.

8. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

True. Some high end dealers can be real snobs if they sense you aren't prepared to whip out a credit card on the first visit, or are just browsing. But, the OP might show good faith by buying a carbon fiber record cleaning brush, or at least have sound like someone who knows what a good table goes for. And, the OP has gleaned that from this thread.

9. dennis1077

SWEET. This is damn good information. I'll help to look this place up. My band used to play in Ardmore once a month. It's only 20 minutes away!

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

true that.

11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

12. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Bryn Mawr stereo is not around anymore? They were huge back when I lived in Philly.

I bought my gear back in the early 80s from the Record Shop in Maple Shade, NJ. A google search suggests they are still there, so give them a call. If you live in Philly, take the Ben Franklin Bridge to NJ, route 38 east. It is just past the Cherry Hill Mall.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

14. dennis1077

I swear to God, you guys are better than Google.

15. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

This is true. I didn't mean to discourage you earlier. It took me a while to get a hang of much of the basic stuff. Much of what I've learned is from this forum.

16. dennis1077

Yea, I think I'm going to be content with what I have for the time being and see what I can learn from these forums before upgrading.

17. Toka

Toka Active Member

Give this store in Maple Shade, NJ a call:

http://www.albumhunter.com/

Its a record store, but they have (or did have) a used equipment store inside as well. Good stuff at good prices, no attitude.

18. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Dennis1077, where in Philadelphia are you?

19. dennis1077

Technically I'm in Delaware County. I'm in Ridley Park, 2 exits south of Philly International Airport on 95.

20. PMC7027

Thanks. I grew up in Northeast Philly and now live in Cherry Hill, NJ.

Here is a link to the pennsylvania dealers for Music Hall turntables:

http://musichallaudio.com/dealers.php?s=PA

They are well regarded by many members fo the forum, although I have no personal experience with them.

21. dennis1077

Nice! This is immensely helpful. I guess you just have to know where to look (or WHAT your looking for). My generic Google search for a stereo store gave me nothing beyond Best Buy and Circuit City.

22. PMC7027

I also suggest you take a look at the website www.needledoctor.com

That is Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor. He has pictures of literally dozens of turntables that he sells, from the least expensive up to the $150,000 Clearaudio statement.

If you see anything that looks interesting you can then go the manufacturer's website and get info and search for a local dealer.

23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Unfortunately, that Pioneer is not any good, and most likely it will damage your records in the long term. It's just a junk 'table with a toy plastic tonearm and a heavy tracking piece-of-sheet cartridge. The same table is also sold as the Denon DP-29F and Sony PS-LX250 and the Audio Technica something-or-other, and all should be avoided.

Unfortunately this model is pretty much the only thing available at places like Best Buy, Fry's etc....aside from equally awful Ion USB turntables and those Crowsley fake-retro crud machines.

I can't imagine the vinyl "revival" surviving for long if new converts see these as the only option in stores, but that's how it is right now.

24. dennis1077

Nice. I'm going to obsessively study models until income tax return time!

25. dennis1077

That's what got me. These were the only types of turntables I was encountering. It wasn't until I bought some records online and started receiving catolgues that I became aware of the greater world of turntables that exists out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.