Rhino Handmade releasing Jan & Dean "lost album" - Carnival of Sound*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jdmack, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the e-mail that I received from Rhino about the new Monkees boxset, there was a mysterious ad, which read "Hint Hint. Surf's Up. Another lost album will soon be found on Rhino Handmade (shhhh)" There's *no way* they could be releasing the original "Smile" tracks, is there? Anyone know, or care to speculate what this release will be?

J. D.

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Wouldn't this mean their 1971 album? And not the 1966-1967 SMiLE tracks?

3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I was wondering the same thing myself. Doubtful that there would be a major Beach Boys project like this able to escape the radar beforehand.

Methinks that it's not BB related, but I hope I'm wrong.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

This is from their September press release:

5. I'm guessing that they are talking about the release of Jan & Dean's as-yet-unreleased "Carnival of Sound", coming this year from Rhino Handmade.

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Landlocked makes more sense. That's probably it.

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It's Jan & Dean. If you go to the website, and click on the Upcoming tab, there's a text link that says "Surf's Up", and when you click it it plays about 30 seconds of "Little Old Lady From Tijuana". I did not mistype that.

9. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

On the Luxuria podcast where they played a few tracks off the Monkees set, Andrew also mentioned the Jan & Dean set, playing some items off that also. This also explains why he was able to find the Davy Jones version of Laurel & Hardy for the Monkees set.

10. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

From the J&D board:

"At long last . . . Carnival of Sound will be officially released by Rhino Handmade in early 2010.

A 1 CD / 1 LP set . . . with plenty of bonus tracks and extensive liner notes."

11. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Rhino is not releasing anything by the Beach Boys. Capitol/EMI owns the rights to all that stuff, and if a Smile box or anything like that ever appears, it will be through EMI or their corporate successor. I agree with those who suggest Rhino is referring to the lost Jan and Dean album.

12. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

More info here.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Landlocked" is not a lost Beach Boys album, it was the working title for the 'Surf's Up' album.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What next? Are they gonna make some comment like "our forthcoming release will give Creedence that there's a whole lot of HooDoo going on..." and then you'll find out it's some HooDoo Gurus release?

15. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

It is most certainly, as people have said here, "Carnival of Sound." Which is exciting. Everybody should get it. The end.

pablo fanques likes this.
  16. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Good detective work, and in truth a knowledge of simply knowing and not assuming.

Back to the Monkees appreciation threads.

17. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mystery solved. Thanks, all!

J. D.

18. bencasey

bencasey New Member

So this is what, post-accident Jan and Dean stuff on Warner? I guess its nice if you are a big fan but I've heard the Warner singles and didn't care for them.

19. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

A good comparison, because as we all know the only act that ever had anything to do with surf music was the Beach Boys, and the expression "Surf's Up" didn't exist before Brian's song.

Truthfully, when I saw the OP I was thinking of some sort of Joe Saraceno overview!

20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I too would be very interested to know the story behind this lost album. Would someone please fill me in? I loved Save For A Rainy Day.

21. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

22. After The Beach Boys' SMiLE, Carnival Of Sound is my favorite unreleased album, and I think it's Jan & Dean's greatest.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bit off topic, but wasn't there supposed ot be another compilation of unheard Dennis Wilson outtakes by now?

24. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

just got the email for Jan and Dean "Carnival Of Sound" pre-order

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.