SH Spotlight Pictures of recording studios, old and new. Do you have any?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Depends on the session, but John Palladino, John Kraus, Roy DuNann, Val Valentin, Hugh Davies - possibly others.

Great Sigma picture, thanks...

2. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Heres two studios a friend of mine runs:

bigskyaudio in Springfield, PA (Just outside of Philly)

The console he runs is the same console that was used to record SRV's Texas Flood album :) and used to be owned by Jackson Browne
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.bigskyaudio.com/
    Philly Sound Studios (Downtown Philly)
    [​IMG]
    http://phillysoundstudios.net/

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

EMI Abbey Road, Studio One, opening day... Nov 12th,1931.
    Pink Floyd... Abbey Road, 1975
    Sun Studio , or was it named Memphis Recording Service at this point ?
    Abbey Road, Studio 2

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Boy those are great...thanks!

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Eel Pie

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Last year in Nashville, this is the infamous RCA STUDIO B, where many of Elvis' great hits were recorded, most of the Everly Brothers "Cadence" hits, Jim Reeves, "He'll Have To Go", Floyd Cramer's, "Last Date", Skeeter Davis', "The End Of The World" and on and on and on...

Photo #1 is featuring my musician friend, Ryan Humbert, who at the time, was mixing his new album, "Old Souls, New Shoes", over at Jamie Tate's famous studio across town. I was an invited guest on this trip.

Chris C

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

A few more from Nashville...

Photo's #1 and #2 are inside RCA STUDIO B, back in the day, with the Everly Brothers and Jim Reeves, recording there. Photo #3 is the back of SONY NASHVILLE last year, but, if you look almost in the middle of the photo and you see that bit of a curved "quonset hut" shaped rooftop. That is all that remains outside "visually" of Owen Bradley's infamous, "Quonset Hut" studio, where the likes of Patsy Cline and Brenda Lee recorded many of their biggest hits.

Chris C

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

This thread is fantastic! Thank you everyone who has posted up pics.:righton:

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Inside "the Rolling Truck Stones Thing"

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios

Mark Knopfler's - British Grove Studios, London

11. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Wow! Another great photo thread! :righton:
    Post #55 and 56 of Real World brought back some fond memories.
    Here I am at RW circa 1989 in the main room, looks like Peter made a few changes since I was there. ;)
    Great studio and staff. The accommodations were first class all the way!

Keep the studio pictures coming folks!!

12. PROG U.K.

AIR Studios Montserrat, RIP
    Polar Studios, Sweden
    The Farm Studio,(Genesis) Surrey, England

13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

A couple of slightly mysterious shots, said to be Trident Studios in london, late 60's,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great thread! :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  14. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I love this picture.

Very nice!

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

+1 :righton:

16. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

Any pictures of The Manor?

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Staged. That mike happy engineer wouldn't have placed them like that for an actual recording.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Muscle-Shoals building and refurbished vintage studio:

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  19. blue

blue Mastering rules

What a great thread!

I see several studios that seem to have very well treated acoustics, but also some with lot's of glass, hard, tiled floors or extreme nearfield listening. Althought near field probably eliminates most room influences, can someone tell, if the final mastering of the products we listen to, is done under these conditions? Are the final masterings normally also verified under let's say normal high end listening conditions with either very efficiently or only little acoustically treated rooms?

If final monitoring often happens by using EITHER bookshelf monitors far away from walls in nearfield OR large in wall speakers in a concert hall like room OR same in a small cabin OR huge floorstanders in extreme nearfield etc., I don't wonder why recordings sometimes sound so different tonally. Many of the studios seem to have nearly all of the options, which surely helps to judge a recording by all aspects. But there seems to be nearly no "normal" listening setup.

I had the chance myself quite often to listen in a very well treated studio with extremly optimized reverbation periods and a fantastically dry bass response and to compare this listening with the same equipment in a normal room. It's a different world.

I think if all sound engineers would check their work with different "normal" high end setups, too, it wouldn't happen that otherwise very well done masterings sound i.e. bright or bass shy or bass heavy on many neutral high end home setups (you can't do it right for everyone).

The engineer I know didn't listen to home highend for nearly all his working period, just to studio equipment. Althought his room was perfect, his recordings were allways very bass shy (except with his setup).

Is this an exception?

What I don't understand at all is when recordings by the same engineer sometimes sound bass shy the other time bass heavy, the other time neutral (checked on different setups). So it seems some even don't have an "own" standard.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Capricorn Records:

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
  21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I don't think that picture of Duane and Berry Oakley was taken at Capricorn - the ABB didn't record at Capricorn until AFTER Duane's death.

22. PROG U.K.

From left to right: Roger Hodgson, Peter Henderson and Rick Davies at the Village Recorder during the recording of the Breakfast In America album.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's the album recorded on the console from Post #28.

http://www.ryanhumbert.com/music.php

24. blue

blue Mastering rules

wow great, where are such pictures (Supertramp) available?

25. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Musicland Munich. Was actually a studio in the basement of the hotel, so you can see why bands enjoyed recording there (roll out of bed, roll into the studio, roll into the bar and roll back into bed:) )

Arabella Hotel (MusicLand Studio)

Originally built as a residential block in 1966/69 (architect Toby Schmidbauer), located at Arabellapark, in the Bogenhausen neighbourhood. The studio was established by Italian record producer and performer Giorgio Moroder. Part of the block was converted to hotel rooms for the Olympic games in 1972, and named the Arabella Hotel (some rental apartments and offices remain). In 1998 it was renamed Arabella Sheraton Bogenhausen and should not be confused with the Arabella Sheraton Grand Hotel (run by the same company) across the street. I can't come up with any inside pics yet.

Attached Files:

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.