Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm glad they chose that iconic image of Bill Evans for the box cover art.

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

It's not possible to compare this box with Miles box.

This is the best of Bill Evans, and I can't think of anyone who does not just love Bill Evans at Village... most people have BE @ VV really high up on the top 5 or 10 "most wanted and must have list".

The Miles box on the other hand is, for most people, the least important/interesting Miles available... it's not even part of most "most wanted and must have list" for most people. that's why it didn't sell very well, IMO.

The good stuff for Miles fans is still in the making... it seems :)

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Agreed...insofar as pertains to this fan. Miles is one of my faves in any genre, and I don't own any Prestige 45's, the 2006 CD box plenty for me, thanks. (Now $30 at Amazon, btw.)

4. SergioRZ

I'll have to order this one from the US... that's a long distance for such a big box full of vinyl to travel safely...

I wonder if the box will be sealed, and if so, should I expect them to have the vinyl records placed outside of the cardboard sleeves, to prevent split seams?

Did they do this, in the factory, for the Miles box?

:confused:

5. blue

blue Mastering rules

My experience is, you have to call them to clarify this. Usually they don't do this and usually it's too much work for them to coordinate it.

6. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

No, the LPs in the Miles box were not sealed although the box itself was sealed.

7. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Elusive Disc has always gladly accomodated my requests to ship LPs outside the covers - you may want to pick it up from them when they get it in stock. Seam splits would be my biggest concern too although my Miles box arrived okay from AS.

8. SergioRZ

So they put the LP's inside their sleeves, inside the sealed box, right?

Why don't they just place the records outside of the sleeves, side-by-side, inside the sealed box, at the factory? :confused:

9. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

Single titles

If anyone wants to sell bill Evans 45rpm albums I need several and so if you are buying box and have multiple of the same titles, let me know which one and perhaps we can work out a deal

mike

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

May I as a newbie be allowed a dumb question? What is the reason LP's like this are released at 45 rpm instead of 33 1/3? Is it because at 45 rpm there is less deviation or something like that?

I have never owned a proper turntable. As a kid I had a "record player" (for which I should be forever grateful to my parents), but having been born in 1973 I basically grew up in the cassette (ugh) and CD eras. I adore Bill Evans, and though I did not get either the complete Riverside or Fantasy boxes put out by OJC, I got all the individual OJC releases, and, more recently, the Analogue Prods. CD/SACD hybrids, which sound wonderfully natural and true. (I've also got the Verve set -- don't listen to much -- the 1980 sets -- "Turn Out the Stars" may be my favorite -- "Secret Sessions" and a few other things.)

How might this 45 rpm set compare to the SACD releases? If I went for the $349 Pro-ject Debut III turntable, which I'm considering, would that make it worthwhile? Or does one need something beyond my budget to make this set worthwhile, in which case I should stick with the SACD's? Any thoughts welcome, thanks, Sean Burke

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

more groove baby more groove... as in grooves in the vinyl. less inner groove distortion for another. mainly for improved sound quality that these r released as 45s.

I think these would sound great on about any TT. SACD is a good choice also. However, the 45s are the ultimate imo. Buy onee and see if you like it better compared to a 33.3 lp of the same title. maybe one of the AP Fantasy 45 Evans that r available at 50 bucks or something accessible. If you dont think its worth it then u can sell the 45. Be aware though that some albums are freakishly real on 45 where as others are marginally improved. Lush Life... Jazz Giant r monsters. Bill Evans is great also. However, being piano, you might not be just blown totally away. Still the Evans r a very good improvement. Waltz For Debby is amazing. Maybe try oh whats it called? Bill Evans- Introspection or something? Sorry I need coffee.

Interplay.. thats what its called.. sorry.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The SACDs are a mixed bag. Some of them are from dubs or tapes with added reverb, compression or EQ. The 45s are from the real masters.

For example, I have the SACDs of Waltz for Debby and Village Vanguard but I listen to the Complete Village Vanguard CD set instead because they sound better (probably from the real masters instead of the compiled, edited tapes).

BTW, the XRCD of Village Vanguard is great too.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Why 45 rpm? More detail as to why: Faster the speed the bigger the groove resulting in a louder overall volume which reduces that noise floor. Much improved dynamics, air and space.

btw welcome to the SHF, Sean!

14. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

No accounting for taste with the masses. I for one would take any Miles over the best of Evans. But then everybody digs Bill.

15. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Hello,

...a Miles Davis 45 RPM set...a Bill Evans 45 RPM set...
    I bet they're gonna announce a Thelonious Monk 45 RPM set in a year or so.
    and that's cool...

Larry

16. Neta

Neta Forum Resident

would be nicer if they just reissued them separately so you could just get the ones you want and not the ones you already have

17. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

I think I'll pass on the Bill Evans 45rpm set

I'd consider myself a good candidate for this box. But the more I think about it, the more I believe I won't bite.

I have the CAPJ009 WFD and the JVCXR-0051-2 LATTVV which are excellent and most probably definitivea CD and XRCD versions of these fine albums. And I have the Riverside 3CD set (3RCD-443-2). On top of that I have Moonbeams and Know What I Mean on SACD and the 45rpm APO vinyl of Interplay, How My Heart Sings and At Shelley's Manne-Hole. I have regular Fantasy vinyl of Quintessence (an excellent album btw!) and Everybody Digs... .

I do not have Explorations or New Jazz Conceptions (on any format). The first one I can still pick up for 50 USD or so. The second one is more difficult/expensive.

If anyone can give me a compelling reason why I should go for this set I am open to it.

What I should do is pick up the Miles Davis Prestige box whilst it's still 300 USD. I only have 'Miles' on APO's 45rpm vinyl.

Jw

18. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident Thread Starter

sean, go for the pro-ject Debut III
    it's really worth it

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Thanks for the replies and the welcome everybody. I think I am going to get the Debut and dip my toe in the water. I'll tell you what really appeals to me is the thought of going into one of those second-hand stores and walking out with 15 or 20 strange and unusual things for like 50 bucks.

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Just be sure to clean those strange and unusual things. :righton:

21. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

I want this box set, but the fact of the matter is that I just have to scrounge up $600 for this somehow...lotto? :)

22. blue

blue Mastering rules

I don't think they come out with it...they'd sell too little...there are not many rare Monk issues a lot of people are missing....not as much as Bill Evans...also Rollins, there's only one LP all are missing...there'd be not many buying a set for 600$ for one LP....I think they even don't sell many Miles and Evans sets...most buy the Miles set for Relaxin and the Evans set for Vanguard and Waltz...they'd buy the monk set for ? (maybe Brilliant corners) and the Rollins set for Colossus only. I would wonder if this means business....

But who knows...maybe there are many out there who bought none of the previous sets....but then all the RTI issues would have been sold out (but they didn't)

23. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

As much as I prefer vinyl to cd usually for jazz, I just listened to Explorations on sacd and sounds phenomenal. Will check my portrait of jazz sacd but at this rate given no need to get up and sonics that good and no nee to worry about ticks or pops or surface noise why not save $600 or spend on other jazz titles 45rpm. I was surprised to hear someone doesn't like the Evans' sacd. Anyone else?

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That's a very good point. If your happy with the digital versions, why spend $600.00 more for duplication. :thumbsup:

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

ok, i admit it. I just want the damn box itself to put what I already own IN it. Im such a fiend :(