Are Klipsch speakers really that bright?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerryb, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Interesting, and nice speakers! :cool:

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Quite a "stack" there!

3. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

there definitely are audiophile enthusiests who are fans of rock music.....ive had many high end speakers that just wont handle rock music at high volumes...blown tweeters...cracked woofers etc....klipsch rocks....love my rf7s they handle it all and then some...and they sound great

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Are those chair backs being used for the mouth of that horn?

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

They probably do. It seems that is not an uncommon form of praise.

I need speakers that handle other genres, so have never been interested in the Klipsch brand.

6. motorcitydave

Cool. They sound like they're up my alley. :cool:

7. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

you really owe it to yourself to ck them out regardless of genre.....i listen to other forms of music also...and they really do shine....and at a very affordable price point to boot

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I listen to acoustic jazz more than anything, and my Heresys sound dandy with my Voice of Music tube amp.

9. motorcitydave

Oh I will. I like the price, and I like the fact that Klipsch allows you to order direct and has a money back guarantee on those.

10. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Well!

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Your Musical Favorites and Preferences
    Shaped by the 60's and 70's here's my Top 10 Favorite Bands: The Who, The Beatles, U2, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Clash, The Eagles, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin. Also love The Byrds, Little Feat, CSN, Neil Young, J.Cash, Elvis, Cure.

Your speakers probably suit the music you love. I'm happy for you.

12. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Klipsch sound best with really good tube amps, a good TT, and a good pressing of well recorded music. Klipsch also tend to be less forgiving of lower quality speaker cables, ICs, and PCs. They can sound "bright" and "harsh" matched to SS gear and a digital source, especially if all associated cabling is low quality.

13. misterweiss

misterweiss Active Member

When I bought my Paradigms I compared them side by side to Klipsch speakers. The Klipschs sounded a hair boomier. The top end was very close, but the midrange on the Klipschs was a bit distant and muddy by comparison. In my opinion. To my ears.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The one's with the horns are.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I don't understand how anyone can comment that ALL Klipsch speakers are overly bright. Klipsch has made a vast variety of speakers for more than 60 years and they all sound different. I've heard Klipschorns and my RF7s sound completely different.

It's like saying all JBL speakers sound like L100s and they don't. I can't and couldn't stand to listen to the 100s as they gave me a headache but other JBLs sounded great.

Do ALL PSBs and Paradigms sound the same? Do all Focals and Magnepans sound the same?

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The one's with the horns that I have ever heard are.:D

17. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

The fix is to listen to them at low to moderate low levels. If you push them they will scream at you no matter how perfect everything else is. Those horns will squawk.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The Fix is in!

>>>>>Thats not a "Fix" in my book, its a curse.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just not true.

20. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

I always figured my Fortes were too ham-fisted to give a hoot about cabling.

21. Gregory Earl

(Big smile as I type) Horrible response. Let's get to the heart of what you typed. You said....
    I'm not a "hard core audiophile" because I like or prefer Klipsch? You ever been on the Klipsch forum? They're nut's about music, music equipment and Klipsch. Many of them are DIY types that love to get their hands dirty as this thread has already shown. Horn lovers are looked down on by those that seem to think just because they have been there and done that and moved on to some other speaker, they are more evolved. Why this elitist attitude exists puzzles me in a hobby such as ours.

And I'm happy you are happy that I am happy.:D

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Nah. You would hear everything just fine.

23. Gary Warren

Gary Warren New Member

Quite a pearl of wisdom there. That is the bottom line-some speakers work better with certain material than others in the judgment of most people that like that kind of material.

Electrostat fans very often include chamber music fans and vice versa.

People who like to hear brass and woodwinds, the details of the tonguing and embouchure and fingering, are often "hornys". So are rock fans into guitarists, particularly guitarists with notable right hand work. (Or left hand if you are a left-the pick hand, meaning picking, rather than shredders where the fret hand does most of the work.) And banjo, mandolin, acoustic fretted string guys.

The bass reflex or acoustic suspension box speaker is a good tradeoff-it does a lot of things pretty well, rather than one thing superbly. I could be happy with (any of) several largish box speakers but prefer horns given the opportunity. I probably wouldn't go for dipoles although they are the best at certain things, just not those I favor.

24. Gregory Earl

I agree with what you say here Gary. Nice post.

But apparently since you like horns you're not a hardcore audiophile. Maybe just a audiophile. Or part one. Not sure what the standard or grade is. LOL. Maybe someone can tell us.

Metralla?

25. Gary Warren

Gary Warren New Member

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.