Robert Zemeckis To Remake Yellow Submarine (project cancelled)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bhazen, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Maybe they'll pull a George Lucas and offer the original as non-anamorphic "bonus material" on a second disc with the new one!
    :laugh:

2. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Uh, the protagonists in the story are the BEATLES! They will use the original songs...

3. CapitalQ

CapitalQ Forum Resident

4. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I laughed at the comment on the link where someone hoped that Zemeckis could use the voices of the real Beatles by editing together various interviews.

I realize they gave a LOT of interviews over the years - but that struck me as extremely wishful thinking. You'd have better luck if the voices were somehow computer generated using the actual voices for clues on how to generate each voice... but wasn't that sort of what the actual voice actors did in the original movie???

I've never really had a problem with the voices in the old 1969 film.

All one has to do is watch the saturday morning cartoons to realize how BAD the voice over work COULD have been.

The only way I see myself enjoying this film is if they take all of the original dialogue - from the original film - and the George Martin music - from the original film - and modernize the animation.

But that still feels like "what's the point?"

I suspect they will just find four actors good at doing pseudo-Liverpudlian accents - and have them speak entirely new dialogue... I don't want to see Paul and Ringo paired with two John and George imitators... it would be too distracting.

5. Mikkel

Mikkel Forum Resident

First I was very sceptical about this Remake but if Zemeckis will do it like he had done it with A Christmas Carol it will be maybe not THAT bad ...

Will there (after YS-Songtrack 1999 and the YS-Remaster 2009) be a third Yellow Submarine album? I think so ...

6. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

The "new" Christmas Carol bugs me because Scrooge has a ridiculously large nose simply for the sake of having it protrude in 3D. (And yeah, I've got kind of a hideous great hooter meself). But I suppose P, R, O, & Y will ensure they all look cool and not freaky scary stupid.

7. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Now that's what I want! A 3D mo-cap 'reimagining' of Let It Be, complete with a feelgood ending and no Phil Spector. :laugh:

Geoff

8. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Yellow Submarine was a unique, idiosyncratic film that was of its time -- it should be left alone.

They might have sophisticated motion capture technology -- but they will never recapture the spirit of the original.

Wake up, Hollywood -- remakes are not the answer!:shake:

9. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

Can someone please take away all the new toys from Robert Zemeckis? He hasn't made a decent movie since Castaway in 2000. This is the man responsible for Back to the Future, Roger Rabbit, Romancing The Stone, What Lies Beneath and freaking Used Cars!! One of the best movies ever! Enough with the remakes and the 3-D remakes. I am not impressed!

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Zemeckis finds Beatles for "Yellow Submarine"

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100112/entertainment/centertainment_us_beatles

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Will probably be like "Rock Band: The Movie". Ptooey!

12. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

How many people from this generation are going to sit and watch the old YS? I'll give you a hint, the answer is 'none'.

That's why Zemekis is making it, and why I'm glad he is. It'll bring more attention to this great music, and it'll have the all-important message of peace. At least I hope it will.

The above criticism is ridiculous. Remakes happen all the time. A Christmas Carol has been remade jillions of times, for crying out loud. But guess what? The Zemekis/Carey version was a big hit. And yet it did not subplant any other version, it merely became another one.

The original will, in all likelihood, enjoy a renewed interest, if anything.

14. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Peter Serafinowicz has been involved with a number of interesting comedy shows over here in the UK, particularly the two brilliant series of Look Around You, a spoof of 70's educational TV (first series) and "Tomorrow's World", technology of the future, shows (second series). He's from Liverpool too, at least, iirc.

My 3-year-old loves it and can quote portions of it from memory, so there's hope!

Geoff

15. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

Check out Peter Serafinwicz on Youtube, he has a lot of really funny Beatles parody skits there.

16. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

It could possibly be a good thing. Modern animation could make it really psychedelic. Trying to be hopeful here. :winkgrin:

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, that's the question, isn't it..... are they gonna ADAPT the 'style' of the original???

18. Maybe they can use the tech's shortcomings to their advantage - combine the story with the modern trend for vampire/zombies and centre the movie on the adventures of a troupe of Zombeatles...

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The original film wasn't any good- I can't imagine this remake will be any more watchable. Pass.

On the plus side, at least they aren't remaking A Hard Day's Night... yet.

20. davenav

On what planet? :confused:

21. davenav

As to the whole mo-cap question -- you guys do realize that the entire process has gone through a gigantic upgrade. Ever heard of Avatar?

22. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Now that's an Oscar winning movie. :thumbsup:

23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I want them to do a remake of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" with the Jonas Brothers.

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

After reading the news, right before I started to puke, I thought "Hey, another way to get a really discrete 5.1 surround version of some great Beatles tunes!" (Remember that the YS DVD/Rerelease was done at the "dawn" of the 5.1 era, and the tunes were never done in HiRez)

I witheld barfing until I see (and hear) the product.

25. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Finally, a confirmation that the original recordings Are to be used. So I take it then
    this film will not be called " Disney's Yellow Submarine?". Will the remake the ending with the actors in live action? One thing that may get lost is the original used different animation styles in various scenes. If they only use one style of animation, that aspect of the film is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.