Jethro Tull Heavy Horses Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deselby, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deselby

deselby New Member Thread Starter

Hello. This is my first post.

On regard the faulty Heavy Horses remaster, I'd like to bring to your attention, something I've read in the, back then, Jethro Tull official discussion forum.

The Webmaster oj jtull.com asked Ian about this particular issue and his reply was that the tape with the string arrangement for Rover is damaged and cannot be fixed. Nothing was said about The Mouse Police...

Note this was NOT a direct reply from Ian, but one mediated by his webmaster.

2. Welcome.....

What exactly are the problems with the HH remaster?

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

4. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Is the original CD (CDP 32 1175 2) ok?

5. tootull

Should be - any concern would be with the remaster. The track sounds uncluttered now.

Ian Anderson by his own admission tried to make this album have a more cheerful sound with the remaster. He thought the original was too dark sounding.

6. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

The original Chrysalis sounds nice and warm to my ears. Although i think the JT remasters sound generally pretty good, i haven't bothered to replace the ones i had already with remasters. I think you'll be very happy with the old CD.

In regards to this being a dark album, i don't feel that way. "Stormwatch" is pretty dark, but i find Heavy Horses pretty and reflective.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I picked up a Chrysalis blue label vinyl for six bucks. The vinyl is mint. The sound is gorgeous. This was definately one of my good deals, a hot stamper for six bucks.:D

8. I like mine (US original) very much too, Tullman. What are your matrix codes please?

9. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

I asked about this in one of my inaugural posts on the forum

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=38278

Seems like the strings are missing in the remaster and there is a volume spike in Mouse Police

I wonder how the strings could be missing though. Wouldn't it have been on the original stereo masters?

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

On the inner ring of side one. I see what looks like F112 sx15 CHR-1175 AS (side one).

11. Silly me: I have misplaced (lost?!) that record!

Have bookmarked your notes though, for later.

Thanks for the trouble!

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Probably two different mixes (one with the strings, the other without) were done at the time?

Either that or the that track was remixed for the reissue.

It is funny I had never realized there were two different versions, although this is one of my favourite Tull albums. I only have the remaster, though.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

14. tootull

I bought my Canadian LP on the day of the original release.
    Dead wax Side A: CHR 1175 Part #2 (SIDE ONE)
    Side B: CHR 1175 - B (SIDE 2) FcN CANADA EMI 2

15. deselby

If Tull's webmaster was right, the strings are missing from the current reissue due to a technical problem.

Wouldn't it be nice if they re-recorded the string parts in the next reissue? Perhaps as a bonus track.

Someone in the forum mentioned clipping at the beggining of a song. I don't remember which one and I don't own the remaster in order to check this.

16. deselby

Would you please be kind enough to point me to the source of Mr. Anderson's comment?

17. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Where are the strings on Mouse Police? I just listened to my CHR-1175 A3 and B4 and I don't hear any strings :confused:

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The thing is instrumental parts can't suddenly go missing from a stereo master tape due to a "technical problem": if the master tape was damaged, it wouldn't have affected *just* the strings (and even less simply erased them).

So it must be an alternate mix from the multi-tracks.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They're supposed to be on Rover if I understand correctly. :)

20. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Oh, I see. The wording threw me.

21. tootull

Oh freak, that's from my memory, & if & when I stumble upon where I read it & got this impression I'll let you know. Sorry.

Heavy Horses remaster liner notes: "Here, on the re-mastered version of 2003, we hear at last on CD the sparkling detail of the original master tapes - fresh from the vaults..." - Ian Anderson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.