Can a cheap turntable damage records (MY 1ST POST!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toka

Toka Active Member

I think once again this thread show the importance of listening and experiencing different models before you buy anything. There is no limit to good reviews and opinions on the web. I've made comparisons of models such as an SL-1200 with Pro-jects and Regas in the same price range and preferred the '1200 every time. It was more quiet and the speed stability was on a different planet. Haven't used the A-T 'table but some people like it better than the '1200, others don't. People will hear things differently (assuming they actually make a direct comparison, which it seems most don't), but thats why different models are available.

2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm wondering how obvious these tonal differences are. I'm sure an experienced listener can point out subtle variations but I'm not sure the average listener will be able to notice a difference.

3. leir

leir Forum Resident

You'll never know unless you try it.

Many of us are urging you to audition before you buy, but it seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you're not fully understanding the importance of that concept, or you simply don't want to put in the effort it takes to do it. Maybe it's because you are intimidated (because of your lack of knowledge) to go to a real Hi-Fi shop, or very busy with other things, or you're just lazy. Maybe I'm just talking out of my butt right now, who knows? Don't take offense, none was intended.

The worst thing to do is to buy a piece of audio equipment on the recommendation of someone else without ever hearing/seeing it in action. I used to buy my stuff like that in the past, but I will never do it again - unless I am assured that I can return the product at absolutely no cost to me, but then there is the PITA of packing it correctly so it doesn't get damaged on its return.

Think about this, it might not even come down to a sound issue, you just may like how a certain piece operates, or even how it looks for that matter. A picture on the web is all that it is.

4. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

Note that there are some people (like myself) who don't have any hifi shops around (or at least not any that sell turntables) so basing a decision off of online reviews, etc is the only real option.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Different aspects of sound reproduction affect different people in different ways. Speed stability may be what you focus on, so a Technics 1200 may be your ideal solution. You might be more concerned with tone color, maybe a Rega is more your style. But you have to hear the different turntables in order to find out for yourself.

6. leir

leir Forum Resident

That point is well understood, however, the OP said he is from Ridley Park, PA which is like, what, 10-15 miles or so from Philly.

7. leir

leir Forum Resident

8. dennis1077

No offense taken. You're right on many concepts, essentially that I don't fully recognize the importance. Being that everyone is so adamant about the importance of actually trying turntables before a purchase, I'm starting to realize that there may be very real differences.

I am lazy to an extent. From what I gather, you won't be able to go into 1 store and try all 3 turntables, but drive from store to store to try differnt models. The Philly metro area is so big, this is hours and hours of driving, to compare things that accurately or innaccurately are perceived as "being essentially the same."

I think I WILL indeed put the effort out and check put turntables. At this point, I want to see and hear what you guys are talking about!

9. dennis1077

Yep, Ridley is so close to the city it feels like it's simply an extension of it.

10. leir

leir Forum Resident

Just understand that you may not hear much, if any, differences even between a $300 and $3000 setup. Or, you may walk out of a shop realizing the limitations of your own system, but you'll never know unless you get out there. This is a very subjective hobby, so personal experience is the most important element. One man's Linn is another's Technics.

Being a guitar player, you might be able to understand it a little better this way. Strum the G chord on a Strat, then again on a Les Paul, hear a difference? Some people do and some don't. You have to find out which category you belong to. :)

11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Then strum the same chord on the Epiphone Les Paul compared to the Gibson, and the Squier strat compared to the Fender. The subtleties of the differences are similar.

Check out the used record stores around South Street. One of them has a basement full of cheap records. One has a great jazz section on the second floor.

12. dennis1077

I think this was the main reason I was willing to just buy one online without trying. I REALLY don't think I'LL notice difference. But, I've also considered the guitar example. I certainly can notice a difference between a Les Paul and a Strat.......even MORE in the amp world. To me, a Marshall and a Fender amp are COMPLETELY different animals.

13. dennis1077

Yea, I gotta get down South Street and see what's still there on the side streets. It used to be a haven for artists, musicians and indepent businesses. These days it's nothing but The Gap, McDonalds and even Abercrombie and Fitch! Most of the cool record stores I grew up simply couldn't afford the skyrocketing rents that are easily afforded by big corporations and had to close down. The whole feel and spirit of that street has sadly changed.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

15. dennis1077

Sweet! Thanks! This is the one that I've been leaning towards (it's the cheapest and cheap is good for my budget).

16. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

As others have mentioned, it's important to try stuff out. But I doubt you would be disappointed with a Pro-Ject...as I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I'm thrilled with mine.

17. dennis1077

I've got a month to kill before I can afford the purchase, so I'll do some in store comparisons. Besides, I want to ensure they have the particular model I choose in stock on payday!

The unfortunate reality is, price is a MAJOR factor. Only the Project and Rega are within my price range and even that is going to put a hurting on the old back account.

18. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

I just recently bought a Pro-Ject Debut III (Red) and I love it.

19. dennis1077

In the review I read, the reviewer compared the Pre-Ject to the Rega. The guy said he THOUGHT the Rega would have won but ended up liking the Pro-Ject better.

20. dennis1077

OK, it's update time. I've decided to go with the Pro-ject Debut III! Still have to wait a good 2 and a half weeks before I can afford it.

However, THIS paycheck, I'm going to go ahead and order the Phono Pre-Amp. This way I can pick my turntable on payday and just start playing records. Based on a suggestion from this thread I'm going to get the Audio Technica PEQ3 Phono Preamp.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-...echnica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp?sc=12&category=-112

If anyone has any other last minute suggestions regarding a pre-amp, feel free to make one. Also, does anyone know what cables I would need to order along with the pre-amp?

21. attym

attym Forum Resident

If price is an issue, you can get a very reliable and great sounding used turntable for little money around $100 give or take. I'd suggest that all day long over a new table at that range.

22. dennis1077

The thought of a used turntable scares me. I'm such a newbie in the world of vinyl I'd rather buy new simply for peace of mind.

23. attym

attym Forum Resident

Eventually your new turntable will need some maintenance. There are a lot of junk used tables out there but also a lot of great ones that just need a belt and new cart.

24. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Pro-ject tables are very simple to maintain, more so then some of the vintage tables out there.

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You'll just need a set of regular RCA interconnects to connect the phono pre to your receiver/amplifier. You've probably already got some in a closet somewhere :) I'm sure the Pro-Ject will come with its own interconnects to connect it to the phono pre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.