Alternate/Fantasy MONKEES albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VeeFan64, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Nesmith himself quotes the title wrong in that episode.

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I also like the early version of Valleri.
    As for DB, I believe it should be it's own single (not on any album).
    Like ABM,ALBY.

Darryl

3. readr

readr Forum Resident

I try to keep with some of the original album themes, too. I don't want to get too far away from "reality", but think more like "what if I was given Lester Sills job, what would I have done"? So, using the original track lineup, for ideas, and the finished lineup, and some minor adjustments, here's what I got:

SIDE ONE
    Special Announcement/
    Pleasant Valley Sunday
    Salesman
    She Hangs Out
    The Door Into Summer
    Cuddly Toy/
    Words

SIDE TWO
    Love Is Only Sleeping
    Hard To Believe
    What Am I Doing Hangin' Round?
    Daily Nightly
    Don't Call On Me
    Star Collector

I still am holding their single, Daydream Believer/Goin' Down, for the next album. I like leading off Pisces with their strongest track, not using it later on side two, originally. It's not too difficult in leaving Pisces, pretty much, alone -- they got it right, I just tweeked it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. readr

readr Forum Resident

Here's the early 1968 album, using tracks finished by February of that year. I don't know if I would call it The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees, though. Maybe simply The Monkees Fifth Album or Daydream Believer with Valleri and 11 other tracks. I switched the sides -- I was a little wary of using the Instant Replay-heavy side as side one (cause then it totally isn't anything like The Birds...), but the album works better this way. I'll have to mix it all to mono. Mid February 1968:

SIDE ONE
    Through The Looking Glass (Boyce/Hart)
    Don't Listen To Linda (Boyce/Hart)
    While I Cry (Nesmith)
    The Girl I Left Behind Me (Sedaka/Bayer)
    P.O. Box 9847 (Boyce/Hart)
    Alvin (Tork)
    Daydream Believer (Stewart)

SIDE TWO
    Tapioca Tundra (Nesmith)
    Auntie's Municipal Court (Nesmith)
    Me Without You (Boyce/Hart)
    Carlisle Wheeling And The Effervescent Popscile (Nesmith)
    Valleri (Boyce/Hart)
    Goin' Down (Hilderbrand/Dolenz/Jones/Nesmith/Tork)

The next single is Valleri/Through The Looking Glass. Tapioca is great, and did well on the charts, but I got to go with the heavy artillery. Keep that money train rolling. Using tracks ready by July 1968, I'm going to compile a summer 1968 album next.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. readr

readr Forum Resident

Here's a possible Summer 1968 album -- this one I would call The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees. It serves as a buffer between the series and Head. Not a very strong album (I believe the slide would have started here), but it keeps them moving in the lull before their movie is out.

SIDE ONE
    Dream World (Jones/Pitts)
    I'll Be Back Up On My Feet (Linzer/Randell)
    The Poster (Jones/Pitts)
    Nine Times Blue (Nesmith)
    Rose Marie (Dolenz)
    Writing Wrongs (Nesmith)

SIDE TWO
    D.W. Washburn (Leiber/Stoller)
    It's Nice To Be With You (Goldstein)
    Lady's Baby (Tork)
    Magnolia Simms (Nesmith)
    My Share Of The Sidewalk (Nesmith)
    Zor And Zam (Chadwick/Chadwick)

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

How about some fantasy Monkees albums for the post 1970 era? Using solo material?

7. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

...if we do that I've got a great title for one courtesy of Antifrodis....! ;)

8. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Well, I finally finsihed the "alternate reality" Davy Jones solo LP...!

It's Davy's whole "Broadway Rock" thing. So, if you're craving the sound of Davy belting out show tunes, this is the fantasy compilation you need!

Only 10 tracks were available, but the LP still clocks in at close to 30 minutes.

I also tried to arrange the songs in a running order that kind of tells a story (but take that with a pinch of salt!). (I mean, it does have that Broadway musical thing going for it...)

The LP starts off with a bang as Davy sings about fame and fortune. This leads to the high life, but eventually he loses his way.

Later, as Davy reflects on his situation, he realizes that fame is not as important as love and the LP ends on that up-note.

“The Monkees Present: DAVY! (On The Great White Way)
    Side 1:
    1. Look Down
    2. I'm Gonna Try
    3. The Party
    4. Changes
    5. So Goes Love

Side 2:
    1. Ceiling In My Room
    2. Daddy's Song
    3. War Games
    4. My Share Of The Sidewalk
    5. Smile

Produced by The Monkees, except So Goes Love, produced by Michael Nesmith. (Yes, he was Monkee too, but this song was produced two years earlier and Mike was the official producer of it.)

Since "I'm Gonna Try" and "The Party" pretty much sound the same, I fused them together, so the first song goes right into the second one. (IMO) this works because the listener doesn't get the chance to realize the beginning of each song is practically identical (a short crossfade).

The pictures are in slightly higher resolution on my flickr page:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/michelle_66/4359381770/

Attached Files:

9. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Now that the BB&M boxed set & bouns 45 are out (with their five versions of "Lady's Baby") I was able to finish "Torkmented Genius".

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Peter's obsession with getting "Lady's Baby" down on tape, made it only natural that he'd feature it prominently on his "solo" LP - namely by giving it the entire second side!

This out-of-the-box thinking also helped to give this LP its title...

In all fairness, the first side of the LP isn't that hard to get through. Once you're in Tork-mode, the vocals aren't that bad (they only seem that way when you go from a Mike or Micky tune...). So, one Tork track after the other kind of works! (Try it yourself if you dare!)

Torkmented Genius
    Produced by Peter Tork
    Colgems COSP-1004

Side 1
    1. Seeger's Theme (Acoustic Version)
    2. (I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love (from BB&M box)
    3. Come On In (stereo version from ML2)
    4. Merry Go Round (mono version from ML3)
    5. Tear The Top Right Off My Head (Peter-sung version from BB&M box)
    6. Can You Dig It (Peter-sung version from "Head" CD)

Side 2
    1. Lady's Baby (version 1) - Acoustic version
    2. Lady's Baby (version 2) - Standard mono version
    3. Lady's Baby (version 3) - BB&M bonus 45
    4. Lady's Baby (version 4) - 1968 stereo mix
    5. Lady's Baby (version 5) - cleaned-up one from internet broadcast (used the 45 to replace the missing bits)
    6. Lady's Baby (version 6) - mono mix with baby sounds.

The pictures can be seen in higher resolution here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/michelle_66/4367119967/

Attached Files:

10. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

So, you would say that the webcast version is different from the 45rpm? I figured that they were the same, save for the kind of normalization (volume boost, etc) inherent in most internet/radio broadcasts. What differences do you hear? I'll have to listen again.... (I'd also love to hear your "cleaned-up" version.)

11. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

That back cover shot is beautiful!

12. TimM

TimM Senior Member

That is great work Michelle, unfortunately Peter didn't hold up his end musically. He played an important role in the TV show and pushed hard to try and make the Monkees a real band, but he just didn't have the gift to create commercial pop music.

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I've gotta break topic here for a second and tell Michelle that the BEATLES AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL sleeve in your Flickr account is simply STUNNING! The work that you're doing (Beatles, Monkees. etc.) is truly amazing looking stuff! Keep it up!

14. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

Thanks to a suggestion from Michelle, I made another round of Valleri/Tapioca Tundra sleeves. I kept the same photos from the last batch, but added some color to the headers. Hopefully I spelled everything right this time. :righton:

Ben

Attached Files:

15. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

Delete post to re edit

16. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

Here is my take on the fantasy single of Circle Sky / Can You Dig It. I'm going with the idea that Circle Sky was released instead of Porpoise Song.

Ben

Attached Files:

17. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

That's really awesome!!!!!! Now that's a movie tie-in!:righton:

18. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Great work!

19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Nice job on the 45 sleeves! Like the purple & yellow!

20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Why do I get the feeling that those pistures will be used for the bonus 45 for the Head deluxe set if/when it comes out?
    That is fantastic, Ben!:righton:

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Awesome job on the sleeves.
    Prefer your original color concept for the header of the Valleri sleeve.
    Better color blend.

Darryl

22. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

After seeing the avatar for JDistheone. I was inspired to make some for the withdrawn single. Enjoy! :)

Ben

Attached Files:

23. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Kirshner on the cover! Genius! :D LOL

24. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

That's great, Ben!!!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  25. readr

readr Forum Resident

Need help/opinions:

I'm putting together a fantasy album of tracks from 1972, for a Monkees album. I figured with the FNB trilogy complete, Nez could have recorded and added tracks (instead of releasing them as the SNB) to a pool of songs already recorded by Micky and Davy (who also has, by now, a solo album in the can) to make another patch-work group LP. Here's the tracks I know are going on: Who Was It?, Rubberene, You're A Lady, Oh, Someone, Easy On You, Unattended In The Dungeon, and A Lover's Prayer.

I'll use Mike's Tantamount To Treason album as the base for his tracks. I'm set on Mama Rocker and Cantata & Fugue In C&W, but what else? I have ideas but would like to here the best other three. I like Bonaparte's Retreat, Wax Minute and Talking To The Wall. An arguements for the others? Also, am I missing any Davy tracks from this time, minus I Can Make You Happy (no way!), to fill out his contribution (prefer not to use Bell material, like Girl (because I would associate that with his "solo" work). The MCA years would be Davy and Micky's source for contributions.

I think 1972 is the best chance to make a fantasy album. The story would be after a Monkee burnout in 1970, Mike went off to produce a series of solo records with his new group The First National Band. Davy recorded a solo record for Bell (all Bell recordings are associated with his solo deal), and Micky took a break to rest and recuperate. By 1972, the group was ready to get back to work on a new Monkees record, as well as a need for new material as the series shifts from CBS to ABC for syndication. The new album will be released as Tantamount To Treason. The track listing is as followed (post suggestions here):

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.