Can a cheap turntable damage records (MY 1ST POST!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

True. Reconsider the headphones suggestion. Plenty of good choices for around $100. Get yourself a headphone amp and you can dispense with the receiver and speakers and get a taste of high end audio. Might just be the thing to get you through grad school with a minimum of trouble from your housemates.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Don Lindich recommends this set by Audio Technica in his Sound Advice blog: http://www.soundadviceblog.com/advi...th-m35-headphones-product-of-the-day-17-2010/

They're $59.94 at amazon today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00242J0XU

Today's (02/25/10) Product of the Day is the current model of Paradigm's Atom, which I think Dennis can find in Phila (there are three dealers).

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/revi...peakers-product-of-the-day-20-2010/#more-1741

http://www.paradigm.com/en/dealer_l...s.php?DealerSelect=590&type=Custom&&zip=19104
    http://www.paradigm.com/en/dealer_l...s.php?DealerSelect=591&type=Custom&&zip=19104
    http://www.paradigm.com/en/dealer_l...s.php?DealerSelect=909&type=Custom&&zip=19104

3. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I like the look of those a lot more than the pair I posted. Sam Tellig raved about these in the June 2008 issue of Stereophile.

However, any Grado headphone may be uncomfortable. I have a pair of the 60s, and while they sound great, I have to take them off after about an hour.

5. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

I have used Grado for 13 years now. Loosening the headband helped a lot, and I replaced the original pads about 4 or 5 years ago.

I am intrigued by the Audio Technicas. I haven't actually heard them, but thought about getting them just for a change of pace from the Grados. And you can't beat the street price of under $90.

I have also heard the Porta Pros and might get a set for my Sony mp3 player/computer as I am getting tired of the sound of my Sony in ear headphones for the gym and office.

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

It's just a different philosophy. I think his existing speakers with a half-decent little sub would sound a lot better than more expensive speakers with no sub. I used my Mirage 290iS bookshelf speakers for years as you describe. My Mirage's are not high end by any means, but they are respectable bookshelf speakers. I tolerated the inadequate bass output because the top end sounded so nice to my ears. About a year ago I added a sub to the mix in my office and the difference was incredible. My sub is not anything special, just a 10" passive sub run powered an old JVC receiver, but the difference in sound quality is astonishing. I wouldn't be without it.

7. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Wouldn't it still be better for the OP to get something as good as your Mirages first?

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm thinking about buying them, too. Then I could move my computer speakers to another bedroom system.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Regardless, a boarding house is probably an awful place to enhance your bass.

10. PhilBiker

No. I think the overall sound would be MUCH better with the Sony speakers he already has with a modest sub than something like my Mirages with no sub.

11. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oops! Apparently I missed a lot of good posts.

Headphone suggestions seem worthwhile. In regards to speakers, perhaps I'll exercise a bit of patience and wait until a great deal comes my way on Craig's List close to my neighborhood. In the meantime I may just get a pair of headphones.

For $53 the Audio-Technica ATH-M35 Studio Headphones someone suggested seems worthwhile. I can't help but notice they are manufactured for tracking in a home recording studio, which is something I need anyway. I've worn studio headphones in the past that were ungodly uncomfortable, but that seems to be an unfortunate reality (the grumblings about the comfort of Grado headphones are echoed in numerous online reviews).

One person suggested a "headphone amp." Is this to say that the headphone jack on my reciever is not capable of providing adequate sound?

12. dennis1077

It's sounding good. When I listening to certain records (early Genesis comes to mind) I'm hearing subtle things in the production that I missed before. Very cool!

13. PhilBiker

Yes. But IMO that's incorrect. The headphone jack on your receiver is perfectly adequate. Just be cautious with listening volume when using headphones. It's very easy to cause hearing damage. Keep the volume low and get used to the low volume. It's easy to do so.

14. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Like everything audio, it depends on the headphones you are using, and the quality of the headphone jack on your receiver. It isn't just about the volume, but the quality of the sound at low volumes. Your receiver might be fine, or it might not be. Get a set of headphones and experiment.

If you really want to explore the world of headphones, try this forum. These guys live and breath headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

15. dennis1077

LOL. My hearing is already shot. I've been playing in bands since I was 14 and only started wearing ear plus within the past year. I'm always having to ask people to repeat what they say and I absolutely can't hear people talk in noisy bars.

16. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Patience is a good thing. But you should still look around and educate yourself in the meantime. Did you check out any of the Craigslist options from a couple of weeks ago? Any auditions?

RE: Grado. I have owned mine for years. They were uncomfortable at first, so I called Grado in Brooklyn thinking I would get forwarded to a customer service person. John Grado answered the phone, and suggested I bend the band a little to adjust to the size of my head. Now I can listen for hours before my ears get sore.

17. dennis1077

Yes! I'm debating what to do. I can afford the pair for $70 easily.....BUT....I'm considering the pair that went for $400. I'm wondering if I can talk him down to $300. I'd have to wait a few weeks before I can make that offer though.

18. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Did you audition them? What are your thoughts about the sound quality compared to your Sonys?

19. dennis1077

No, didn't audition them. Just sort of checked them out online.

20. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

I had those exact Sony's for a while until I got my used Paradigms. Granted my Paradigms are better, but those little Sony's perform really well for 50 bucks a pair, very impressive actually.

21. dennis1077

I'm not TOTALLY dissatisfied with them. Just curious really. I may swing by Best Buy after work and pick up a pair of speaker stands for them.

22. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

You need more information. You can be patient, but you don't get any closer to making a decision until you actually audition some different speakers. Different brands of speakers sound quite different. It isn't even a given that a pair of used speakers selling for $400 will be better than $70 speakers. You could find the less expensive models might be just what you need, especially given your modest receiver.

You don't even know if the speakers are still available. Again, it is great to hear opinions from the forum, but you really won't know your personal preference until you actually get out and hear different speakers.

23. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Try Craigslist. Good stands aren't cheap, and are usually not sold at Best Buy. And, of all the things where used or new literally makes no difference, it is speaker stands.

24. dennis1077

I feel sort of funny going into a strangers home, auditioning speakers and then saying, "Hmmm....I'll THINK about it." I feel almost obligated to buy.

25. dennis1077

LOL. Is there a such a thing as a "good" stand and a "bad" stand. Is a speaker stand a speaker stand or do the materials used attribute to the sonic qualities produced by the speaker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.