Live albums w/studio overdubs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Jan 28, 2003.

1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Two come to mind here..."The Four Seasons Live On Stage",recorded to fulfill their contract to Vee-Jay,with the Audience "Dubbed In" and Hank Williams,Sr's "Live At the Grand Old Opry"..once again,with Dubbed Audience!

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Eagles Live

3. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Get Yer Yas Yas Out. The ones that have not been tinkered with are in the minority.

4. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Yeah, according to those who've heard the bootlegs from the tour, "Alive!" isn't nearly as doctored as has oft been stated.

I think "Frampton Comes Alive" is one often cited as being mostly a studio creation. (Crowds erupting into wild frenzies over songs that hadn't been released yet at the time of the show's supposed recording being one giveaway.)

5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

+2

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

So overdubbed it should just be called And Dangerous.

7. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Exit Stage Left

9. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Cheap Trick At Budokan

The vibe still kills, but when you compare the 2 shows in the box set, it's pretty obvious that many of the guitar solos and fills are overdubbed, and purportedly, Tom redid ALL his bass parts. "Ain't That A Shame" NEVER sounds like the live album if you go to an actual show. The closing bit - guitar, guitar, bass, drums is Rick, Rick, Tom, Bun E - and in an actual live setting, it's Rick, Robin, Tom, Bun E.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I always thought that was a technique, though. Zappa's band did what were eventually live backing tracks and then "finished" them in the studio. They aren't really marketed as "live albums" as such. Is that not correct? I'm sure it's correct with at least a few tracks off of Sheik Yerbouti.

11. Well, at least the drums were recorded live.

12. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I've never seen the band discuss this. Where's this info from?

13. Lots of edits as well, with songs sometimes coming from 3 different nights. Late 80s albums such as Make A Jazz Noise Here and The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life have a "no overdubs" claim in the liner notes, despite still being heavily edited.

14. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Often with himself!

I always though ALIVE! was was more live than ALIVE II. If you watch Detroit 76 on Kissology, it sounds like ALIVE and Detroit 76 wasn't doctored.

15. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Going to see them tonight. I will have to pay attention f they play that one

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Well, the first Beach Boys live LP from '64 required them to go back into the studio and re-record several songs, including "I Get Around". On the Lp its SO obvious that IGA is the 45!!

"The Ventures On Stage" is a complete fake, Liberty had the guys come to the studio one day in '65 and set up and play live. They then overdubbed screaming crowds onto these recordings and walla! A live album.

17. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble's Live Alive has about five additional recording studios listed in the credits.

18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Europe '72 (Grateful Dead)

Also Peter Gabriel's live album.

The guitar solo for the live version of Conquistador (Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra) was supposedly added after the fact.

19. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

It has been said that Halford's vocals very fixed "a little" (most?), but did they overdubbed some guitars too?

And another question is that how overdubbed Priest...Live! was?

20. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

The Kinks - 'One For The Road' album/CD

Compare the songs that also appear on the video/DVD of 'One For The Road'.

I forget what else EXACTLY was added, but, IIRC, the synths are the main thing added.

21. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Parts of Blood,Sweat & Tears' "Live at The Isle of Wight" had been overdubbed,hadn't it? Or,at least Re-Recorded since some of those tracks were ruined by too much wind in the mics on stage that made those tracks unusable,sadly.:shake:

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so:

The Who, 'Live At Leeds' - compare to the soundboard recording floating around

23. Chromer

Chromer New Member

I have not heard of this before. Sounds pretty live to me

24. cyclebabble

cyclebabble New Member

Agreed. Those late 70s albums weren't marketed as live albums, but used the basic live tracks as the foundation of the recordings, with extensive overdubbing (and always documented in the liner notes). And as was pointed out above, the 88 band albums ("Best Band..." "Broadway the Hard Way" and "Make A Jazz Noise Here") were strictly live with no overdubs.

And Gabriel noted in the liner notes for "Plays Live" that the tracks were extensively overdubbed.

What kinda gets my goat is when an album is presented as a live document, as with Live and Dangerous, Kiss Alive II, and Frampton Comes Alive, when in fact they are at least partially created in the studio.

25. Mick recorded new vocals for several tracks in 1970 and some instrumental parts may have been overdubbed, IIRC.